Some music

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of you know this version... same tune... different words.

That was quite popular on the AM stations i listened to in the 70s. Along with...

Turtle creek
Old green teeth
Dead skunk in the middle of the road.

I don't know the real titles but that is what I remember of the words.

Ben

This is song is very old. Bluegrass is how I learned it as a little kid. I knew it by the name "Wayfaring Stranger". Later I learned the song was older.

I bought the Movie "1917" sometime ago. This song is sung by this man in the movie... haunting given the backdrop. Maybe ya'll like it.

Jos Slovick - I Am a Poor Wayfaring Stranger (from 1917) - Official Video

This is song is very old. Bluegrass is how I learned it as a little kid. I knew it by the name "Wayfaring Stranger". Later I learned the song was older.

I bought the Movie "1917" sometime ago. This song is sung by this man in the movie... haunting given the backdrop. Maybe ya'll like it.

Jos Slovick - I Am a Poor Wayfaring Stranger (from 1917) - Official Video

This is the first time I heard the song . History says no one knows who wrote it . Late 1700s . maybe mountain people , slave song , nobody knows..Yes it stays with me

This group does a nice job with Wayfaring Stranger. Watching them was the first time I heard it.

This is my favorite from Jamie Wilson. Hope you all like it.

A series of songs and ballads from the 1800’s, a few from the Scottish highlands. Some of the most beautiful acoustic guitar work I’ve ever heard.

The artist is Ron Block, of Alison Krauss and Union Station. He’s the guy playing banjo in “O’Brother Where Art Thou?”. He also did much of the guitar work you heard along with Dan Tyminski.

https://ronblock.com/store
On his website scroll down and on the left you'll see an album listed:

A Light So Fair:
Peaceful Guitar Instrumentals

It's free to listen, a lot of his music is free to listen to, or you can buy any of it. He plays a lot of other kinds of music besides bluegrass but there is plenty of great bluegrass.

These ballads aren’t everyone’s cup of tea I'm sure. It’s almost entirely instrumental, very soft, very slow… simple melodies. The vocals are just faint background harmony on a few songs.

Latest posts

Back