Starting A Master Bath Remodel

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teeceetx

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We've been in the planning stages of a total master bath gut - down to the studs.

All fixtures have been purchased, as well as tile.

Demolition will likely begin in April, and I suspect it will take 4-6 weeks to finish.

It's a rather decent sized room, roughly 14'x14', so it is going to be very expensive.

I'll post before and after pics soon.

My problem with remodeling is mission creep.
I'll start one room and before you know it the job has spread to the whole house.
Thankfully, the entire first floor was remodeled a few months after we bought the house. Only the master bath remained untouched.

But we have a whole second story with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, that has not been done.

I'll be posting from debtors prison soon!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how careless and unprepared contractors are.

Take today for instance. Ten days ago, they reframed the toilet/shower common wall. They did a piss poor job of measuring. Part of the wall is 1/2" - 3/4" off from the rest of the wall!!!! and they are here today to sheetrock the ceiling, which they cannot do until they fix the crooked wall!!!!! This is like the ???th time we pointed out serious flaws in their workmanship which affects the next step of construction. All these flaws would have been covered up, never to have been seen for years.

Every contractor we have hired over the past decade demonstrates the same lousy attributes. Rather than doing it right the first time, they wait until the customer finds the problem - and few do because they allow them to work unsupervised. There are just no personal professional standards.

I just don't understand WHY?

Is the money so good and the customer supervision so bad, they just don't care because they rarely get caught? Do they not fear getting a bad reputation? Apparently not!!!!

They simply have no sense of pride or self-worth. In other words, they are simply crooks.

I was taught to strive for perfection 100% of the time, especially when no one was looking or would see.

If they can save parts, and save an hour as well, that adds to their profits. Most would never know until years later. I remodeled my bathroom which had been done previously by a well known company. I took pictures of their shoddy work, and one of these days, I will confront them on these shortcuts. We are talking live wire Romex just cut, taped and buried inside walls, leaking pipes which were allowed to drain into the earth under my shower, No lip Jacuzzi tub/showers allowing water to eat a complete wall away, wrong gas lines used, drains not utilized and allowed to run off into yard, not supporting copper pipe, no GFI's added next to sinks, Underground 220V in thin wall conduit, etc.
20150618_102507_resized.jpg
20150716_150204_resized.jpg
20160507_192941_001.jpg
20190201_135017.jpg
20190710_155525.jpg
20190711_074740.jpg
20220719_145810.jpg
20210201_160733.jpg
20210211_135354.jpg
20220719_161811.jpg

Just a general comment of any work I have done. When I was young & broke I had to go with whoever I thought was cheapest. Then I got a little more money & could pick & choose, but who? Moving around all companies are equal because you don't know any of them. Now I've lived here for 18 years & I talk to people. Who do you use & would you recommend them, that kind of talk. I found my roofer & car mechanic that way. I will NEVER use anyone but them because they are reasonable, live here in the area & I have FAITH in them. Oh & I don't want to leave out the general contractor that I also found, he was great too (for smaller jobs).

Oddly I'm thinking about covering a small area where we sit outside, which has to have a very slanted roof. I've got my roofer coming tomorrow to see if he will do that kind of work. I don't want it connected to the house because then I have to have permits. If he does. I'm sure he will do a great job for not a lot of money. Then maybe we will talk about him doing more or less the same thing in my back yard.

So to shorten this, find the right person/company & if they do a good/great job, never use anyone else. The same thing applies to almost everything btw.

I posted the above & remembered this: When our roof got damaged by hail I of course called my roofer. He said that it would be about 2 weeks because he was booked....Not with the other hundreds of roofs damaged in the storm, that was his normal backlog. Ok, fine but then we had projected storms coming through about 2.5 weeks later & I called him worrying about leaks. He came by & covered it with a tarp. While talking he explained that there were shingles available here in town BUT so he "could" be working on it now BUT they were from a company he didn't know. He said, I live here & I won't use shingles that I don't trust. Some people will but I want to know that I'm putting a good product down that will last. That's the kind of guy you want for everything you have done.

Latest posts

Back