Store Water Just In Case

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I figure it is mostly scare tactics ' again ' but just in case we decide to blow up another nation it may be wise to listen and watch.
I hear there may be plans to poison our waters if we go into war with Iran and since we hire anyone available to guard these facilities they could be compromised.

I have close to fifty gallons in 5 and 3,5 gallon containers. I also have a well and a generator to run my pump, a couple hundred gallons of fuel for the generator and by the end of summer I hope to have my solar system usable.

We have 15000 gallons or 68 100 lts stored in rainwater tanks (could be slightly less due to the drought and us using some), have a creek we own half of down the back yard we can get water from and bottled and rainwater stored in 5 x 10 lt containers with a pourer on them. We picked up the water containers by buying them in Aldi with water in them as they are cheaper than buying the water bricks separately and will add a few more to the collection over time. Planning also to put in a bore with filtration for water as well.

Last edited:
I have close to fifty gallons in 5 and 3,5 gallon containers. I also have a well and a generator to run my pump, a couple hundred gallons of fuel for the generator and by the end of summer I hope to have my solar system usable.

Car, I would think up there you'd be as safe . That would take a lot of poison for all that water.

Years ago it was rumored that water towers and spring were possible targets.

Car, I would think up there you'd be as safe . That would take a lot of poison for all that water.

Years ago it was rumored that water towers and spring were possible targets.
I'm not too worried about poison but there are plenty of reasons to store water. My next door neighbour had problem with her well after the earthquake as did many others. I'm downwind from a nuclear target and that is about the only poison to worry about around here and the well would help greatly for that. Power outages are a common occurrence.

Last edited:
I pick up 5 gallon water containers at WM when I have a relatively empty cart. I have slowly added to my water supplies through the years, 5 gallons at a time. I don't even know exactly how many I have now. I rinse the containers with bleech and leave a bit in there while I fill them full and then put the date on the outside and store away. I am fortunate that I have a cool, dark place to easily store them so they don't freeze. We also have lots of lakes and rivers nearby and use well water with a manual pump backup if necessary. I don't think terrorists are aiming for folks like me b/c we are difficult targets......I think they would go for the easy target, like those in the city who use the municipal water systems. As evidenced by the Flint water crisis, those folks are not well equiped to deal with contaminated water.

MIL, on the other hand......didn't even have a case of water on hand the last time she lost power. We had to give her some of ours so that she could make coffee. Of coarse, hubs had to take a generator over to her so she could make the coffee.:rolleyes: It's funny how she always talks about getting a generator when she doesn't have power, but when it is restored that thought is long gone..... It just amazes me how some people don't even have a single case of water in their homes.:confused:

I pick up 5 gallon water containers at WM when I have a relatively empty cart. I have slowly added to my water supplies through the years, 5 gallons at a time. I don't even know exactly how many I have now. I rinse the containers with bleech and leave a bit in there while I fill them full and then put the date on the outside and store away. I am fortunate that I have a cool, dark place to easily store them so they don't freeze. We also have lots of lakes and rivers nearby and use well water with a manual pump backup if necessary. I don't think terrorists are aiming for folks like me b/c we are difficult targets......I think they would go for the easy target, like those in the city who use the municipal water systems. As evidenced by the Flint water crisis, those folks are not well equiped to deal with contaminated water.

MIL, on the other hand......didn't even have a case of water on hand the last time she lost power. We had to give her some of ours so that she could make coffee. Of coarse, hubs had to take a generator over to her so she could make the coffee.:rolleyes: It's funny how she always talks about getting a generator when she doesn't have power, but when it is restored that thought is long gone..... It just amazes me how some people don't even have a single case of water in their homes.:confused:

It is always so interesting to me how people have much ability to store things, but zero interest. There are many containers that pass through people's kitchens that could be used for water storage. Any empty canning jar could be filled with water after it is cleaned. Anything purchased in a bottle or jar could later have that container filled with water. It isn't all pretty, but until you get to a place where you can have something more attractive, it is better than nothing.

5 gallon jugs can be had for free, if you want them and watch for them. Some people don't want to be bothered. Having a dispenser for your 5 gallon jugs will be a back saver as well. They can be had for free as well, if you watch for them. I found a nice ceramic one in a pile by the side of the road. I always look at those piles! The ceramic dispensers are around $50.

It is always so interesting to me how people have much ability to store things, but zero interest. There are many containers that pass through people's kitchens that could be used for water storage. Any empty canning jar could be filled with water after it is cleaned. Anything purchased in a bottle or jar could later have that container filled with water. It isn't all pretty, but until you get to a place where you can have something more attractive, it is better than nothing.

5 gallon jugs can be had for free, if you want them and watch for them. Some people don't want to be bothered. Having a dispenser for your 5 gallon jugs will be a back saver as well. They can be had for free as well, if you watch for them. I found a nice ceramic one in a pile by the side of the road. I always look at those piles! The ceramic dispensers are around $50.

Sometimes trash is treasure. especially when rich people remodel or redecorate.

As I said I've got about 50 gallons set aside. I have two 5 gallon dispenser type bottles. One of these cost me $5 with a lid the other was free but I had to pay just under $10 for six lids off Amazon. The rest is in 3.5 gallon buckets that were free from a local Carr's bakery. The first 5 gallon jug was early on and the second rolled out in front of me, on a windy day, and asked for a good home. Otherwise all I have invested is some soap and hot water. My biggest problem is storage space.

That is :great: Terri. We don't have a single tank,but that is in the plan list.
We bought them after our well pump died leaving us with 4 horses, 6 goats a dozen rabbits, 3 dogs, a dozen chickens and 4 of us with no water.

Well almost none. The horses had a 200 gallon water trough and the goats had 20 gallons.

Last edited:
I've got 2 55 gallon drum stored in the basement. Plus multiple cases of bottle. The bottles get cycled thru pretty regular. The drums need to be cycled this year. Gonna use them this summer to water the garden plants, then clean them good with a heavy bleach wash. Top them back off. I want to get a stand and start using the 5 gallon containers just to get away from the utility water and the flouride and clorine used in their pipes.
Another thing I count on long term, I have multiple water purification methods. We use a big Berky in the house, a Sawyer filter in each GHB, and 3-4 other types of backpacking types. Most all of them are rated at 0.2 microns. Next door neighbor and his dad next to him both have 1 ac or so ponds (spring feed and run off). Already have agreements with them to harvest water if it comes down to it. And I will gladly help provide security for them if it ever came to that. We also have a lake about 1.5 miles from the house.

Plus multiple cases of bottle. The bottles get cycled thru pretty regular.
I have gone through many cases of bottled water over the years, but am really working on carrying and using reusable water bottles. I actually have a few metal drinking bottles, all free or gifts. I do try to keep a few in the car. I tried to save and wash the plastic bottles and refill them. The life of a plastic drinking bottle is not long term. In my ongoing purge and clean out, I emptied and disposed of many plastic bottles. I filled up the recycling bin with them.

I have one case of bottled water, but it is a few years old, and don't know that I will drink it, but I am not sure. I think having some bottled water is good for a SHTF situation, but I am not rotating one case, so I probably wouldn't rotate more.

I have never been about reusing milk jugs, but the water has not been turned on at dog parks yet, has been off since last fall, so I need to take water when I take dogs. Many days, I am the only person taking water for a couple dozen dogs. People do take milk jugs that are cleaned out, but they leave them. After I had forgotten water one day, I decided I would grab all the jugs that were rolling around there that day, so I now have 7 gallon jugs of water in the car. I know they will eventually spring a leak, but in the mean time, I will use them.

Last edited:
we have a few cases of bottled water and lots of 2 liter soda bottles[ hubby won;t drink tea]. we omly buy them on sale for 1.00 or less. plus we have purification tablets. and we have a creek about 1/2 mile from us.

I have gone through many cases of bottled water over the years, but am really working on carrying and using reusable water bottles. I actually have a few metal drinking bottles, all free or gifts. I do try to keep a few in the car. I tried to save and wash the plastic bottles and refill them. The life of a plastic drinking bottle is not long term. In my ongoing purge and clean out, I emptied and disposed of many plastic bottles. I filled up the recycling bin with them.

I have one case of bottled water, but it is a few years old, and don't know that I will drink it, but I am not sure. I think having some bottled water is good for a SHTF situation, but I am not rotating one case, so I probably wouldn't rotate more.

I have never been about reusing milk jugs, but the water has not been turned on at dog parks yet, has been off since last fall, so I need to take water when I take dogs. Many days, I am the only person taking water for a couple dozen dogs. People do take milk jugs that are cleaned out, but they leave them. After I had forgotten water one day, I decided I would grab all the jugs that were rolling around there that day, so I now have 7 gallon jugs of water in the car. I know they will eventually spring a leak, but in the mean time, I will use them.

Weedy we stopped using bottled water years ago.
We use stainless steel bottles and NEVER leave home without them. On trips we take our 10 gal. water jug with a spout.
Bought my friend and her hubby a couple stainless bottles for her B-Day but she still uses plastic. Also bought her a counter top water purifier and she doesn't use that either. :dunno:

0423191019.jpg
i have 5 cases of bottled water.32 in the smaller ones.40 in the larger ones.and 2 large totes of bottled water all for everyday drinking.and i don't know how many 1 gallon store bought jugs of water in a cabnet in the kitchen for coffee and cooking.need to buy more thoe.

View attachment 10894
i have 5 cases of bottled water.32 in the smaller ones.40 in the larger ones.and 2 large totes of bottled water all for everyday drinking.and i don't know how many 1 gallon store bought jugs of water in a cabnet in the kitchen for coffee and cooking.need to buy more thoe.

Hopefully some day you can find some good deals on big bottles for storage. Thats what I'm waiting for is those bottles you see in offices if they have long expiration dates.

Weedy we stopped using bottled water years ago.
We use stainless steel bottles and NEVER leave home without them. On trips we take our 10 gal. water jug with a spout.
Bought my friend and her hubby a couple stainless bottles for her B-Day but she still uses plastic. Also bought her a counter top water purifier and she doesn't use that either. :dunno:
There are a couple things about plastic that I am not going to go into now, but my daughter took a class in college, and immediately began to rid herself of plastic with food. She has glass containers for food storage and reuses jars as well. She uses metal water bottles. I have not been as good about plastic as she has.

The plastic reused bottles that I got rid of were years old, and I needed to go through and pitch them. The case of water bottles that I have is also years old and should be pitched as well. In addition to the metal water bottles, I drink from canning jars at home. Since Colorado is arid, I always keep water by my bed and drink some every night.

This is my set-up. It helps to keep the water clean and from spilling easily. I could technically keep cases of water in these canning jars, but the jars get used for many aspects of food storage. I prefer this size and type of jar. Glass is really better for us than plastic, but is heavier and breakable. I was gifted metal straws which I use with the set up.
canning jar drinking lid.JPG
canning jar.JPG

i just got back from the local grocery store."walking distance ".14.99 +tax if any.but that's with a empty included.but yet.they do have water dispenser out front..40 cents a gallon.or 2.00 for 5 gallons.thats better then .68+ for a in the store gallon.now to wait untill i go do my primary shopping on the 6th of next month to check out their price's. .

Ours too if you consider spring water filtered, but the bottling companys draining millions of gallons a day, urban sprawl and uncontrolled agriculture are using it up and poisoning it .
Not just here either all over the nation.

I do not consider commercial bottled water as filtered. Municipal water has more controls, restrictions, requirements, and safety precautions in place then bottled water.

Latest posts

Back