Sugar in corn bread? YUK! who eats this stuff?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the favorite cornbreads that I have had was hot water cornbread. Has anyone else had it? Does anyone have a recipe for it that they have tried?

Oh my I have a recipe that takes 2 sticks of butter and 1 can creamed corn. Then all the other obvious ingredients. It only makes maybe 1” thick in a pan 4x8, i can actually eat the whole darn pan. 🐷 i dont make it often because of that

One of the favorite cornbreads that I have had was hot water cornbread. Has anyone else had it? Does anyone have a recipe for it that they have tried?
No responses to this question about hot water cornbread. I have never made it, only eaten it when made by others.
https://grandbaby-cakes.com/hot-water-cornbread/
The BEST Southern Hot Water Cornbread Recipe

Crisp, perfectly crunchy, easy to make and absolutely irresistible, this Hot Water Cornbread, very different from these delicious corn muffins or Mexican cornbread in texture, is the best and easiest way to have cornbread on your dining room table in mere minutes.

CourseBread
Cuisinesoul food, south, Southern
Keywordbread, bread recipe, cornbread

Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time10 minutes
Total Time15 minutes

Servings8 servings
Calories157kcal
AuthorJocelyn Delk Adams of Grandbaby Cakes
Equipment
  • Skillet
Ingredients
  • 2 cups yellow cornmeal
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp salt can go up more if you want more for taste
  • 1 2/3-2 cups boiling water
  • vegetable oil for frying
Instructions
  • Add cornmeal, sugar and boiling water to a medium sized bowl and whisk until combined.
  • Add oil to 10 inch cast iron skillet and heat over medium high heat until temperature reaches 375.
  • Drop 2 tablespoons of batter into oil and fry on both sides until golden brown then drain.
Notes
Note: You can really adapt this recipe to fit your needs and preferences for consistency. I give some leeway for the amount of water you add because it comes down to your preference.
Nutrition
Calories: 157kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 295mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 1mg

No responses to this question about hot water cornbread. I have never made it, only eaten it when made by others.
https://grandbaby-cakes.com/hot-water-cornbread/
The BEST Southern Hot Water Cornbread Recipe

Crisp, perfectly crunchy, easy to make and absolutely irresistible, this Hot Water Cornbread, very different from these delicious corn muffins or Mexican cornbread in texture, is the best and easiest way to have cornbread on your dining room table in mere minutes.

CourseBread
Cuisinesoul food, south, Southern
Keywordbread, bread recipe, cornbread

Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time10 minutes
Total Time15 minutes

Servings8 servings
Calories157kcal
AuthorJocelyn Delk Adams of Grandbaby Cakes
Equipment
  • Skillet
Ingredients
  • 2 cups yellow cornmeal
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp salt can go up more if you want more for taste
  • 1 2/3-2 cups boiling water
  • vegetable oil for frying
Instructions
  • Add cornmeal, sugar and boiling water to a medium sized bowl and whisk until combined.
  • Add oil to 10 inch cast iron skillet and heat over medium high heat until temperature reaches 375.
  • Drop 2 tablespoons of batter into oil and fry on both sides until golden brown then drain.
Notes
Note: You can really adapt this recipe to fit your needs and preferences for consistency. I give some leeway for the amount of water you add because it comes down to your preference.
Nutrition
Calories: 157kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 295mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 1mg
Wet your hands when forming the patties.

Yes, it is called a hoe cake
A hoecake is cornbread made minimalist—a thin, unleavened round made from the simplest batter (cornmeal, water, and salt), crisp at the edges, glistening on both sides from the fat it was fried in, golden in patches. Inside, it’s dense but creamy,

Yield: Two 6-inch cakes (2 to 3 servings)
Time: About 1 hour, partially unattended

1 cup fine-ground white or yellow cornmeal
Scant ¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons peanut oil

authentic recipe would be yellow corn meal and lard not peanut oil

1. Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Put the cornmeal and salt in a large bowl, and whisk in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the boiling water. Let rest about 10 minutes.

2. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil. The mixture should be just pourable, but thick enough that you’ll need to use a spoon or spatula to help spread it out once it’s in the pan. If it seems too thick, add another tablespoon or two of hot water.

3. Put the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in an 8- to 12-inch skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, spoon in about half of the cornmeal mixture, and, using a spatula or the back of a spoon, spread it into a round about 6 inches in diameter. Cook until the hoecake is golden around the edges and looks set throughout, about 10 minutes, then begin to loosen the edges with a spatula. When you’ve fully released the hoecake from the pan, gently flip it. Cook another 8 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining cornmeal mixture. Serve warm.

Yes, it is called a hoe cake
A hoecake is cornbread made minimalist—a thin, unleavened round made from the simplest batter (cornmeal, water, and salt), crisp at the edges, glistening on both sides from the fat it was fried in, golden in patches. Inside, it’s dense but creamy,

Yield: Two 6-inch cakes (2 to 3 servings)
Time: About 1 hour, partially unattended

1 cup fine-ground white or yellow cornmeal
Scant ¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons peanut oil

authentic recipe would be yellow corn meal and lard not peanut oil

1. Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Put the cornmeal and salt in a large bowl, and whisk in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the boiling water. Let rest about 10 minutes.

2. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil. The mixture should be just pourable, but thick enough that you’ll need to use a spoon or spatula to help spread it out once it’s in the pan. If it seems too thick, add another tablespoon or two of hot water.

3. Put the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in an 8- to 12-inch skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, spoon in about half of the cornmeal mixture, and, using a spatula or the back of a spoon, spread it into a round about 6 inches in diameter. Cook until the hoecake is golden around the edges and looks set throughout, about 10 minutes, then begin to loosen the edges with a spatula. When you’ve fully released the hoecake from the pan, gently flip it. Cook another 8 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining cornmeal mixture. Serve warm.
Thank you. I'm going to try this. The hot water cornbread I had was about the size of a hamburger, three patties in a fry pan.

Latest posts

Back