Soup Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.recipething.com/recipes/show/91836-winter-corn-chowder
Winter Corn Chowder
Ingredients
  • 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped fine
  • 16 oz. frozen corn
  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • Heavy cream, to serve
  • 1 tbsp fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
Directions
  1. Line a dish with paper towels. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the paper towel-lined dish.
  2. Add the onion to the saucepan and saute until fragrant and softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the corn, season with salt and pepper and saute 2 minutes, until softened.
  3. Add the potato and broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the potato is tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
  4. Spoon half of the soup into a blender and pulse until smooth. Stir the puree back into the saucepan with the remaining soup. Ladle the soup into bowls and swirl a bit of cream on top of each. Sprinkle the parsley and reserved bacon over the soup. Serve hot with Rosemary Oyster Crackers.

I should make a big pot of this and eat it for a while now!

https://www.recipething.com/recipes/show/91412-low-calorie-soupLow Calorie Soup

30 calories per cup.

Categories: Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 large onion
  • 4 carrots
  • 4 celery stalks
  • 1/2 head of cabbage
  • 1 c. tomato juice
  • 3 c. water
  • 6 bullion cubes
Directions
  1. Chop onion, carrots, celery, and cabbage. Set aside.
  2. Combine water, bullion cubes, and tomato juice. Season to taste.
  3. Add to chopped vegetables and simmer 1 hour.

https://www.recipething.com/recipes...ith-wild-rice-and-maytag-blue-cheese-croutons
Vidalia Onion Soup with Wild Rice and Maytag Blue Cheese Croutons

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup wild rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 4 Vidalia onions, julienned
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • Salt and black pepper
  • Croutons:
  • 8 slices French bread
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 oz. blue cheese
Directions
  1. To prepare the rice: Combine the rice and water in a medium saucepan and simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 45-60 minutes, or until tender.
  2. Meanwhile, prepare the soup: Saute the onions with the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat for 30-40 minutes, or until caramelized. Add the stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Wrap the basil, chives, tarragon, and parsley in a small piece of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen string to form a sachet. Place the sachet in the onion broth and simmer for 1 minute. Remove the sachet and discard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  3. prepare the croutons: Preheat the oven to 400. Brush both sides of the bread slices with the olive oil. Place the bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until light golden brown. Spread the blue cheese over the croutons while they are still warm.
  4. Place some of the wild rice in each bowl and ladle the onion broth into the bowls. Float 2 croutons in the center of each bowl and top with black pepper.

This sounds interesting. I've never had anything like it before.

https://www.recipething.com/recipes/show/90676-greek-beef-stew
Greek Beef Stew

Serve with oven-roasted potatoes and sprinkle with feta

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 3 lb. beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 3 cups dry red wine
  • 10 fresh or canned plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped, or 3 cups canned tomato puree
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 lbs. pearl onions, unpeeled
  • 3/4 cup dried currants
Directions
  1. Combine 1 tsp of the cinnamon. 1/2 tsp of the cloves and 1 cup of the red wine in a large, deep bowl. Add the beef, cover and refrigerate overnight, turning the beef occasionally. Drain, reserving the marinade, and dry the meat well before browning.
  2. Warm 1/4 cup of the oil in a frying pan over high heat. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper to taste and brown on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
  3. In a large, heavy pot warm the remaining 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and saute until tender and translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic, cinnamon and cloves and cook for a few more minutes. Add the browned beef cubes, wine, tomatoes or tomato puree and bay leaves (and the reserved marinade, if you have it) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the meat is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  4. Once the meat is cooking, peel the pearl onions. Add the onions and currants to the stew during the last 45 minutes of cooking. Taste and adjust the seasoning just before serving.

https://www.recipething.com/recipes/show/92213-easy-dumpling-soupEasy Chinese Dumpling Soup

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves 6 people
Categories: Soup
Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp Sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp Minced, fresh ginger
  • 4 Garlic cloves, minced
  • 6 cups Chicken stock
  • 3 tbsp Soy sauce
  • 1/2 bunch Green onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 Large carrots, julienned (or 1 cup if using pre cut)
  • 1/2 tsp Sea salt
  • 1.5 lb bag Frozen dumplings ( potstickers or mini potstickers)
  • 2 cups Fresh spinach, packed
  • 1 tsp Sesame seeds, optional
Directions
  1. Heat sesame oil in a soup pot set over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
  2. Add chicken stock, soy sauce, green onions, carrots and salt to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the dumpling (potstickers) to the pot and bring back up to a boil. Cook for 4 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in spinach. Serve topped with sesame seeds and fresh green onions.

Youngest son was just asking about what we call 'Glorified Ramen Soup' which can be interchanged with 'Potsticker Soup' same basics of whatever you have on hand for meat & veggies and some spinach for greens and topped with a sliced boiled egg. Very similar to your Dumpling Soup.

I guess ours would be called a Redneck version of the Chinese War Mein or Dumpling soup.

Since it just started snowing again, soup sounds wonderful

Youngest son was just asking about what we call 'Glorified Ramen Soup' which can be interchanged with 'Potsticker Soup' same basics of whatever you have on hand for meat & veggies and some spinach for greens and topped with a sliced boiled egg. Very similar to your Dumpling Soup.

I guess ours would be called a Redneck version of the Chinese War Mein or Dumpling soup.

Since it just started snowing again, soup sounds wonderful
I haven't eaten ramen in years, but when I did, I often added stuff and improved it with broth, veggies and leftover meats. That original spice packet is probably full of msg, known for giving migraines, so it gets thrown out by me. If anyone ends up with a migraine, or a really bad headache, you can go back up to 24 hours and think about what you ate, according to the dr. I went to.

I haven't eaten ramen in years, but when I did, I often added stuff and improved it with broth, veggies and leftover meats. That original spice packet is probably full of msg, known for giving migraines, so it gets thrown out by me. If anyone ends up with a migraine, or a really bad headache, you can go back up to 24 hours and think about what you ate, according to the dr. I went to.
Yes I can understand that. We've not had problems with it. When the boys were young and money super tight, ramen was a frequent lunch for them, but never plain and I'd always include real foods to give it a boost for nutrition and why I called it 'glorified'.

More often than not, nowadays I use Chinese noodles or even spaghetti noodles if I have too, and still add the meat & veggies and greens.

And actually that's not so hard to do lately. Stores around here like Walmart don't have Top Ramen or Marchaun ramen anymore. It's been replaced by some odd brand that is 'flavored' vegetarian ramen. Thanks but no

Yes I can understand that. We've not had problems with it. When the boys were young and money super tight, ramen was a frequent lunch for them, but never plain and I'd always include real foods to give it a boost for nutrition and why I called it 'glorified'.

More often than not, nowadays I use Chinese noodles or even spaghetti noodles if I have too, and still add the meat & veggies and greens.

And actually that's not so hard to do lately. Stores around here like Walmart don't have Top Ramen or Marchaun ramen anymore. It's been replaced by some odd brand that is 'flavored' vegetarian ramen. Thanks but no
Gluten is the issue for my daughter. There was a period of time that we could get a form of ramen that was made with rice noodles. It is great to have some of these in a desk drawer, bug out bag, and pantry for quick meals. I am with you though, there are so many ways to improve it.

Found the rice noodle variety on Amazon and ordered a dozen.
instant rice noodles.jpg

With a severe cold front expected for tonight/ tomorrow , I'm thinking about using the leftover turkey , some onions , peppers , sweet potatoes , black eyed peas and make some kinda stew in the crockpot this evening. Or in the Dutch oven in the fireplace.

With a severe cold front expected for tonight/ tomorrow , I'm thinking about using the leftover turkey , some onions , peppers , sweet potatoes , black eyed peas and make some kinda stew in the crockpot this evening. Or in the Dutch oven in the fireplace.
I go from one pot of soup to the next throughout the winter months and especially when it is cold out. I just went through some of the recipes that I have posted and went shopping for the ingredients I was missing for some of them. I also recently ordered some freezer containers so that I can save some in serving sizes.

I go from one pot of soup to the next throughout the winter months and especially when it is cold out. I just went through some of the recipes that I have posted and went shopping for the ingredients I was missing for some of them. I also recently ordered some freezer containers so that I can save some in serving sizes.
Thanks for all those recipies Weedy, there's nothing like good soup this time of the year!!

Thanks for all those recipies Weedy, there's nothing like good soup this time of the year!!
You're welcome. I search for a recipe and then often stumble upon a collection of recipes, like I did recently when I found this batch of soup recipes. My grandparents usually made soup with leftovers in the winter, so it is something that I grew up on. Imagine how interesting it is when someone says they don't care for soup.

You're welcome. I search for a recipe and then often stumble upon a collection of recipes, like I did recently when I found this batch of soup recipes. My grandparents usually made soup with leftovers in the winter, so it is something that I grew up on. Imagine how interesting it is when someone says they don't care for soup.
Couldn't even imagine that!!

https://www.recipething.com/recipes/show/47726-broccoli-and-cheese-soup-panera-style
Broccoli and Cheese soup Panera style

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serves 8 people
Categories: CrockPot, Soup
Ingredients
  • 2 T. Butter, melted
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 1/2 c. all purpose flour
  • 4 c. half and half
  • 4 c. chicken broth
  • 1 lb. fresh broccoli
  • 2 cups, julienned carrots
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 t. nutmeg
  • 16oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions
  1. Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Whisk butter and flour over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add half and half. Add chicken stock, still whisking.
  2. Simmer 20 minutes.
  3. Add broccoli, carrots and onion. Cook over low heat until veggies are tender – about 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup will have thickened by now.
  4. Carefully transfer soup mixture to blender and puree. Return soup to pot (or crockpot) over low heat. Add cheese. Stir until well blended. Add nutmeg right before serving.
I'm getting ready to make broccoli cheese soup and was reading this recipe. The sequence of the recipe is not how I think I've done it before. I would cook the vegetables first, then add the half and half and thicken it. I would think there would be too much chance of it scorching if the dairy was in it and the thickening was added before the vegetables were cooked. Anyone else? I'm going to look for a different recipe. I've made broccoli cheese soup before, but not this recipe.

I'm getting ready to make broccoli cheese soup and was reading this recipe. The sequence of the recipe is not how I think I've done it before. I would cook the vegetables first, then add the half and half and thicken it. I would think there would be too much chance of it scorching if the dairy was in it and the thickening was added before the vegetables were cooked. Anyone else? I'm going to look for a different recipe. I've made broccoli cheese soup before, but not this recipe.
Yeah, I agree! Half and half would not hold up that early!

This is a keto broccoli cheese soup recipe I made a few years ago. I don't have any cream cheese and would like to make Broccoli Cheddar soup recipe without the cream cheese.

Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup

This is the recipe I made yesterday. It is delicious. I also blended it. I left out the xantham gum.

ingredients
2 tablespoons Butter
1/ 8 Cup White Onion
1/2 teaspoon Garlic, finely minced
2 Cups Chicken Broth
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Cup Broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
1 Tablespoon Cream Cheese
1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese; shredded
2 Slices Bacon; Cooked and Crumbled (Optional)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional, for thickening)

instructions
In large pot, saute onion and garlic with butter over medium heat until onions are softened and translucent.
Add broth and broccoli to pot. Cook broccoli until tender. Add salt, pepper and desired seasoning.
Place cream cheese in small bowl and heat in microwave for ~30 seconds until soft and easily stirred.
Stir heavy whipping cream and cream cheese into soup; bring to a boil.
Turn off heat and quickly stir in cheddar cheese.
Stir in xantham gum, if desired. Allow to thicken.
Serve hot with bacon crumbles (optional)

notes
This soup has a thinner, more broth-like consistency because it does not have a roux or any thickening agents. If you don’t add something like xanthan gum, it won’t be the thick soup you might be used to.

Please note that I am not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information that is discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates based on NET carbs. If nutrition is important to you, I highly encourage you to verify any data you see here with your favorite nutrition calculator.

nutrition

• Calories: 285
  • Sugar: 1g
  • Fat: 24g
  • Carbohydrates: 3g Total, 2g NET
  • Fiber: 1g
  • Protein: 12

This is a keto broccoli cheese soup recipe I made a few years ago. I don't have any cream cheese and would like to make Broccoli Cheddar soup recipe without the cream cheese.

This is the recipe I made yesterday. It is delicious. I also blended it. I left out the xantham gum.

ingredients
2 tablespoons Butter
1/ 8 Cup White Onion
1/2 teaspoon Garlic, finely minced
2 Cups Chicken Broth
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Cup Broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
1 Tablespoon Cream Cheese
1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese; shredded
2 Slices Bacon; Cooked and Crumbled (Optional)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional, for thickening)

instructions
In large pot, saute onion and garlic with butter over medium heat until onions are softened and translucent.
Add broth and broccoli to pot. Cook broccoli until tender. Add salt, pepper and desired seasoning.
Place cream cheese in small bowl and heat in microwave for ~30 seconds until soft and easily stirred.
Stir heavy whipping cream and cream cheese into soup; bring to a boil.
Turn off heat and quickly stir in cheddar cheese.
Stir in xantham gum, if desired. Allow to thicken.
Serve hot with bacon crumbles (optional)

notes
This soup has a thinner, more broth-like consistency because it does not have a roux or any thickening agents. If you don’t add something like xanthan gum, it won’t be the thick soup you might be used to.

Please note that I am not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information that is discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates based on NET carbs. If nutrition is important to you, I highly encourage you to verify any data you see here with your favorite nutrition calculator.

nutrition
  • Calories: 285
  • Sugar: 1g
  • Fat: 24g
  • Carbohydrates: 3g Total, 2g NET
  • Fiber: 1g
  • Protein: 12
Different! I use corn starch to thicken, few different cheeses, cream of cheddar and cream of onion soups! I don't follow recipies, just do it!!

https://www.winnipegjewishreview.com/article_detail.cfm?id=3151&sec=2
GOLDA MEIR 'S CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE IS DECLASSIFIED

1x1spacer.gif

1x1spacer.gif

1x1spacer.gif
1x1spacer.gif
img1_3151.jpg

Golda Meir testing her soup
Former prime minister Golda Meir visits Kiryat Gat in 1970 (photo credit: Lehava Center Qiryat Gat via the PikiWiki - Israel free image collection project)

img2_3151.jpg

Golda Meir’s chicken soup recipe National
Israel National Archives
GOLDA MEIR 'S CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE IS DECLASSIFIED

by Rhonda Spivak, Dec 11, 2012

Finally, what we've all been waiting for. Israel's National Archives has released former Prime Minister Golda Meir's recipe for chicken soup.
The chicken soup recipe was entered as a document in English by the national archives more than 30 years ago. It's not clear at the time of this writing whether the national Archives also preserved a sample of Meir's soup, nor is it clear how it would taste 30 years later.
The typed one-page recipe calls for chicken, parsley, celery, carrots, onions, a pinch of paprika, salt and pepper, and appears on a page of what appears to be Foreign Ministry-headed paper. and looks as if it’s marked as secret, bearing the stamp “Incoming cable, classified.”
But the light-hearted National Archives blog on which it was uploaded assures readers this is “an optical illusion,” which resulted from the fact that the recipe was photocopied on top of other, unrelated, documents.
The Ukranian-born, Milwaukee-raised Meir hosted members of her government at home in a forum that was known as “Golda’s kitchen,” (Hamitbachon shel Golda)and even cooked for them herself.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette first published the chicken soup recipe on December 4, 1974, and Koor industries considered producing “Golda’s Soup” for a mass market four years later.
But according to Howard Kleinberg, managing editor of the Miami News in 1969, Golda didn't care for her recipe: "She told me she didn't make a very good chicken soup, but her son thinks she makes a very good gefilte fish."
You can try it for yourself to see if it's tasty. See the recipe after the Editor's note below.
Editor's note: On the subject of Golda, I once met an Israeli jazz musician about 6 yeas ago when he was in Winnipeg who said that he had rented out a room from Kibbutz Revadim in the Negev., which turned out in fact to be the room that Golda Meir lived in when she lived on the Kibbutz. He said at the time he rented it for not much more than $200 a month. He added "The room was left virtually the same as it was when it was hers," and that as far as he could tell,"The sheets hadn't been changed." His claim to fame as he joked was "I slept in Golda Meir's bed." :
Golda Meir's Recipe for Chicken Soup
Boil the chicken with parsley, celery, cut-up carrots, peeled onion, salt, pepper, and a pinch of paprika, until the chicken is tender.
If you like rice, you may add it after straining the soup, bringing to boil for another quarter of an hour.
Mrs. Meir generally serves chicken soup with Kneidlach which she prepares as follows.
The matzos (unleavened bread) are soaked in cold water until soft, then squeeze dry, crumb with a fork and add fried onions and a little oil, some parsley, salt, pepper, and two beaten eggs. Add enough matzo meal for binding, Make into small balls, set aside before serving for one hour. Half hour before serving drop the balls into the boiling soup and cook for almost half an hour.

Kneidlach are dumplings. In this recipe, matzo balls.

I searched for taco soup recipes here, and none showed up. I did see that many of you frequently have taco soup for meals. We're doing a meal from church of taco soup, corn bread, etc. and taco soup is the main course. The recipe we are using is a tried and true one, one that has been served to children at an after school tutoring program before that was loved by all of the children. No directions, just ingredients. Not hard to know how to put it together if you've done much cooking in your life.

Taco Soup with Black Beans

1 lb. Ground beef browned and drained
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
15 1/4 oz can corn undrained
15oz can black beans undrained
15 1/2 oz can red kidney beans undrained
1 envelope dry hidden valley ranch dressing mix
1 envelope dry taco seasoning
1 small onion chopped

I searched for taco soup recipes here, and none showed up. I did see that many of you frequently have taco soup for meals. We're doing a meal from church of taco soup, corn bread, etc. and taco soup is the main course. The recipe we are using is a tried and true one, one that has been served to children at an after school tutoring program before that was loved by all of the children. No directions, just ingredients. Not hard to know how to put it together if you've done much cooking in your life.

Taco Soup with Black Beans

1 lb. Ground beef browned and drained
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
15 1/4 oz can corn undrained
15oz can black beans undrained
15 1/2 oz can red kidney beans undrained
1 envelope dry hidden valley ranch dressing mix
1 envelope dry taco seasoning
1 small onion chopped

This sounds like something I will pressure can! Thanks!

This sounds like something I will pressure can! Thanks!
When I searched for it, it was mentioned in the canning sections. Evidently it is something that is commonly canned. I have made something similar, but I don't think I've ever followed a recipe. I just fried burger, drain, and added the other ingredients. Those of us who often cook like that can easily figure it out.

Golda Meir's Recipe for Chicken Soup
Boil the chicken with parsley, celery, cut-up carrots, peeled onion, salt, pepper, and a pinch of paprika, until the chicken is tender.
If you like rice, you may add it after straining the soup, bringing to boil for another quarter of an hour.
Mrs. Meir generally serves chicken soup with Kneidlach which she prepares as follows.
The matzos (unleavened bread) are soaked in cold water until soft, then squeeze dry, crumb with a fork and add fried onions and a little oil, some parsley, salt, pepper, and two beaten eggs. Add enough matzo meal for binding, Make into small balls, set aside before serving for one hour. Half hour before serving drop the balls into the boiling soup and cook for almost half an hour.

I might be wrong here but I believe having eggs and chicken is a violation of Kosher. Are there any who know for sure?

I might be wrong here but I believe having eggs and chicken is a violation of Kosher. Are there any who know for sure?
I'm not sure about eggs and chicken, but definitely dairy (milk and cheese) and chicken are not kosher.

Research!
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-it-kos...o eat chicken and,meat , not chicken and eggs.

Why is it kosher to eat chicken with eggs while it is not kosher to eat meat with milk?

“Thou shall not boil a lamb in it's MOTHER'S milk.” That is the passage in Leviticus from which it's derived. From that foundation consider both limitations + underlying reasons.

Last edited:
Pearl,
It is a scientific fact that eggs came first. Fish were laying eggs long before land animals existed and land animals preceded birds by millions of years. Land animals, at least most of them laid eggs too. Chickens lay eggs because their predecessors laid eggs. It worked for dinosaurs so it was a tested system for procreation and came naturally to the modern dinosaurs, chickens.
Whenever I look at chickens I see those "terrible lizards".

Pearl,
It is a scientific fact that eggs came first. Fish were laying eggs long before land animals existed and land animals preceded birds by millions of years. Land animals, at least most of them laid eggs too. Chickens lay eggs because their predecessors laid eggs. It worked for dinosaurs so it was a tested system for procreation and came naturally to the modern dinosaurs, chickens.
Whenever I look at chickens I see those "terrible lizards".
Thank you!!! I'll always have an answer to that age old question now! 😉😊

This recipe would be great for packing for lunch, if you have access to boiling water at lunch time. I also thought about most of the ingredients being dehydrated, kept dry, and in a jar for a shelf stable meal that requires boiling water with the exception of the miso paste and tamari, but I think you could substitute soy sauce packets for the tamari.

I am going to cross post this recipe into the make your own bouillon thread, because it has a different bouillon recipe with it. Make your own Bouillon
Some of us like a little kick in our foods and the wasabi will add that. If and when we have a gluten free thread, it could also go there!

https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/gluten-free-instant-noodle-cups/?go_print
Gluten Free Ramen Noodles

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: >2 minutes
Yield: 4 noodle cups
Ingredients
Bouillon Powder
1/2 cup (40 g) nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons onion flakes (or 1 tablespoon onion powder)
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon wasabi powder (if you can’t find it, leave it out)
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon light brown or coconut palm sugar
Instant Soup
4 “nests” gluten free ramen or rice noodles
Raw shredded carrots
Sugar snap peas, blanched in boiling water for 30 seconds
Sliced button or miniature portobello mushroom, blanched in boiling water for 30 seconds
Fresh baby spinach leaves
1 cup cubed extra-firm tofu (raw or baked, as described above) or cooked and diced chicken breasts
2 tablespoons gluten free miso paste
4 teaspoons gluten free tamari
1/4 cup Bouillon Powder (from above)
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped fresh or 2 tablespoons freeze-dried scallion greens

Instructions

• First, make the bouillon powder. Place all of the bouillon ingredients in a medium-size bowl and mix to combine well. Place in a resealable glass container (a small mason jar works great), and set aside.
  • Next, cook the noodles one nest at a time according to the package directions or by boiling them in about a quart of water until they separate and begin to soften. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking, and set them aside briefly. If you don’t plan to assemble the noodle cups right away, toss the softened noodles in a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil to prevent clumping.
  • To assemble the instant soups, set out four heat-safe jars that can accommodate about 20 fluid ounces in volume (I use 19.6-ounce straight-sided Weck jars). In each jar, layer the ingredients in the following order: about 1 cup total vegetables (spinach leaves, carrots, blanched mushrooms, blanched sugar snap peas), 1/2 cup tofu or chicken, 1 1/2 teaspoons miso paste, 1 teaspoon tamari, one nest of softened noodles, 1 tablespoon bouillon powder and, finally, scallion greens to taste. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve (you can store assembled cups for up to 3 days if your ingredients are fresh).
  • When ready to serve, if the assembled cup has been refrigerated, allow it come to close to room temperature first. Then, fill each container with boiling water (leaving a small space to permit covering the container) and cover tightly. Allow the container to steep for 2 minutes. Open, stir gently and enjoy.
  • Adapted from Serious Eats Instant Noodles. Originally published on the blog in 2014. Video, some photos, some text new. Recipe adapted slightly but largely unchanged.

Latest posts

Back