Spending a few days off grid.

Discussion in 'Bug out locations/homes' started by JAC, Dec 13, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 13, 2018 #1

JAC

JAC

JAC

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor

So I'm off grid for a few days in the mountains. While I can access a cell tower I am running everything off a battery bank and have no acess to water other than rain harvest and what I brought in with me. I recharge battety bank off of a eu2000i each night
    I have solar panels but never set them up here for fear of them being stolen. I don't suffer here. I have a chest freezer converted to a fridge that draws 350 watts in a 24 hour period. Tv hooked to a laptop to watch movies but it will find 6 channels over the air. Hot shower provided by a tankless water heater by ecotemp. Cooking on a gas stove running off a propane bottle and a gas grill. Wood stove for heat. Its been raining all day
    I hurried in this morning to make it across 2 water crossings before it got too high to get in here. At this point due to weather I cant leave until saturday when the weather clears. This is my fall back location.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  2. Dec 13, 2018 #2

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

Just because I can't leave well enough alone. Mount the solar panels on a roof rack that you put on the car when you go to the cabin. Park the car in the sun facing South. If necessary, hinge the panels in the front and raise the rear to the proper angle for the season.

It sounds really nice. With any luck it will keep raining for another week. :)

Meerkat, JAC, Terri9630 and 4 others like this.
  3. Dec 15, 2018 #3

JAC

JAC

JAC

Thanks
    Thanks for the idea but my panels are not small. They are around 4 ft x2.5 feet and i have 4 of them. Also i dont want panels mounted on my car. The gen charging setup works well. The eu2000i is about the size of an overnight bag and runs very quiet. Im not here often enough to warrant all the panels here. They will be setup on a stand alone system at home where they are secure.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Meerkat, Bacpacker and Caribou like this.
  4. Dec 15, 2018 #4

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

I also have a eu2000i. You can carry on a conversation right next to it. While it can be heard at a distance that distance isn't all that far as compared to other generators. If I ever want to make a super quiet generator that is the one I'll start with.

Terri9630, Patchouli and Bacpacker like this.
  5. Jan 6, 2019 #5

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

Ours are big too Jac. 290 watts. Someday we may even put them to use. I wanted them on my van but hubby said 'no way'. he was right of course.

Caribou and Bacpacker like this.
  6. Jan 6, 2019 #6

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

We installed some 285 watt panels on some equipment at work last spring. Our boss had us run a wind load calculation on them before installing. I was amazed at how low the wind speed was to make them become sails If they came loose. we had to install steel cables to retain them if they broke loose from the mounts.

Meerkat and Caribou like this.
  7. Jan 6, 2019 #7

JAC

JAC

JAC

So, I've heard they have made a new EU2200I. Added 200 more watts Made some needed changes too.
    Made oil drain easy to get to. Also made fuel shutoff so the carb won't gum up. .

Bacpacker and Caribou like this.