Suggestions for my plan

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1)Where in America do you think is best palce to be in a shtf event? 2)Also never hear much about our special forces, but this question is not important. Just wonderig .

1) There are many valid locations in the US..... Its best to be close to a job and/or a good support network.
Anywhere where are are an hours drive from a major metro and have access to water and the terrain is not too open.
2) Like everybody else they are prepping. Perhaps more so than most.

I had read several years ago that lots of military officers are bugging out so to speak in the Ozarks.

The Ozarks are certainly one of the better areas in the country..
But I would not put too much value on one article.

Our Demographic is like all other americans in that we go where its a combination of secure and job-convenient. :)

The Ozarks are certainly one of the better areas in the country..
But I would not put too much value on one article.

Our Demographic is like all other americans in that we go where its a combination of secure and job-convenient. :)

I know lots of info on web and some of it is misleading,so I ask around. :thumbs:

I'd suggest you start it on your own. Instead of other people, use equipment as your force multiplier. My aunt ran a 100+ acre farm on her own for over 40 years. She stuck with horses but using equipment, she rarely needed any hands to get things done.

Start with the simplest things.
Make a livable home first and work on getting that self-sustaining.
Next would be gardening then bringing in the harvest. While you're watching your veggies grow, start getting the land prepared for other things (e.g. fences, barn, coops...)
Those couple things may take a year or two to get completed.
Then you start considering animals.

ZoomZoom has a good point. Preparing soil for crops has always been our main priority.Two things are essential, water and food. A couple hens can provide the protein as can beans.
People didn't always have meat on the table every meal. Meat means crops also unless you live in climate where grass is year round you will have to grow and store a least part of your own feed. You can try to raise and feef large livestock or small.
Even if you have a tractor if shtf and no fuel for it then its just a yard ornament.
and what there is may be too expensive to buy.

Aquaponis in some areas would be great, not here in Florida ,we tried it and heat kept being too much for fish and plants unless you have a well shaded place to keep the fish tanks and reservours. Also will need some kind of power to run pumps. You can grow your own fish food aka DuckWeed and raise worms crickets for hens and fish. Not as eay as it sounds though.

Short video IBC Aquaponics,

This guy is one we learned so many things from,he is very knowledgeable and makes it simple like we like it.
Used him for last 10 years.

Obviously the group thing is not only for a larger workforce but to add to the fiances. I can certainly understand that part.
Maybe think smaller scale. I would say ideally you team up with maybe an older couple who already have the land with their home on it. In this case you would be the workforce and you could draw on the experience of the land owners. I could see that maybe working out for both parties. You get an immediate homestead and they get the peace of mind and benefits of their homestead without the major work involved.

I know it’s technically possible to homestead on your own, but is that common? I want the knowledge to do that, but I also enjoy having a few good friends nearby to spend evenings with, and it seems that that would be easier to have if they also worked on the homestead.

That’s good to know that some level of vacation is possible!

Honestly, the main problem as I see it is finding other people who would be as committed as I am.

BlueZ, that sounds similar to the sort of situation I’d like. Do you have a garden/farm/food supply for this group?

I know it’s technically possible to homestead on your own, but is that common? I want the knowledge to do that, but I also enjoy having a few good friends nearby to spend evenings with, and it seems that that would be easier to have if they also worked on the homestead.

That’s good to know that some level of vacation is possible!

Honestly, the main problem as I see it is finding other people who would be as committed as I am.

BlueZ, that sounds similar to the sort of situation I’d like. Do you have a garden/farm/food supply for this group?

Maybe some kind of rental or share cropping and make it legal,contractual?:dunno:.Anyone who wouldn't wan to sign contract should not be messed with if you want to have it totally understood in writing,just an idea .First thing is to research

If you have a junior college or vocational school near you, and you can spare a few dollars and some time, it might be a good idea to take an agricultural course or two. Likewise, if you could find a farmer who needs somebody with a strong back to help with chores and farm work, it would be worthwhile to spend some time working on his farm. Farmer's usually love to talk about farming. (I grew up in a farming community so I'm quite familiar with their culture.) You could probably pick up some solid real world knowledge that way. Hands on experience is the best teaching tool in the world...

Our situation is a bit easier I think.

Our principal provides all buildings none of us invest a single dollar into it..
Since its on his property he builds..

Right now we can fit everyone into buildings even if just log cabins... but there is some tentage just in case..

We do provide ourselves our skills, (and our food deposit to feed ourselves and our guns/ammo).
He is a very reasonable guy and easy going and has never once put his foot down on any issue.

Its usually between him, myself and a 3rd guy as senior members who make decisions but of course his is the final call.
But we have yet to have a case were we dont all agree..
This is not Lord of the Flies.

But we are pretty generous on how much time folks have to build up their deposit of food and ammo.
Usually we give a year.. some have taken 2..

Because we all understand boots-on-the-ground is the most critical.
Z, really glad to hear someone that has a place like that, that works.

1) There are many valid locations in the US..... Its best to be close to a job and/or a good support network.
Anywhere where are are an hours drive from a major metro and have access to water and the terrain is not too open.
2) Like everybody else they are prepping. Perhaps more so than most.
Natives did a great job hiding in open terrain

Natives did a great job hiding in open terrain
They had mobility due to nomadic life style..... which we dont living in houses and having gardens..

It pays to own a good tractor with plenty of horse power and at least a front end loader considering that there are many things that humans are just not strong enough to do on their own, first of all is to make sure you have a constant supply of good clean water, some good flat land for buildings and gardens and then plant nut and fruit trees. Oh yeah, it really pays to have great neighbors, that's where we've been extremely blessed.

Good neighbors are a blessing from above. You have to be one to have one.

Good neighbors are a blessing from above. You have to be one to have one.

Not always true. Watch out or you'll end up being the n-hood Good Bot Friday"aka sucker.Made that mistake only once .

In his dayandtime I'd seek out a place with as little Obama,Hillary voters aka liberals as possible.
Even if you find an area whose residents are conservatives if its surrounded by liberals and shtf you will be out numbered if they decide to visit.
In this day and time the census is your best freind for a place to survive. Both local and state wide. We already are being comprimised by a few now who will probably change things quickly.
And I don't give a continental damn how anyone takes that. :thumbs:.

Times change, people age, community demographics change too. We moved here 25 years ago, Blue collar working class neighborhood with 1960s houses on small lots and some original owners. Today, it is a different world; most of the houses are multi-family affairs with loud Spanish music on the weekends. Very few neighbors talk to each other much but I still try to wave and nod to folks walking by just to try to avoid any future problems. When I lived in Colorado in the 1970s it was very conservative and red-neck (no offence intended). Today, it is a liberal haven, Damn that John Denver…..

I am stuck here, work is here and I really don’t see any place that really draws me. Here I am 15 minutes from hunting, I have access to lots of health care, and I figure I can out last most of the people in the area by about a year; push come to shove. I have postage stamp size garden that is out of sight and does a good job of producing 9 months out of the year. The bad part is I am half way between 2 Cities known for being liberal and hostile….

I would give my eye-teeth to have some acreage and a house in the middle of the country, but I don’t see it happening and I don’t expect to be able to retire before 70, by that time I wouldn’t be up to the task of making it work….

If you have a plan and a way to implement it now, make sure you evaluate all the potential down sides, (don’t sugar coat it), then if it still makes since: Commit to it knowing that in the end; it will be what you make of it. But know from the beginning that anything less than a full commitment will not work out.

Yeah, John Denver did pimp Colorado. When I came to Colorado to live for awhile with my mom and stepdad I had a bumper sticker that said, "Don't Californicate Colorado", people were coming in in droves from California, that's probably why Colorado became so liberal in it's politics, we saw the problems coming and left in 1980. Oregon has it's problems as well but it's not as bad as Washington or California and being in the S.W. corner we're at a pretty good distance from the horrible government we otherwise have.

Last edited:
Yeah, John Denver did pimp Colorado. When I came to Colorado to live for awhile with my mom and stepdad I had a bumper sticker that said, "Don't Californicate Colorado", people were coming in in droves from California, that's probably why Colorado became so liberal in it's politics, we saw the problems coming and left in 1980. Oregon has it's problems as well but it's not as bad as Washington or California and being in the S.W. corner we're at a pretty good distance from the horrible government we otherwise have.

They must have liked Key Largo too, since they moved to The Florida Keys and messed them up big time. As if Big Sugar didn't do enough.

Latest posts

Back