Soup Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisconsin Style Beer Cheese Soup​

Rich and decadent and wonderful!

Prep Time35 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Total Time1 hour
Servings4 servings
Calories650kcal
AuthorRecipeGirl.com (recipe shared from Great Basin Brewing Company)

INGREDIENTS​

SOUP BASE:​

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • ½ cup finely chopped carrot
  • ½ cup finely chopped celery
  • ½ cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 whole bratwurst sausage, thinly sliced
  • 1½ cups any crisp pilsner style lager
  • 1½ cups any fine German style lager, such as Marzen or Oktoberfest
  • 2 cups chicken stock or broth
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream

ROUX:​

• 2 tablespoons salted butter
  • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour

THE CHEESE!​

• 1 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese

INSTRUCTIONS​

PREPARE THE SOUP BASE:​

• In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat; sauté the carrots, celery, onion and sausage until the onions are translucent. Add the beer, chicken stock, paprika, thyme and Worcestershire sauce. Stir occasionally and bring to a boil. Turn the burner to low and add the cream.

PREPARE THE ROUX:​

• In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in about 2 tablespoons of flour to make a thick paste. Stir constantly over medium-heat until the mixture turns light brown and has a nut-like aroma.
  • Add the roux to the saucepan one teaspoon at a time stirring continuously, until the soup has the consistency of a chowder. Finally, add the cheese a little at a time, stirring until it is dissolved.

NUTRITION​

Serving: 1serving | Calories: 650kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 151mg | Sodium: 731mg | Potassium: 511mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4327IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 289mg | Iron: 2mg

BBLife's Clam Chowder

6 cans minced clams
4 cups diced potatoes
2 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped bacon
1/2 teaspoon Texas Pete
1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire
Salt and Pepper to taste

Separate clams from juice (keep juice)
Put Potatoes, Clam Juice, Texas Pete, Worcestershire into a large pot and add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
In a skillet, Cook bacon until almost done then add minced clams and cook for 2 minutes on high
Add onions and celery and cook 3 minutes on high then place Clams, Bacon, Onions and Celery to pot with potatoes.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add water for desired consistency
Salt and Pepper to taste. Do not add salt until the end as it can be salty from the clams and bacon. Be sure to taste first!
Enjoy.

https://www.quick-german-recipes.co...O8Oxc7fdhZHd068bz_R1xU8FeSulNH8LHsNNh0c97D35A

Oma's Red Lentil Soup Recipe​

A hearty red lentil soup recipe, aka rote Linsensuppe, is so easy to make. Once cooked, the red lentils take on a reddish-golden color and taste similar to yellow split pea soup. It's a staple in winter, but is good all year round.

PREP TIME​

5 minutes

COOK TIME​

20 minutes

TOTAL TIME​

25 minutes

INGREDIENTS:​

• 1 package (1 pound) red lentils, rinsed
  • 8 cups water
  • 2 - 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
  • 1 onion, large dice
  • 2 carrots, large dice
  • 1 - 2 stalks celery, large dice
  • 2 - 3 raw potatoes, large dice
  • 1 pound (approx.) meat (such as smoked meat, kielbasa, sausage, ham, or wieners )
  • salt, pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:​

1. Put rinsed lentils in large stock pot. Add water, bouillon cubes, onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, and meat.
  2. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Season to taste.

NOTES/HINTS:​

• If soup is too thick, add extra water. If it's too thin, stir in some instant mashed potato flakes.
  • You can adjust the quantities of potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, and onion to your taste.
  • If you like, add some chopped garlic or garlic powder.
  • Green (or brown) lentil soup is made the same way - you may need to add extra water. This will also take longer to cook - I usually simmer this for about one hour. Stir occasionally.

German Red Lentil Soup Recipe​

A hearty red lentil soup recipe, aka rote Linsensuppe, is so easy to make. Once cooked, the red lentils take on a reddish-golden color and taste similar to yellow split pea soup. It's a staple in winter, but is good all year round.

PREP TIME​

10 minutes

COOK TIME​

25 minutes

TOTAL TIME​

35 minutes

SERVINGS:​

Makes 8 servings

• 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 4 carrots, diced
  • 4 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 8 cups water, hot or boiling
  • 2 cups rinsed red lentils
  • 3 bay leaves
  • pinch curry powder
  • Montreal Steak Spice (about 1 teaspoon)
  • 1 tablespoon Vegeta* Food Seasoning
  • smoked sausages or wieners (about 3 or 4)
  • salt, pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:​

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Sauté onions until translucent.
  2. Add carrots, celery and garlic. Continue sautéing for several minutes.
  3. Add hot water, lentils, bay leaves and pinch curry powder.
  4. Bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes or until lentils are soft and veggies are tender.
  5. Add sliced sausages or wieners. Simmer for a few minutes to heat the meat.
  6. Season with salt, pepper and Montreal Steak Spice.
  7. Remove bay leaves and serve.

Amish Golden Stew Recipe (Slow Cooker & Stovetop):

Ingredients
:
2 cups of cooked cubed ham
1/2 cups of peeled and sliced or cubed carrots
1/2 cup of diced onion
2 cups of peeled and cubed potatoes
10 ounces of frozen peas
2 cups of chicken broth
10.5 ounces of celery soup
10.75 ounces of cheddar cheese soup
Instructions for Slow Cooker:
1. Place the sliced or cubed carrots, cubed potatoes, diced onion, and pre-cooked cubed ham in the slow cooker.
2. Pour in the chicken broth to cover the ingredients. Adjust the amount of broth according to your preferred thickness.
3. Add the cheddar cheese soup and celery soup (or substitutes, if you prefer).
4. Stir all the ingredients together in the slow cooker until well combined.
5. Cover the slow cooker with its lid and set it to cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours. The cooking time may vary depending on your slow cooker.
6. About 30 minutes before the stew is done, stir in the frozen peas. Continue cooking until they are heated through.
7. Taste the stew and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
8. Serve the Amish Golden Stew hot, garnished with some fresh herbs if desired.
Instructions for Stovetop:
1. Combine onions, carrots, potatoes, and ham in a large stockpot. Add 3 cups of chicken broth and simmer for 20-30 minutes until tender.
2. Stir in cream-based soups and peas. Adjust consistency with additional chicken broth if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes until heated through.
4. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and enjoy!

One thing I used to make when my kids were growing up was...
Road Kill Soup
Boil 1lb burger, crumble fine, skim the best you can.
A diced onion
In the same water boil short broken lengths of spaghetti (1-2") until almost done
Garlic, I liked it from the jar you keep in the fridge
Add a bag of frozen mixed veggies
Add a can of diced potatoes.. They keep there shape the best
Add beef soup base.... NOT bullion as it is too salty
Black pepper

The fisherman dinner by the cannery on the wharf in Vancouver ...spit... had the best smoked salmon eggs benedict and homemade clam chowder.... That is about the only thing I miss about Vancouver ....spit...

https://fork-lore.com/2024/02/02/gr...jcAO-X0PQYgjfl0xb1IangqDjkfYtglKsl5pXMBZunw8A

Green Chicken Enchilada Soup​

• 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1lb chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces (I used rotisserie chicken)
  • 1 large shallot or small onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
  • 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend (could use AP flour if not GF)
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup milk, any kind
  • 15oz can gluten free green enchilada sauce (I like Hatch brand)
  • 4oz can chopped green chiles
  • 2, 15oz cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed (I used 1 can white beans, 1 can black beans)
  • 2 teaspoons cumin (I use 1 tsp.)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 8oz freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese, plus more for topping
  • Toppings: tortilla strips, shredded Monterey jack cheese, fresh cilantro, green onions, lime wedges, sour cream, green Tabasco sauce

DIRECTIONS:​

1. Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped chicken breasts and shallot/onion, season with salt and pepper, then saute until chicken is opaque, 4-5 minutes – chicken does not need to be entirely cooked through. Add garlic then saute until extremely fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
  2. Sprinkle in flour then stir to combine and cook while stirring for 1 minute. Slowly stream in chicken broth while stirring until a smooth sauce has formed then pour in remaining chicken broth and milk. Add green enchilada sauce, canned chiles, beans, cumin, and dried oregano then turn heat up to bring soup to a bubble, stirring occasionally. Turn heat down to medium-low then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot occasionally.
  3. Turn heat off then remove pot from hot burner, add half the cheese, and then stir until completely smooth. Add remaining cheese then stir until completely smooth. Let soup sit and thicken for 15 – 20 minutes then scoop into bowls and serve with toppings.
Recipe from IowaGirlEats

here is some real German lentil soup:
( I have never even seen red lentils in a store there LOL, must be like "german chocolate cake" , not anything even remotely close to that in Germany)

regular brown lentils
carrot
leek
potato
onion , garlic
( I add celery but my mom didn't , they didn't have the green celery there only white roots)
chicken bouillon cube
salt pepper and a little vinegar
Sausage ( best with blood sausage but ok with kilbasa or hot dogs also)

I think they mixed up German soup and Indian dhal ( I just made some) there is definitely not any curry powder in ANY German food

Indian lentils:

red lentils or yellow Thor dal , boil with some tumeric until soft
fry some mustard and cumin seeds in oil, then add chopped onion and any kind of hot peppers ( I used jalopenos today) , plus garlic, after that cooks for a while, add chopped tomatoes. And fry until everything is sort of mush
then when the lentils are done, smash some of them, and add the tomato stuff, plus some salt and fresh cilantro
goes on rice or with bread

Brisket stew
Smoke not bbq
Smoke a brisket and catch the drippings
Have your family shindig and enjoy your day

Make a gravy with the drippings

In a big pot
2 cups each of the trinity 1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
1/2” water. Cook the veggies down till soft
Add that to the gravy
Chop up the left over brisket
Add To the pot
Add beef stock to bring the volume of liquid up

Back burner. Simmer low after bring to a boil

Somewhere along the way. Add salt pepper garlic.

Tacos
Thin cut steak in strips. Marinate overnight. Soy sauce, liquid smoke.
Pan fry. Quick flash cook

In a lg skillet. 2 cups each chopped trinity add taco seasonings or mcCormic garlic herb
Cook till tender
Add steak
Prepare flour tortillas ( heat em up)

Make your tacos

Growing up with grandparents who were also farmer/ranchers, soup was common for lunch on chilly days. Please add your favorite recipes here, as I will be migrating some of mine from the old house. I may cross post some into the canning threads as well.

Tomato Soup to can
14 quarts tomatoes
7 medium onions
1 stalk celery
14 sprigs parsley
3 bay leaves

14 TBSP butter
14 TBSP flour
4 TBSP salt
8 TBSP sugar
2 tsp pepper (can omit)

Wash, cut up tomatoes. Chop onions, celery, parsley, bay leaves. Add to tomatoes, cook until celery is soft. Put through sieve. Rub butter and flour to make a smooth paste. Add to boiling soup, stir to prevent burning. Add salt, sugar, and pepper. For smoother consistency, put through sieve again. Fill clean jars to 1/2 inch of top. Put on lids, screw band tight. Process in water bath 15 minutes.

I may make this without the roux (flour and butter) and add that when I open a jar to make soup.
That sounds good! Have you ever used an Insta-pot? I just ordered one because I want to make my own yogurt, but I saw some delicious meals that people on Amazon made with it.

This sounds good to me! They said it can be frozen.

https://iamhomesteader.com/cajun-potato-soup/?mibextid=ncKXMA

Cajun Potato Soup​

Cajun Potato Soup is made with andouille sausage, potatoes, vegetables, and a blend of Cajun spices, enriched with heavy cream and cheddar cheese for a spicy, creamy, and comforting soup! It's perfect for those looking to satisfy their taste buds with a zesty Cajun twist on a classic potato soup.

Prep Time20minutes mins
Cook Time45minutes mins
Total Time1hour hr 5minutes mins

Servings: 6 people

Calories: 490kcal

Author: Amanda Rettke--iamhomesteader.com

Ingredients​

Sausage​

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 ring (13.5 ounces) andouille sausage, sliced into ¼-inch rounds

Vegetables​

• 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
  • ½ cup diced celery, about 1 rib
  • ½ red bell pepper, seeded, diced
  • 2 teaspoons garlic, minced

Soup​

• 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon paprika
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 4 cups (960 g) chicken broth
  • 4 large russet potatoes, peeled, cubed
  • ½ cup (119 g) heavy whipping cream
  • 1 cup (113 g) mild cheddar cheese, shredded
  • parsley, chopped for garnish

Instructions​

Sausage​

• To a large pot and over medium heat, add the oil. Once hot, add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside on a plate or in a bowl while you prepare the rest of the soup.

Vegetables​

• To the same pot over medium heat, add the onion, celery, and bell pepper. Cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.

Soup​

• To the pot, add Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, chicken broth, and potatoes. Reduce heat. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
  • Return the sausage to the pot and add in heavy cream and shredded cheese. Let the soup simmer for an additional 5 minutes, or until everything is heated through and the cheese is melted.
  • Garnish with parsley. Serve warm.

Nutrition​

Serving: 1portion | Calories: 490kcal

Latest posts

Back