Star the Tennessee Walker (most likely) , and her story.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dademoss

What I specialized in is oboslete
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There are mentions and pictures on other threads, but Lori (my DW) has "published" Star's story and such on Facebook. For those that don't facebook, I'll share stuff here. If you use facebook, I'll be happy to send you to Lori's page so you can follow.

LONG POST (long day!)
Welcome to the family Star! She's a Tennessee Walking Horse that we are guessing mid-teens in age. Little Patch of Heaven is the rescue organization that got her out of a HORRIBLE hoarding situation.
Some of the pictures are VERY hard to stomach, so if weak, just read and look at the happy horse pictures. I'll try to "blur" the really nasty stuff. Basically, she lived with 12 cows (one was dying) also 2 dead calves in the field. 9 donkeys, 4 had horrible elf feet (I have before/after of them). 3 full sized horses. They rescued the 4 critical donkeys and wanted to sell the rest of the animals (the rescue did do the purchase to save them) - the rescue also found someone to buy the cows. Their second trip they picked up the 3 horses and went back a third time for the rest of the donkeys. (The humans were also living in a hoarder's house, so the place was a mess.)
Pictures here are of Star 48 hours after her rescue, under saddle! Mind you, she had not been ridden, just left in that yuck for 5 years! She is so sweet, is remembering her gates, and slowly trusting humans. I'll be working with her to make her easy to catch, and able to touch her ears (so I can get halter/bridle on/off easily). There is also a video of her re-learning how to lunge today.
I'll try to put a description on the pictures I know. Here's to a happy, healthy future for this girl - she is really sweet!

1674357702118.png

1674357770066.png

1674357803661.png

1674357883725.png

Yeah, 2 weeks ago she was in mud with dead cows, now it's dry with food and water. She still needs to learn treats/cookies, and her ears are a bit sensitive, and none of the tack fits :p. She is a petite lady, not a big derpy guy :). Vet comes on Thursday, Farrier is on the calendar for the 31st.

Last edited:
Star after her vet check yesterday. A bit of thrush, some scratches from her previous living condition. but otherwise in fine shape. Farrier will be out next week.

View attachment 103215
Her coat looks so much better after some brushing!! I bet she loves having her own "room" with nice bedding instead of cold and mud!!♥️♥️♥️

Supposed to be warm enough tomorrow for some sponging and cleaning of the mud clumps, so we know where Lori will be :D
I'd bet that if you went out and rolled in the mud, you would just be the muddy guy, and Star would even more beautiful by the end of the day!!

Lori's facebook post about her visit with Star today:)

Today was special in so many ways. First, it was wonderful weather! That paired with seeing Star made it special.
I did some barn cleaning, washed a few buckets, and the girls (Ruby and Lily) decided to eat some hay and watch. SO - I decided I would go out in the pasture and see if I could catch Star and maybe get some of her much loved mud off.
Remember, she was feral for 5 years. In a lot with other animals, not really paid much attention, so she's not liking the "catching" part of her life -- yet. Seems carrots smooth some of that - so I always carry some.
Managed to catch her (also special) and had my brush and carrots, brushed a lot of mud off and told her what a good girl she was, gave her a carrot for letting me catch her and one after I brushed her and then let her go.
Finished my chores, and went out to the field ONE more time before leaving -- carrots in hand. Managed to catch her in her favorite corner (where she can see her sisters - we'll introduce them Saturday) and she ate a carrot. While I had her attention, I managed to gift a second carrot. Then I decided to offer the "carrot smelling hands" to her - she got close enough to sniff my hands. THIS IS BIG - gaining her trust slowly, letting her know she's not going into the barn every time we catch her, and that humans can be nice people.
Cannot wait for Saturday morning (quarantine over, and introducing her to the herd). I hope to have pictures of them happily together, finally!

Lori's facebook post about her visit with Star today:)

Today was special in so many ways. First, it was wonderful weather! That paired with seeing Star made it special.
I did some barn cleaning, washed a few buckets, and the girls (Ruby and Lily) decided to eat some hay and watch. SO - I decided I would go out in the pasture and see if I could catch Star and maybe get some of her much loved mud off.
Remember, she was feral for 5 years. In a lot with other animals, not really paid much attention, so she's not liking the "catching" part of her life -- yet. Seems carrots smooth some of that - so I always carry some.
Managed to catch her (also special) and had my brush and carrots, brushed a lot of mud off and told her what a good girl she was, gave her a carrot for letting me catch her and one after I brushed her and then let her go.
Finished my chores, and went out to the field ONE more time before leaving -- carrots in hand. Managed to catch her in her favorite corner (where she can see her sisters - we'll introduce them Saturday) and she ate a carrot. While I had her attention, I managed to gift a second carrot. Then I decided to offer the "carrot smelling hands" to her - she got close enough to sniff my hands. THIS IS BIG - gaining her trust slowly, letting her know she's not going into the barn every time we catch her, and that humans can be nice people.
Cannot wait for Saturday morning (quarantine over, and introducing her to the herd). I hope to have pictures of them happily together, finally!

Thanks for posting that♥️

From Lori on facebook:

Just goes to show - this girl is STELLAR (yep, Star/stellar) - rainbows in her fur when the sun shines on her. Yeah - I know, I need to brush out some of that mud, but today I was working on getting her to at least come to me (carrots involved - work wonderfully) -and let me touch her instead of running away.
She LOVES her new herd, and is very happy there
❣️

May be an image of horse

Aww, look at the horsies! Star must be very happy with her new home, lots of room to run around! Good on ya, Dademoss, for taking care of those horsies! They look very healthy & happy! :cool:

Aww, look at the horsies! Star must be very happy with her new home, lots of room to run around! Good on ya, Dademoss, for taking care of those horsies! They look very healthy & happy! :cool:
Just one. The other two, Lily and Ruby, belong to the couple that own the farm she is boarded at.

Latest posts

Back