Storing Small Items

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My biggest problem is storing small items that I only need to store a couple of. If I can convince myself that I need a row of something then I fill up a row on the shelf. If I put something behind the single item or put that item behind something else it gets lost for a period of time. I also want to keep similar items together, medical with medical, auto with auto, etc.

What answers have you come up with?

My biggest problem is storing small items that I only need to store a couple of. If I can convince myself that I need a row of something then I fill up a row on the shelf. If I put something behind the single item or put that item behind something else it gets lost for a period of time. I also want to keep similar items together, medical with medical, auto with auto, etc.

I tend to buy plastic containers with snap on lids that are the 'perfect' size for the shelf in question and then get out the label maker. Some of those containers are quite the collection of unrelated stuff, but all represented on the label.

It depends upon the size and what it is. I try to keep like items together as well. One example, you have probably seen me tell about. I came into a bunch of Altoid mint tins. They work for many things, for me. My earbuds, flash drives, and passwords on sticky notes are all in one Altoid tin. I also label the edge so that I can tell at a glance what it is. I keep postage stamps in another. I have a number of small kits made up like this--sewing, fishing, fire starter. I also use them for paper clips, rubber bands, lighters. As added insurance that they won't pop open, I keep an elastic hair tie around them. I like to stack them up and can see the edge that is labeled so I know what is in each.

There are a variety tins that come in various sizes.

Last edited:
I tend to buy plastic containers with snap on lids that are the 'perfect' size for the shelf in question and then get out the label maker. Some of those containers are quite the collection of unrelated stuff, but all represented on the label.
Thank you. I have gone to places that have fishing gear and buy smaller plastic boxes for holding a variety of things. I use one for sorting change. It is the perfect size. When I was teaching, I used many of them for a variety of manipulative items.

The one showing is not exactly like the ones I have, but it is similar.
tackle box.jpg

Hey Weedy - I saw a very similar container on sale at Menards a week ago for 69 cents. I bought a few of them. DH is going to use them for his lures.

I have one of those plastic bolt cabinets with the clear plastic drawers. I think the unit is only about a foot wide and a foot and a half tall or so with about 20 drawers. I use it in my office to store erasers, thumb tacks, rubber bands, paper clips, file clips, file tabs, lead for pencils, business cards, white out, stamp ink, etc. I labeled all the drawers in alphabetical order of what's inside each drawer. It has saved me so much time and has been so handy over the years!

I bought DH a bigger unit similar to the one in my office for his shop. He's got a ton of small bolts, screws, nails, etc. of various sizes that he doesn't really have a place for. He hasn't gotten his all organized yet, but I think he will like his as much as I like mine once he gets it all set up.

Sometimes if it is left mostly stationary canning jars are good for small screws nuts,bolts,rod hangers, shower curtain rings,etc,etc,etc.. But nothing you'd want to travel with of course. I like them because i can see clearly through one all the way around including the bottom. I don't have to dump them or stir around for nothing.

Sometimes if it is left mostly stationary canning jars are good for small screws nuts,bolts,rod hangers, shower curtain rings,etc,etc,etc.. But nothing you'd want to travel with of course. I like them because i can see clearly through one all the way around including the bottom. I don't have to dump them or stir around for nothing.
I use oddball jars sometimes for holding things that don't really have another place that works well for them.

Hey Weedy - I saw a very similar container on sale at Menards a week ago for 69 cents. I bought a few of them. DH is going to use them for his lures.

I have one of those plastic bolt cabinets with the clear plastic drawers. I think the unit is only about a foot wide and a foot and a half tall or so with about 20 drawers. I use it in my office to store erasers, thumb tacks, rubber bands, paper clips, file clips, file tabs, lead for pencils, business cards, white out, stamp ink, etc. I labeled all the drawers in alphabetical order of what's inside each drawer. It has saved me so much time and has been so handy over the years!

I bought DH a bigger unit similar to the one in my office for his shop. He's got a ton of small bolts, screws, nails, etc. of various sizes that he doesn't really have a place for. He hasn't gotten his all organized yet, but I think he will like his as much as I like mine once he gets it all set up.

I have a few of these in various sizes as well. When I was teaching, I had one for odd stuff including paper clips, super glue, twist ties, staples, etc. I have one for misc. hardware. I have one for sewing.
They really are great for small parts.

I have a small tool room in the house. I believe I have 17 containers for small items here. 3 of these are new and don’t have anything in them yet. I’ve used them for years and every time I catch them on sale somewhere I always buy a couple.

I really like the upright ones with drawers for small bolts, screws and nuts. I like the flat ones with lids for electrical stuff and tiny tools. Some are so old the plastic has become brittle and started to break. I need to replace them. I no longer service catscans so some of this stuff can be thrown away. Dad was a tool & die maker and when he retired he brought all his tools here and cases with tiny items.

The tool room is an organized nightmare. :confused: Under my plastic contains on the work bench are bits and pieces of a weedeater I’ve been working on.

Up in shop I have more of the same type containers with 10ft work bench. Dad and I both like to tinker. The shop is set up to repair farming equipment or a vehicle. The tool room is set up for small stuff like a chainsaw or weedeater.

Dad used to keep small stuff in coffee cans. I keep nails in them. Sharpie makes a marker that is silver. I can write on anything and still read it. It comes in very handy.

Bin 1_v1.jpg
Bin 5_v1.jpg

good idea but i'm not letting hubby have my mason jars. i'd rather put food in them . so would he/
My Dad had jars of all sizes with the lids nailed to the bottom of a shelf.
He would put whatever in the jar and then just screw it onto the lid.
It was simple and worked well.
He had sizes from baby food jars to quart mason jars.
lol..

I use oddball jars sometimes for holding things that don't really have another place that works well for them.

I have a few of these in various sizes as well. When I was teaching, I had one for odd stuff including paper clips, super glue, twist ties, staples, etc. I have one for misc. hardware. I have one for sewing.
They really are great for small parts.

Yep we use ours for all kinds of small things.
Canning jars come in handy for lots of things, we drink out of ours too. I don't remember last time we used a real glass.

good idea but i'm not letting hubby have my mason jars. i'd rather put food in them . so would he/

lol..
I agree. I like to use odd jars that are not good for canning, such as jars from olives, mayonaise, etc. I do use mason jars for food. I have some dry goods such as beans, spices, etc. in mason and Ball jars.

Caribou, I wonder if you found an idea that would work for you? I have wondered exactly what items you are looking for storage for?

Caribou, I wonder if you found an idea that would work for you? I have wondered exactly the items you are looking for storage for?

I'm already collecting small jars for screws, washers, and other hardware. We did that when I was a kid and it worked well. The trick to attaching the jar lids is to use two screws. One screw will hold the weight but will drive you nuts when you try to unscrew the jar as the lid spins on the single screw.

My current need is something for medical supplies. I think I'll pick up a plastic box with adjustable bins. I have that for my plumbing and heating parts and it works well. I had never considered it for medical until now. Thanks to all.

I'm already collecting small jars for screws, washers, and other hardware. We did that when I was a kid and it worked well. The trick to attaching the jar lids is to use two screws. One screw will hold the weight but will drive you nuts when you try to unscrew the jar as the lid spins on the single screw.

My current need is something for medical supplies. I think I'll pick up a plastic box with adjustable bins. I have that for my plumbing and heating parts and it works well. I had never considered it for medical until now. Thanks to all.
I remember that many people used to attach the jar lid under a shelf. I would never have thought of using two screws but that makes great sense.

Medical supplies: Good idea to use the divided plastic box for medical supplies. I have a tackle box for some of my medical supplies and a small red duffel bag for more. When my daughter was young, playing soccer , I could open my trunk and offer first aid to anyone who scraped up their knee or elbow. The boxes with bandaids and other things in cardboard boxes often collapse. I think keeping them in one of those small divided boxes is a great idea for keeping some of those things. A box that collapses loses it's effectiveness in protecting the bandages and other medical supplies. I think it is a good time for me to go through my medical supplies, re-organize, inventory and protect some of the supplies.

Each prescription gets its own row but things like the cold sore cream are small and you only need one or two. The packaging is large to deter theft. You can't put it in front because you can't see what is behind and if you put it behind something it gets lost. I have a few items like that. My medical cabinet is in pretty good shape. Some of the newer prescriptions are low but anything that I have been on for a while is fairly well stocked ahead. The OTC stuff that I use, but only infrequently, is hard to find a place for.

Each prescription gets its own row but things like the cold sore cream are small and you only need one or two. The packaging is large to deter theft. You can't put it in front because you can't see what is behind and if you put it behind something it gets lost. I have a few items like that. My medical cabinet is in pretty good shape. Some of the newer prescriptions are low but anything that I have been on for a while is fairly well stocked ahead. The OTC stuff that I use, but only infrequently, is hard to find a place for.
When it comes to prescription medications, I had an eye opener about 8 years ago. A cousin flew in, we drove to S.D. She tells me she has pain meds with other people's names on them. I didn't even think about it. You know she was addicted to opioids. I can be naive. It was after the trip that I really thought about what could have happened. We went to visit a few of my older aunts and uncles. I wonder how many of them had their medicine cabinets raided? One of them that I later talked to about it told me they do not keep their meds in the bathroom or bedroom. They have a cabinet in their kitchen where they keep their current meds and the rest are stashed elsewhere. Cousin claims to be clean and sober. NOT!

After a root canal and the medication I was prescribed, but only used 2 of, I have put those leftover meds somewhere else, not in the "medicine" cabinet and not in my night stand.

Anything that might be abused, like pain meds, are kept in the safe except for a small quantity for daily use. My SIL stole meds from my MIL so I became aware of the possibility through my own famn damily. I really don't like pain meds so I wind up with a few left over. I find that I can ignore most pain i can get some relief with OTC supplements.

My elderly friend had an adult grandchild stay with her during the summer. In return for the stay the gchild helped with housekeeping. After the gchild moved out, my friend noticed her deceased husband's prescription bottles were missing. So she asked her gchild about it, and found that they were thrown away. It seems, that my friend was holding onto the prescription bottles to remind her of the dates that her husband was ill. Her husband died from brain cancer. It had been a long and stressful journey for them both and she was keeping the bottles as a memory. Since my elderly friend is in her late 80's and is in failing health, including her memory, I can understand why those bottles were so important to her.

Last spring I jumped into flea markets early to find some deals. At one market I found a used tall jewelry armoire cheap that I now have in my bathroom with my first aid supplies. If anyone was to look for jewelry in it, they'll find band-aids, ointment, and gauze, etc. instead, lol. One trip to another market, I bought cookie tins and cigar boxes that I now use for screws, nails, and any hardware that is small and needs a place to call home. At one point when I was buying nails by the bag at the hardware store, I'd always have extras, so I'd put those extras in a container and glue one of the nails on the outside to remind me of what was in the that particular container.

After my BIL died last year of cancer his wife told me she had a lot of pain meds left over..
He had just filled a Rx for oxy and he found out he couldn't tolerate it.
The Dr. gave him a Rx for morphine pills and patches.
I don't know what else he had but it was a lot of high powered pain meds.
I told her to return all of it to the pharmacy she got it from and have them dispose of it.
A couple of the relatives said they would get rid of it for her.
They would have either sold it or used it themselves and she knew it.
I made a point of telling everyone that she had gotten rid of the stuff.
I would not have been surprised to hear someone broke into her house and stole it.
If she had been home when they did there is no telling what would have happened.
There are some untrustworthy people.
She returned a huge bag to the pharmacy and they disposed of it.
After my MIL died all of her meds disappeared.
Know one knew anything about it of course.

I heard a story about a relative of mine who died more than a decade ago. He had cancer and had pain medications. His son and son's wife came to visit and another son and wife locked up the pain meds and dispensed them. The visiting son and wife had had a problem with pain medications and it was known. Imagine having an addicted grown son who would steal his father's pain meds as dad was dying of bone cancer.

My elderly friend had an adult grandchild stay with her during the summer. In return for the stay the gchild helped with housekeeping. After the gchild moved out, my friend noticed her deceased husband's prescription bottles were missing. So she asked her gchild about it, and found that they were thrown away. It seems, that my friend was holding onto the prescription bottles to remind her of the dates that her husband was ill. Her husband died from brain cancer. It had been a long and stressful journey for them both and she was keeping the bottles as a memory. Since my elderly friend is in her late 80's and is in failing health, including her memory, I can understand why those bottles were so important to her.
My bet is that they weren't thrown away, but used or sold.

Last spring I jumped into flea markets early to find some deals. At one market I found a used tall jewelry armoire cheap that I now have in my bathroom with my first aid supplies. If anyone was to look for jewelry in it, they'll find band-aids, ointment, and gauze, etc. instead, lol. One trip to another market, I bought cookie tins and cigar boxes that I now use for screws, nails, and any hardware that is small and needs a place to call home. At one point when I was buying nails by the bag at the hardware store, I'd always have extras, so I'd put those extras in a container and glue one of the nails on the outside to remind me of what was in the that particular container.
The idea of using a piece of furniture is great and more attractive than other options.

I wish i was creative. It's fun to find an item that could be used differently.

I've labeled just about every "storage" container in my home, lol. Now, if I can ever find my eye glasses...
You might be wearing them on top of your head or hanging off the front of your shirt. lol

Latest posts

Back