SWEET POTATO

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A perfectly baked sweet potato is one of my favorite side dishes. It’s no-fuss, easy to bake, and packed with vitamins and nutrients. To serve, just dollop with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. A little dash of cinnamon is also delicious.
Who doesn’t love a baked sweet potato when the weather’s cold outside? It’s warm, filling, nourishing and couldn’t be easier to make. It’s also super versatile – eat it plain as a side dish with a little pat of butter or jazz it up and turn it into BBQ chicken stuffed sweet potatoes for a filling meal.
And they’re good for you too! Sweet potatoes are a rich source of fiber (making them great for digestion) and they’re loaded with iron, calcium, vitamin B, vitamin C, and beta-carotene, an antioxidant which gives the potato its vibrant orange color.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SWEET POTATO AND A YAM​

Sweet potatoes and yams are both root vegetables, but they’re actually quite different. To make matters confusing, most yams sold in supermarkets in the United States are actually sweet potatoes, just marketed under the wrong name – yikes.

• Yams: these tend to have brownish, rougher skin and lighter flesh. They’re also starchier and dryer when cooked.
  • Sweet potatoes: these have more tapered ends, reddish-orange skin and vibrant orange flesh – though they can come in a variety of colors from white to orange to purple. Sweet potatoes are also sweeter (hence their name) when they’re cooked.
The take-away: if what you’ve bought looks like these photos, odds are it’s a variety of sweet potato even though it may have been called a yam in the store.
https://downshiftology.com/recipes/...EMAIL_ID]&mc_cid=f6655224af&mc_eid=690b292c8b

SWEET POTATO SOUP​

Sweet potato soup is the perfect fall and winter soup. It’s a rich blend of creamy sweet potatoes, carrots, fresh ginger, and a hint of spice. Top it off with a swirl of coconut cream, watercress, and crushed pistachios for a delicious and filling weeknight meal.

But if you’re looking for sides and proteins to serve with it, you can’t go wrong with my mashed cauliflower, green beans and crispy baked chicken thighs.

WHAT TYPE OF SWEET POTATO TO USE​

Nowadays, it’s very common to get confused with the variety of sweet potatoes available at your local market. Some are called yams, some are called sweet potatoes, but how do we know exactly what is what? Here’s a quick breakdown of what you should look out for:

• Choose the orange and red skinned potatoes. These are known as the “moist varieties” and tend to be sweeter, creamier, and less starchy.
  • Don’t be confused with yams. Sometimes the red and orange skinned potatoes can be labeled as yams. But these tend to be more starchy and dry.
  • Look for smooth skins and no soft spots. Take a closer look and make sure there are no discolorations and that the potato is nice and firm.
  • Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (Velvety Smooth!) | Downshiftology

mmmmm.... I do like them candied.

1699226079553.jpeg

To make matters confusing, most yams sold in supermarkets in the United States are actually sweet potatoes, just marketed under the wrong name – yikes.
I have tried to figure out the difference, and I do think that many people are confused about which is which, and that in fact there are two different things. I have looked at the grocery stores to see if they labeled two different things, one yams and one sweet potatoes. No. They are as confused as many of us are.

My daughter's favorite way to make sweet potatoes:

Sweet Potato Souffle

3 large sweet potatoes cooked (boiled, drained) and whipped
1 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 bag marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Peel and cook potatoes until tender.
Drain and whip potatoes, add sugar, eggs, salt, butter and vanilla.
Mix well and put in greased casserole dish.
Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 25 minutes (or maybe longer if there are other dishes).
Place marshmallows and pecans on top. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown.

Sweet Potato Latkes
From Food Network Kitchens

1/2 medium yellow onion
1/2 pound Yukon gold potato, (about 1 large)
1/2 pound sweet potato, (about 1 medium)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch cayenne
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Vegetable oil
4 teaspoons light sour cream
4 teaspoons beet or regular horseradish
2 to 3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Put a wire rack on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
Grate the onion on a box grater into a large bowl. Grate both potatoes into the same bowl, grating down the length of the potato to get long strands. Toss the potatoes with the onions as you work to keep them from discoloring. Put potato mixture in a clean dish towel and wring out excess liquid. Toss the latke mixture with the flour, salt, and cayenne. Stir in the egg.
Heat a 1/4-inch oil in a large cast iron or other heavy skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, spoon about 1/4 cup of the latke mixture into the skillet, pressing lightly to form 3-inch pancakes. Take care not to overcrowd the pan. Cook, turning once, until just golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the rack in the oven while you cook the remaining batter.
Serve the latkes topped with a small dollop of sour cream and horseradish. Garnish with a parsley leaf. Serve immediately.

Sweet Potato Pie

Recipe from "An African American Cookbook, Traditional and Other Favorite Recipes" by Phoebe Bailey, page 166.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

4 to 6 medium sized sweet potatoes
1/2 lbs. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 to 6 eggs
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
ground nutmeg to taste
9 inch unbaked pie crust

1. Boil potatoes until soft. Peel then mash to smooth consistency.
2. Add butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. Mix well.
3. Add milk and nutmeg. Mix well.
4. Pour into pie shell.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 3/4 to 2 hours until lightly brown and set. Cool before slicing.

In the far frozen north I taught some this method..
My favorite is.... Wash, split the tuber the long way.
Bake with cut side down..
Once on your plate, scoop the potato from the skin.. Enjoy with melted butter that has a pinch of cinnamon..

Chickens like the skins..

We eat them year round. Our favorite is sweet potato fries. I peel them, cut them long, put some olive oil (a little bit) on the bottom of a baking pan, roll them around in it, bake at 400 for 15 minutes, then broil them a few minutes on each side. Pretty tasty. Sometimes we eat them just boiled and mash them. I like a little butter on mine, husband eats them plain.

We eat them year round. Our favorite is sweet potato fries. I peel them, cut them long, put some olive oil (a little bit) on the bottom of a baking pan, roll them around in it, bake at 400 for 15 minutes, then broil them a few minutes on each side. Pretty tasty. Sometimes we eat them just boiled and mash them. I like a little butter on mine, husband eats them plain.
Cinnamon is good with the butter.

Somebody always wants to ruin them by adding sugary stuff, I think they’re sweet enough on their own. Perfect with spices.
-- --
Yes... Up through my mid teens maybe I liked the sweet versions.. Karo syrup, marshmallows, brown sugar and all.. Don't need or care for that now.. Just lots of butter with light cinnamon... Or just butter with a bit of black pepper..

I'm not big on sweetened sweet potatoes but I have to make them for Christmas dinner, or else.

I make a thick caramel sauce:
50/50 demarrara & coconut sugar, a butt load of butter and buckets of vanilla.

Slow cook 2-3" thick sliced potatoes in sauce until just soft, while basting once in awhile. Leave sit to soak up some caramel.

Last edited:
I'm not big on sweetened sweet potatoes but I have to make them for Christmas dinner, or else.

I make a thick caramel sauce:
50/50 demarrara & coconut sugar, a butt load of butter and buckets of vanilla.

Slow cook 2-3" thick sliced potatoes in sauce until just soft, while basting once in awhile. Leave sit to soak up some caramel.
Vanilla...will try that.

Joel.... You had me with the ..Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash.. Until they got to the kale....
....insert puking smiley face here...

I would try that in a hot minute, but it wouldn't include the kale.. However I do have to admit the only time I have had kale was at a very up scale Chinese place in Vancouver ...spit... This all put on as a company get together.. The first kale they brought out was deep fried ...retch smiley face... Then it was in other dishes through out the evening... I was polite while there, but would never go back to something like that again..

MUCH preferred the fisherman café by the cannery at the wharf...

Joel.... You had me with the ..Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash.. Until they got to the kale....
....insert puking smiley face here...

I would try that in a hot minute, but it wouldn't include the kale.. However I do have to admit the only time I have had kale was at a very up scale Chinese place in Vancouver ...spit... This all put on as a company get together.. The first kale they brought out was deep fried ...retch smiley face... Then it was in other dishes through out the evening... I was polite while there, but would never go back to something like that again..

MUCH preferred the fisherman café by the cannery at the wharf...
I agree, kales to weak for me, like watered whiskey, I like collards, more like whiskey straight..
The Red Russian kale puts a little color in the garden & a salad for DW.

Simple for me, just butter. I used to eat them cold in lunches. As a kid we’d hunt or fish in the swamp all day. I always knew there were some taters in the lunch sack. Sometimes in summer, hoeing cotton or corn, hot alabama sun. A cold tater was pretty good at lunch.

I outright dislike them as fries, fried taters are Arsh, always. 😁 Don’t like them sweetened either. But had some candied yams a friend brought a couple days ago. They were real good, surprised I liked them so well.

Yep cold taters are good. 🤪 Just ask Little Jimmie Dickens as he sings - Take an Ole Cold Tater and Wait

It looks like you're going to have to tinker with it. :(
the good news is, that it works on pumpkins and yams too.
granny cared more about what was in it than how much.
You'd think somebody who helped build Fat Boy would keep better notes

In a large mixing bowl, cream together softened butter and sugars (brown AND white?) with a beater. Add sweet potato puree, cinnamon, and vanilla, beating until it is a mush. Separately, mix you together toasted flax flour, baking soda, and salt. Add dry flour mixture into wet mixture in 2-3 batches, beating to form a dough. divide your dough with a cookie scoop, roll into balls, then gently flatten each ball into a disc. Transfer to lined baking sheets. glaze with beaten egg yolk and cream Sprinkle with you some walnuts and grated coconut, Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until starting to brown at the edges.

Anybody grow sweet potatoes in a grow bag thingies?

Latest posts

Back