So what is current advice for dealing with snake bite?.?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I can't foresee me ever seeing a snake, but curious as to what to do, if bitten. Other than the obvious, seek medical care. Are there better-quality kits for snake bite......???

There are lots of venomous snakes in Australia.....so they provide good references on first aid.

Is it available in English.....??? I did a month trekking in New Zealand. Wonderful, wonderful people, just wish they spoke English.

If self treating see pearl, excellent story.

Generally folks that self treat rest and take antihistamines/analgesics- histamines aren't a major component of snake venom but may be helpful on the off chance you are personally allergic and there is some beneficial placebo effect there aswell- Kits that use suction are not good, ive read the best kits do significant tissue damage and only remove 2% of the venom at best- tournequits aren't good. Electrical shocks (tazers, car batteries etc) do not work.

The accepted advice is to remove all rings, bracelets and restrictive clothing- if possible elevate limb above the heart (ideally 45-60°) to reduce swelling- If heading to the hospital (or still deciding) take a marker and draw a circle around the swelling and write the time- check every 20 minutes and draw additional circles outlining the swelling and write the time of observation- tracking the swelling will give medical professionals a better understanding of the severity of the bite which may save you some $$ if they are sure you dont need antivenom. You can also record any symptoms that you/other person is having and make sure to either accurately identify the snake or write down as precise of a description as possible so that hopefully the snake can be identified so that the proper medicine can be administered.

If self treating see pearl, excellent story.

Generally folks that self treat rest and take antihistamines/analgesics- histamines aren't a major component of snake venom but may be helpful on the off chance you are personally allergic and there is some beneficial placebo effect there aswell- Kits that use suction are not good, ive read the best kits do significant tissue damage and only remove 2% of the venom at best- tournequits aren't good. Electrical shocks (tazers, car batteries etc) do not work.

The accepted advice is to remove all rings, bracelets and restrictive clothing- if possible elevate limb above the heart (ideally 45-60°) to reduce swelling- If heading to the hospital (or still deciding) take a marker and draw a circle around the swelling and write the time- check every 20 minutes and draw additional circles outlining the swelling and write the time of observation- tracking the swelling will give medical professionals a better understanding of the severity of the bite which may save you some $$ if they are sure you dont need antivenom. You can also record any symptoms that you/other person is having and make sure to either accurately identify the snake or write down as precise of a description as possible so that hopefully the snake can be identified so that the proper medicine can be administered.
Watching the swelling is very important. Usually that is what they will do in the hospital, giving anti venom is rare! If the swelling is subsiding in four hours it's good! It is scary, feeling like your heart and lungs aren't working right, blurry vision, nausea, dizziness! Dogs get bit by poisonous snakes and make it, we had a deer get bit in the face a few years ago, she made it!

What would happen if you got a blood transfusion from a honey badger? @Sourdough 🤔
Have you ever seen the video of the Cobra and The Honey Badger....???

no but I've been hearing about it in other circles, church, work, now here. ;) watching a 10 minute YT video on it. There is a shorter vid but YT isn't cooperating.
This one is educational. But someone took other film footage and did very funny (but also contained the "S" word) story telling. The crude one is very-very funny, but crude.

Last edited:
as far as I know, @Sourdough you can click on the envelope and enter the recipient's name, no matter their station
OK.......I normally just click on their username. Once there just click on message. But yours restricts who can see it. No problem.

Please link the crude one ( x-sailor has heard it all)

Ben
We are having the administrators vote. I can't afford to get ban from many more forums.

Administrators said "NO"

But you can easily find it on You Tube. Title is "Honey Badger don' give a "S".

This is in my book from 1882? Not sure how current you are looking for 😂 (But interesting)
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back