Soup Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I understand now. It's not the brick style of packaging but the brand of cheese you can't find.
Sorry, I misled the conversation. I don't believe I have ever seen the brand so I learned something new, thank you.
Not a brand, but a type of cheese, like brie, cheddar, colby, jack. It is a German variety of cheese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_cheese

https://www.farmforum.net/2018/01/05/be-ready-for-extreme-cold-this-winter/

Creamy Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup

2 Tbsp. butter
1 medium onion diced (about 1 cup)
1 c. chopped white mushrooms
1/2 c. diced carrots
3 c. low-fat milk
1/4 c. flour
2 c. chicken broth, low sodium
2 c. cooked wild rice
3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, chopped (optional)

In a large pot, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms and carrots; saute until onions are soft (about 10 minutes). Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, whisk milk and flour over medium heat, stirring frequently, until milk starts to boil. Whisk constantly for one minute or until milk thickens. Pour into onion mixture and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken broth and cooked rice; cook for 10 to 15 minutes (or until carrots are soft). Ladle into bowls and top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese and 1 teaspoon parsley. Makes six servings. Each serving has 326 calories, 15 grams (g) fat, 17 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber and 381 milligrams sodium.

I always have the small (6 cup) crockpot going. Into it goes the veggie cooking liquids, the defatted pan scrapings from cooking meat, and all bones. Makes the best broth, which is then re-cycled in gravies (we both like gravy) as well as soups. I basically use the recipe from Adelle Davis' 'Lets Cook it Right' (Davis was a nutritionist popular in the 1970s, with a PhD in nutrition.). For anyone who might want it, here 'tis:

Soup Stock
Select large soup kettle (I use a slow cooker) with a flat base and a tight fitting lid; put over heat and add:
accumulated bones, meat trimmings, and or fresh bones
2 quarts water
1/4 c vinegar
2 tsp salt
Cover and simmer 3-4 hours or cook 30 min in a pressure cooker. If odor of vinegar can be detected at the end of this period, uncover kettle and boil vigorously a few minutes until vinegar has evaporated. Add:
chopped parings (washed vegetables before peeling) and leftovers
1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed black or white peppercorns
1 whole cayenne or chili terpine
2 or 3 crumbled bay leaves
Force the chopped vegetables down into the stock and cover utensil; reduce heat and boil slowly 15 minutes. Remove stock from heat; if convenient, let soak overnight; strain stock through colander and discard bones and parings. If stock is not to be used immediately pour it into a jar and chill; remove fat. Freeze if desired. Use stock for sauces, jellied meats, soups, bouillons, consommes and for general cooking.
Variations
Cook heart or tongue in the stock to be served cold, reheated, or added to soup.
If the odor of vinegar does not disappear quickly, add 2 or more crushed eggshells.
Beef stockl for jellied bouillons, consommes, aspics: Purchase 2 pounds or more of ribs, back bones, or any bones from young but matured beef. Prepare as in basic recipe (above). If stock is not a firm jelly when refrigerated, reheat and add 2 to 4 teaspoons gelatin soaked in 1/2 cup water.
Chicken stock: Purchase 2 pounds or more of chicken feet. Wash and chop bones into 1 inch pieces; proceed as in basic recipe. Delicious stock which costs almost nothing can be ma
de from chicken feet. Stilbestrol is injected into the necks of most commercially raised chickens; therefore do not make stock from chicken necks.
Clear soup stock: To clear stock, reheat strained stock and add several shells from raw eggs or the uncooked white of 1 egg; stir well, simmer 5 min and strain. Small particles stick to raw egg white and are held fast as soon as it cooks.
Dark soup stock: Include 1/2 pound or more of soup meat, preferably heel of round; dredge with whole wheat flour; brown well before adding water and bones.
Light soup stock: Use fresh veal or lamb bones, chicken legs, or leftover chicken turkey, rabbit, veal, and pork bones; omit any vegetable scraps which may give it a dark color.
Stock of uncooked meat and fresh bones: Parboil beef shank or oxtail; ask butcher to saw shank into 1 inch pieces. When meat is almost tender, add vegetable parings, cook and strain. Squeeze juices from parings and discard bones, returning meat to soup.
Vegetable cooking water: Use or omit bones; put vegetable parings, salad and vegetable scraps, and leftovers to be discarded into large utensil; add 1-2 teaspoons salt and enough water to cover when cooked. Boil slowly for 15 minutes. Shred any leafy vegetable after cooking, and let stand 4 hours or overnight; strain through colander. Use for general cooking, decreasing the amount of salt called for in the recipes. sing this extract instead of water can add immeasurably to health, especially when vegetables are free of sprays and grown on composted soil.

The only thing I do is use a larger crockpot to make the stock; if making a lot, I freeze the extra in 2-cup amounts in freezer bags that I stack in the freezer (I freeze them flat so they stack easily.) For my soups I use a 6 cup crock pot, so I'm not eating a whole week of the same soup. I use the above stock as a base, add some dried beans, then whatever I feel like. Soup for breakfast is a nice change in cold weather.

sorry the post was so long....

I always have the small (6 cup) crockpot going. Into it goes the veggie cooking liquids, the defatted pan scrapings from cooking meat, and all bones. Makes the best broth, which is then re-cycled in gravies (we both like gravy) as well as soups. I basically use the recipe from Adelle Davis' 'Lets Cook it Right' (Davis was a nutritionist popular in the 1970s, with a PhD in nutrition.). For anyone who might want it, here 'tis:

Soup Stock
Select large soup kettle (I use a slow cooker) with a flat base and a tight fitting lid; put over heat and add:
accumulated bones, meat trimmings, and or fresh bones
2 quarts water
1/4 c vinegar
2 tsp salt
Cover and simmer 3-4 hours or cook 30 min in a pressure cooker. If odor of vinegar can be detected at the end of this period, uncover kettle and boil vigorously a few minutes until vinegar has evaporated. Add:
chopped parings (washed vegetables before peeling) and leftovers
1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed black or white peppercorns
1 whole cayenne or chili terpine
2 or 3 crumbled bay leaves
Force the chopped vegetables down into the stock and cover utensil; reduce heat and boil slowly 15 minutes. Remove stock from heat; if convenient, let soak overnight; strain stock through colander and discard bones and parings. If stock is not to be used immediately pour it into a jar and chill; remove fat. Freeze if desired. Use stock for sauces, jellied meats, soups, bouillons, consommes and for general cooking.
Variations
Cook heart or tongue in the stock to be served cold, reheated, or added to soup.
If the odor of vinegar does not disappear quickly, add 2 or more crushed eggshells.
Beef stockl for jellied bouillons, consommes, aspics: Purchase 2 pounds or more of ribs, back bones, or any bones from young but matured beef. Prepare as in basic recipe (above). If stock is not a firm jelly when refrigerated, reheat and add 2 to 4 teaspoons gelatin soaked in 1/2 cup water.
Chicken stock: Purchase 2 pounds or more of chicken feet. Wash and chop bones into 1 inch pieces; proceed as in basic recipe. Delicious stock which costs almost nothing can be ma
de from chicken feet. Stilbestrol is injected into the necks of most commercially raised chickens; therefore do not make stock from chicken necks.
Clear soup stock: To clear stock, reheat strained stock and add several shells from raw eggs or the uncooked white of 1 egg; stir well, simmer 5 min and strain. Small particles stick to raw egg white and are held fast as soon as it cooks.
Dark soup stock: Include 1/2 pound or more of soup meat, preferably heel of round; dredge with whole wheat flour; brown well before adding water and bones.
Light soup stock: Use fresh veal or lamb bones, chicken legs, or leftover chicken turkey, rabbit, veal, and pork bones; omit any vegetable scraps which may give it a dark color.
Stock of uncooked meat and fresh bones: Parboil beef shank or oxtail; ask butcher to saw shank into 1 inch pieces. When meat is almost tender, add vegetable parings, cook and strain. Squeeze juices from parings and discard bones, returning meat to soup.
Vegetable cooking water: Use or omit bones; put vegetable parings, salad and vegetable scraps, and leftovers to be discarded into large utensil; add 1-2 teaspoons salt and enough water to cover when cooked. Boil slowly for 15 minutes. Shred any leafy vegetable after cooking, and let stand 4 hours or overnight; strain through colander. Use for general cooking, decreasing the amount of salt called for in the recipes. sing this extract instead of water can add immeasurably to health, especially when vegetables are free of sprays and grown on composted soil.

The only thing I do is use a larger crockpot to make the stock; if making a lot, I freeze the extra in 2-cup amounts in freezer bags that I stack in the freezer (I freeze them flat so they stack easily.) For my soups I use a 6 cup crock pot, so I'm not eating a whole week of the same soup. I use the above stock as a base, add some dried beans, then whatever I feel like. Soup for breakfast is a nice change in cold weather.

sorry the post was so long....
Thank you, kapydell. I have several of her books and have since the 1980s. I like her nutritional ideas.

Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup

This is the recipe I made yesterday. I made 4 times the recipe. It is delicious. I also blended it. I left out the xantham gum.

https://www.heyketomama.com/keto-broccoli-cheddar-soup/

ingredients
2 tablespoons Butter
1/ 8 Cup White Onion
1/2 teaspoon Garlic, finely minced
2 Cups Chicken Broth
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Cup Broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
1 Tablespoon Cream Cheese
1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese; shredded
2 Slices Bacon; Cooked and Crumbled (Optional)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional, for thickening)

instructions
In large pot, saute onion and garlic with butter over medium heat until onions are softened and translucent.
Add broth and broccoli to pot.Cook broccoli until tender. Add salt, pepper and desired seasoning.
Place cream cheese in small bowl and heat in microwave for ~30 seconds until soft and easily stirred.
Stir heavy whipping cream and cream cheese into soup; bring to a boil.
Turn off heat and quickly stir in cheddar cheese.
Stir in xanthan gum, if desired. Allow to thicken.
Serve hot with bacon crumbles (optional)

notes
This soup has a thinner, more broth-like consistency because it does not have a roux or any thickening agents. If you don’t add something like xanthan gum, it won’t be the thick soup you might be used to.

Please note that I am not a certified nutritionist. Any nutritional information that is discussed or disclosed in this post should only be seen as my best amateur estimates based on NET carbs. If nutrition is important to you, I highly encourage you to verify any data you see here with your favorite nutrition calculator.

nutrition

• Calories: 285
  • Sugar: 1g
  • Fat: 24g
  • Carbohydrates: 3g Total, 2g NET
  • Fiber: 1g
  • Protein: 12

Last edited:
This is the next soup I am going to make.
https://ketogasm.com/cauliflower-parmesan-soup-recipe/

Cauliflower Parmesan Soup

A decadent, creamy cauliflower soup without any cream at all!

Course Dinner, Lunch, Main Course, Side Dish, Soup
Cuisine American
Special Diet Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 6 Servings
Calories 240 kcal
Author Tasha Metcalf
Ingredients
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 onion sliced
  • 1/2 leek sliced
  • 1 head cauliflower chopped
  • 2 cups vegetable broth (1 bouillon cube per 2 cups)
  • 2-3 cups water depending on consistency
  • 2 tablespoons thyme chopped
  • 1 cup parmesan cheese fresh
Instructions
  1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large pot.
  2. Add salt, onion, and leek. Cook until onion becomes soft and translucent.
  3. Add half of cauliflower, 4 tablespoons butter, 2 cups broth and 2 cups water to pot. Bring to simmer for 10-15 minutes, until cauliflower is tender and falling apart.
  4. Add 3/4 of remaining cauliflower to pot and continue to simmer.
  5. Melt 2 tablespoons butter with thyme and remaining cauliflower florets. Stir as the butter begins to bubble and brown.
  6. Once the cauliflower in the pot is tender, remove from heat and place in blender. Add parmesan cheese.

7. Being careful to cover blender vent with towel, blend simmered cauliflower mixture until smooth. Add additional water to adjust consistency of soup if needed. Blend some more.
  8. Transfer blended soup to bowl.
  9. Garnish with golden florets and drizzled brown butter.
Recipe Notes
For a dairy-free version, omit Parmesan and replace butter with ghee.

5 g net carbs per serving.

Nutrition Facts
Cauliflower Parmesan Soup

Amount Per Serving
Calories 240 Calories from Fat 180

% Daily Value*
Total Fat
20g31%
Saturated Fat 12g60%
Cholesterol
51mg17%
Sodium
785mg33%
Potassium
342mg10%
Total Carbohydrates
7g2%
Dietary Fiber 2g8%
Sugars 2g
Protein 8g16%

Vitamin A16.6%
Vitamin C62.4%
Calcium24.1%
Iron6.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

This is not a keto recipe, but much of it could be done from preps in a SHTF situation:

http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2...eed:+PennilessParenting+(Penniless+Parenting)

Thai Corn Soup with Coconut and Curry Recipe- Gluten Free, Easy, Vegan Option
Ingredients
3 cups canned or frozen corn (2 small cans of corn)
2 cups coconut milk
3 tablespoons green curry paste
5 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon salt or to taste
2 tablespoons potato, corn, or tapioca starch (optional)
Rice noodles (optional)

Instructions:
1. Blend the corn in a food processor or blender with a little bit of the coconut milk and the green curry paste. Stop when the corn is either fully smooth or slightly chunky, depending on your preference.

2. Add in the rest of the ingredients other than the rice noodles.

3. If you want it a bit thicker, add the starch, and bring to a boil, stirring the whole time, cooking until thickened, a few minutes after it comes to a boil.

4. Serve with rice noodles, if desired.

Enjoy!

Super Detox Soup

from Natural Grocers Health Hotline Magazine, Jan 2018 #01

Prep 25 minutes
Cook 20 minutes
Total 45 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
4 cups homemade chicken stock
1 medium red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut in half and thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms, caps only (or substitute cremini or white button mushrooms, include the stems and thinly slice)
1 cup chopped purple or green cabbage
1/2 cup chopped broccoli or cauliflower florets
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups cooked chicken (breast or thigh meat), cubed or shredded
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes

Instructions:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and saute, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and the vegetables are becoming soft.

2. Add the garlic and ginger and saute for another 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant. Watch carefully and stir frequently so the garlic doe not brown.

3. Add the chicken stock, red bell pepper, mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli or cauliflower, and salt. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.

4. Add the chicken, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, honey and the red chili pepper flakes. Stir and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.

Weedy ,I need to can some soup soon. :Thankyou::thumbs up: recipes.
I used to make a big pot of different types of soup almost every weekend. I would keep some out and eat it. Much of it would go into individual serving size containers and into the freezer. I would pull one out on my way out the door to work and it would have thawed by lunch time. This worked great for me. After I did this for a while, I had a variety of soups to eat throughout the week. This was a thrifty and healthy way to eat lunch everyday. I bought containers and lids from a local restaurant supply that I used. I labeled the lid with the date and type of soup.

I found a different recipe for cauliflower soup. I want to try it soon.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cauliflower-soup/?trkid=soc-toh-facebook

Cauliflower Soup

Other cauliflower soup recipes I've tried have lacked in flavor, but this cheesy recipe packs a tasty punch! We like it with hot pepper sauce, as an extra touch. —Debbie Ohlhausen, Chilliwack, British Columbia

Cauliflower-Soup_exps19731_MRR133247B07_31_3bC_RMS-696x696.jpg

• clock.png

Total Time
      Prep/Total Time: 30 min.

• Makes 8 servings (about 2 quarts)
    Ingredients
    • 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
    • 1 medium carrot, shredded
    • 1/4 cup chopped celery
    • 2-1/2 cups water
    • 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    • 2 cups 2% milk
    • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional

Directions
    • In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
    • In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture.

Test Kitchen Tips
  • Feel free to use 2-1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth instead of water and bouillon.
  • Make this gluten-free by using cornstarch as a thickener. Omit the flour and butter, and make a slurry by whisking 2 tablespoons cornstarch into the milk before adding it to the saucepan.
    Nutrition Facts
    1 cup: 159 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.

This was adapted from a dish my grandmother used to make. I call it potluck chilli

Base
1 can kidney beans drained
1 can pinto beans drained
1 can green beans drained
1 can Lima beans drained
1 can pork and beans not drained
1 cup tomato sauce
1 lb. Of meat. Whatever you want to use. I use stewing meat or ground beef. Wanting to try some sage pork sausage.

I have added

Chopped garlic (no measurement on this) to your taste
1 can sweet corn drained
2 medium yams or sweet potatoes.
Chilli powder and cayenne powder to taste. I have been known to add some crushed red pepper also.

I cook all in a crock pot.

You are munching on this awesome chilli and then get a sweet shot when you bite into the corn.

Basically whatever I have on hand that I think will go good falls into the pot.

People walk away wanting more but nobody goes away hungry.

King Ranch Soup

(Contains tomatoes with chiles-- Ro-Tel tomatoes)

https://www.fivehearthome.com/king-ranch-chicken-soup/

King Ranch Chicken Soup is creamy and comforting with all the flavor of the classic casserole...and easy to make in the slow cooker, Instant Pot, or stovetop!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick / 8 tablespoons) butter
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 4 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 large)
  • 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
  • 1 medium jalapeño, minced (optional)
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar, Mexican blend, or Colby Jack cheese, plus additional for serving
  • Tortilla chips, for serving
  • Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute until it is fragrant and light golden brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the flour and whisk continuously for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Increase the heat to a simmer and whisk continuously for several minutes, until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Add black pepper to taste and set the sauce aside.

Place the chicken breasts in a large slow cooker. Top them with the diced tomatoes with green chiles and jalapeño and pour the sauce over the top. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through but not overcooked.

Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, stir the cheese into the slow cooker, and cover the slow cooker for the time being. Pull the chicken into large chunks and stir it back into the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are heated through. Stir well and serve hot, garnishing as desired.

King Ranch Chicken Soup Recipe (Stovetop)
For a stovetop version of this soup, you will make the sauce in a pot on the stovetop, just like in the slow cooker version. The main difference here is that you will need to use pre-cooked chicken rather than cooking the chicken in the soup (as is done in the pressure cooker and slow cooker versions.) You can either cook (bake, poach, or whatever’s your preference) three large chicken breasts OR use the meat from a whole, shredded rotisserie chicken.

Prepare the sauce as directed in the slow cooker recipe above. However, I recommend sautéing the jalapeño (if using) along with the garlic so that it has a chance to soften. Once the sauce is smooth and thick, stir in the seasonings and the diced tomatoes with green chiles. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the cheese and 3-4 cups of cooked shredded chicken (as from a rotisserie chicken). Cook for a few more minutes, stirring regularly, until the cheese is melted and the chicken is heated through.

Instant Pot
  1. Set Instant Pot to SAUTÉ function. Add the garlic and saute until it is fragrant and light golden brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the flour and whisk continuously for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth; whisk occasionally for several minutes, until the sauce starts bubbling and is smooth and thickened. Press CANCEL and stir in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Add black pepper to taste.
  2. Carefully place the chicken breasts into the sauce in the insert. Top them with the diced tomatoes with green chiles and jalapeño. Seal the lid according to the owner's manual and cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes.
  3. When the timer is done, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then carefully vent to release the remaining pressure (consult your owner's manual for more specific instructions). Open the lid, transfer the chicken to a cutting board, and gradually stir the shredded cheese into the soup. Pull the chicken into large chunks and stir it back into the pot. Once the cheese is completely melted and the chicken is heated through, stir well and serve immediately.
  4. To serve, crush tortilla chips in a bowl and ladle some soup over the top, garnishing with extra cheese and fresh cilantro, if desired.

My DW makes a meatless chilli,that really a vegetable soup.
Tomatoes, potatoes,carrots kale,at least three kinds of beans.
Sometime corn, capers & okra.
She use what on hand, so no true recipe.

Butter Bob's Famous Chili

http://www.buttermakesyourpantsfalloff.com/butter-bobs-famous-chili/

1. Brown 3 1/2 pounds of hamburger meat. (1 3/4 pounds for half recipe)

2. While the meat is browning, use a food processor to chop two green bell peppers and one yellow onion.

3. Measure the spices on a plate (so you can add easily when the hamburger is browned).
– 2 tsp of garlic powder (1 tsp)
– 1/8 cup of cumin
– 1/4 cup of chili powder
– 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper ( the more you use the hotter!!)
– 3 tsp salt

4. Open the two cans –
one 10.5 oz can of Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chilies.
one 10.75 oz can of Tomato Puree.

5. Drain the fat off the browned hamburger into a bowl. (Do not throw away).

Pour about half the drained fat back into the pot (over a cup of fat, I reused about half of that, a little over 1/2 cup this time), you could use all the fat, but it might make the chili too greasy.

6. Add the spices you prepared into the pot with the meat and mix.

7. Add chopped onions and peppers into the pot with the meat and mix.

8. Add a full box of beef broth or about 32 ounces.

9. Mix in 10.5 oz. can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilies and 10.75 oz. can of tomato puree.

10. Mix it all up and let it cook for 30-45 minutes on medium heat, stir often.

Serve it up with some shredded real whole fat cheese and/or sour cream. And hopefully Enjoy.

It is almost impossible to figure exact calorie or macro-nutrient numbers, but the following is my best calculated guess.

297 grams of fat for full pot of chili – this is if you drain and throw away a 1/2 cup of fat from browning the meat.
272 grams of protein for full pot.
83 grams of Total Carbs for full pot.
60 grams of Net Carbs for full pot.
I looked and looked recently for this recipe and could not find it. Hopefully I will be able to find the recipe the next time I want to make it. I looked on my recipe blog as well. No luck, but I found it today!

From Big Family Homestead, recipe listed in the description of this video

Broccoli Cheese soup
1 whole onion, chopped (or 1 cup Thrive Life Chopped Onions)
½ cup butter
⅓ cup flour
6 cups whole milk
4 heads of Broccoli (or 4 cups Thrive Life Broccoli)
4 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded (Or Thrive Life Cheese)
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste

I'll be making chicken vegetable soup in the morning, throwing it in the crockpot, and leaving it for supper tomorrow for everyone. I'll be home for a second at 630 to grab granddaughter for her Heritage Girls meeting and won't be home till late. So I'll eat something at work.
So...in the crockpot:
Cooked chicken in a quart ziplock from the freezer
Water
Vegetable bouillon powder
Chopped veg from whatever is in the fridge, and whatever is not fresh, I have dehydrated.
Voila. Dinner.

soup is good
I like it. Add some fresh biscuits or bread and it is good. I grew up with grandparents who lived on farms and ranches. They always used leftovers in soup. If Grandma made a beef roast on Sunday, maybe a 7 bone roast, the bone went into the pot along with some onions, carrots, celery and seasonings. Other veggies went in, later, after the bone had been cooking for a while. Grandma V. also added barley to her beef based soup. I do not.

Soup is good during cooler weather. You come in from outside and it warms you up. I like it in the crockpot on low. It is ready when you are. It is easy to freeze in serving sizes and take out what you need. For years I bought the deli containers for the freezer portions. I bought them by the sleeve at a local restaurant supply. Easy to use and store. They stacked in the freezer. If the container made it home safe and sound, I would reuse it. If not, not a big loss.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower Soup

Ingredients

• 16 oz cauliflower florets
  • 16 oz brussels sprouts, halved
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped shallots
  • 3 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • black pepper, to taste
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 450F.
  • Line a large baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper. Place the cauliflower and the brussels cut side down on the baking sheet, drizzle with oil and roast on the bottom third of the oven 25 minutes, tossing half way until slightly browned.
  • Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large sauce pan over low heat and add shallots. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the salt and broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Shut the oven off, reserve about 1 generous cup of the roasted vegetables and keep warm on the baking sheet.
  • Transfer the rest to the pot and simmer 2 minutes.
  • Transfer in two batches to the blender and blend until semi-smooth.
  • Serve in bowls topped with the roasted vegetables and fresh black pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
I will fully admit that I cook, chop, and add bacon on top as well.

I like it. Add some fresh biscuits or bread and it is good. I grew up with grandparents who lived on farms and ranches. They always used leftovers in soup. If Grandma made a beef roast on Sunday, maybe a 7 bone roast, the bone went into the pot along with some onions, carrots, celery and seasonings. Other veggies went in, later, after the bone had been cooking for a while. Grandma V. also added barley to her beef based soup. I do not.

Soup is good during cooler weather. You come in from outside and it warms you up. I like it in the crockpot on low. It is ready when you are. It is easy to freeze in serving sizes and take out what you need. For years I bought the deli containers for the freezer portions. I bought them by the sleeve at a local restaurant supply. Easy to use and store. They stacked in the freezer. If the container made it home safe and sound, I would reuse it. If not, not a big loss.
Weedy
We use to take leftovers,freeze them then put them in soups.

Quick and easy Chicken and Rice Soup
1 can(12.5 ounces) undrained chicken
5 stalks of celery, chopped (optional- leaves)
1 medium onion- chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon parsley
4 cups of water
1 tablespoon of butter(margarine)
1 cup of uncooked rice
1 can (about 15 ounces) ls carrots-drained
1 can(about 15 ounces) ls green beans- drained
In large pot, over high heat, combine chicken, celery, onion, pepper, parsley and water.
Stir and bring to boil.
Reduce heat to low and cook, covered for 35 minutes.
Cook rice according to package directions.
Add carrots, green beans, and cooked rice to large pot and heat for 5 minutes more over medium heat.
Serve hot.
One of my go to quick meals when quilting.

Quick and easy Chicken and Rice Soup
1 can(12.5 ounces) undrained chicken
5 stalks of celery, chopped (optional- leaves)
1 medium onion- chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon parsley
4 cups of water
1 tablespoon of butter(margarine)
1 cup of uncooked rice
1 can (about 15 ounces) ls carrots-drained
1 can(about 15 ounces) ls green beans- drained
In large pot, over high heat, combine chicken, celery, onion, pepper, parsley and water.
Stir and bring to boil.
Reduce heat to low and cook, covered for 35 minutes.
Cook rice according to package directions.
Add carrots, green beans, and cooked rice to large pot and heat for 5 minutes more over medium heat.
Serve hot.
One of my go to quick meals when quilting.
This is a recipe that could be made from food storage, or rather, the ingredients for this could be stored for this soup!

One of my favorite soups is pho. I don't eat it very often. I have wanted to make my own, and I have, but not with much luck. I don't think mine has enough flavor. One of the things that I have seen in other recipes is that it is often made in restaurants with msg. Marion's Kitchen is a channel that was introduced to me a couple months ago. I would love to make many of her recipes.

One of my favorite soups is pho. I don't eat it very often. I have wanted to make my own, and I have, but not with much luck. I don't think mine has enough flavor. One of the things that I have seen in other recipes is that it is often made in restaurants with msg. Marion's Kitchen is a channel that was introduced to me a couple months ago. I would love to make many of her recipes.

Weedygarden,
When I make Pho, I use Chinese 5 spice instead of MSG.
Also make with beef, chicken, vension, shrimp, pork.
What ever that leftover in refrig or freezer.

Latest posts

Back