TBob's Budget Homestead

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing what you've done so far, and please continue to do so! It is so enjoyable to see someone's journey - not to mention it creates a whole springboard of ideas for others.

We will be either restoring a small house and adding an addition, or scraping the small house and building from scratch. One thing we're considering is getting a portable sawmill and milling cedar from the property. But I like how you used the fence planks. Might have to steal that idea... ;)

Thanks for sharing what you've done so far, and please continue to do so! It is so enjoyable to see someone's journey - not to mention it creates a whole springboard of ideas for others.

We will be either restoring a small house and adding an addition, or scraping the small house and building from scratch. One thing we're considering is getting a portable sawmill and milling cedar from the property. But I like how you used the fence planks. Might have to steal that idea... ;)

Just got back from picking up another 50 red cedar boards from a guy who was nice enough to plane one side and 1 edge true. $1 a square foot.
Enough to finish the last wall in the living room. I'll be getting more from him, because you can't beat that price.
I have some cedar, cherry, black walnut and sycamore logs here, waiting for a gentleman to bring his portable mill over. They'll probably be used for some outdoor projects/crafts.

I envy you with a sawmill :)
I love the way the red cedar and the fencing look together, I think you'd like it too.

Here is where those boards went I picked up yesterday. Could only work a bit, so much to do now that the rain stopped today :)
Tomorrow we'll finish up this last living room wall.
lastlivingwall.jpg

Finished the last living room wall the other day, and went up yesterday to do some outside cleanup, and I could hear someone coming up the drive...
Surprise surprise! I had done some trading with a guy awhile back for something, and he was delivering it! A nice project for me and my son, when we get up there permanently. 1949 Chrysler Royale 4dr. Solid body, bad floor, bad engine...
Here is a pic:
49royale.jpg

Finished the last living room wall the other day, and went up yesterday to do some outside cleanup, and I could hear someone coming up the drive...
Surprise surprise! I had done some trading with a guy awhile back for something, and he was delivering it! A nice project for me and my son, when we get up there permanently. 1949 Chrysler Royale 4dr. Solid body, bad floor, bad engine...
Here is a pic:
49royale.jpg

That will be a fun project and your son will learn many things in the process.

My daughter is in process of restoring a VW bus. My cousin's son has been working on restoring an old Ford mustang.

Will you do the actual painting of that body, or prep it for painting? Do you have a color in mind or will you leave it the original color? Will you rebuild the engine, or have someone else rebuild it?

Here is a pic:
49royale.jpg

Hubby use to do body and paint refinishing work on old cars and classics.

That will be a fun project and your son will learn many things in the process.

My daughter is in process of restoring a VW bus. My cousin's son has been working on restoring an old Ford mustang.

Will you do the actual painting of that body, or prep it for painting? Do you have a color in mind or will you leave it the original color? Will you rebuild the engine, or have someone else rebuild it?

We'll prep it and prime it, but have a friend shoot the color. Not sure what that will be, but it won't be original, it'll be ours, from top to bottom. I have an original running engine from a different 49 Chrysler that is being used as a water pump that I can stick in, or we might just drop that 340 in storage into it...so many decisions to make, but lots of time to do so, since it's a project for the future..

I like the VW buses, I almost bought one years ago...Mustangs, I've had so many..my first car was a 1965 I paid $400 for in 1979. My dad and I redid the body, painted it white, zebra interior, headliner stereo...drove it for awhile and sold it for $1800 to a kid who wrapped it around a pole 2 weeks after. My dad taught me something then when I was upset it was totaled..when you sell it, you can't be bothered by what happens to it. If you like something that much, you shouldn't sell it.

We'll prep it and prime it, but have a friend shoot the color. Not sure what that will be, but it won't be original, it'll be ours, from top to bottom. I have an original running engine from a different 49 Chrysler that is being used as a water pump that I can stick in, or we might just drop that 340 in storage into it...so many decisions to make, but lots of time to do so, since it's a project for the future..

I like the VW buses, I almost bought one years ago...Mustangs, I've had so many..my first car was a 1965 I paid $400 for in 1979. My dad and I redid the body, painted it white, zebra interior, headliner stereo...drove it for awhile and sold it for $1800 to a kid who wrapped it around a pole 2 weeks after. My dad taught me something then when I was upset it was totaled..when you sell it, you can't be bothered by what happens to it. If you like something that much, you shouldn't sell it.

Like the old cars, after the 70s and early 80s all the cars started looking alike.

Like the old cars, after the 70s and early 80s all the cars started looking alike.
Many do have the same body. If you want to know who made it, you have to look at the hood or trunk ornament. I think if a person wants to identify a car in a criminal situation, it is getting more and more difficult because of that.

The grill styles are starting to all look alike, it's like, hey that looks good, lets make ours just like that.
People now have no incentive to be different. It's like most are afraid of standing out in a crowd. I don't understand.
puzzled-smiley-2018.jpg

Here is where we started the morning.Poles are set, ready to rock.

1poles.jpg

Snapnrack bracing going in

2bracing.jpg

Panel supports in

3panelsupports.jpg

Starting to install the panels

4starting.jpg

3200 watts of power, raring to go!

53200.jpg

Ready to wire it up, 5 strings of 2 panels, 48 volts each.

6timetowire.jpg

Wiring will wait for another day, have to pick up a friend at the airport.

Also have to get some 6ga and some 2/0, along with some pvc, and a junction box....

That solar looks so beautiful... *swoon*

Pardon my goofiness, I just have a case of envy. :)

That's half of what will be in eventually. I'd like to double it next year, but it's all about the benjamins.

The panels I bought from Solarblvd.com on sale at $0.50 watt, a pallet (10) of Mission Solar 320 watt 24 volt panels. Took a year of saving to buy them, been in storage since last year :) I looked longingly at them every time I went in the shed. they are now 59 cents a watt.

I love that level. The right tools make a job go so much easier! Excellent job putting everything together.
Here is the start of the solar panel mounts, tomorrow the rack and panels go up...woohoo!

Trench for 6GA wire from panels to controller

trench.jpg

Augering the holes

drillin.jpg

The 6 holes are done

6holes.jpg

Cementing them in, each hole took 2.5-3 bags of 80# Quikrete

cementpoles.jpg

Man, what a day yesterday was..drove two hours to pick up my friend at the airport, only to find her flight was cancelled...drove home, and was notified she was on a standby flight. Drove back once more and picked her up, took her home. :) 8 hours in the truck, got home at 1AM.
Down in the 20's overnight, so I'll wait a bit before going to work on anything, should get to 60 today.

Man, what a day yesterday was..drove two hours to pick up my friend at the airport, only to find her flight was cancelled...drove home, and was notified she was on a standby flight. Drove back once more and picked her up, took her home. :) 8 hours in the truck, got home at 1AM.
Down in the 20's overnight, so I'll wait a bit before going to work on anything, should get to 60 today.

That sounds like our weather here in Tennessee. Supposed to be in the 70's Friday, with R.A.I.N..

That's half of what will be in eventually. I'd like to double it next year, but it's all about the benjamins.

The panels I bought from Solarblvd.com on sale at $0.50 watt, a pallet (10) of Mission Solar 320 watt 24 volt panels. Took a year of saving to buy them, been in storage since last year :) I looked longingly at them every time I went in the shed. they are now 59 cents a watt.

Great looking plan. You think a year is bad, we have had ours stored for about 3 years now. Can't decide where to put them or set them up.

Great looking plan. You think a year is bad, we have had ours stored for about 3 years now. Can't decide where to put them or set them up.
put them up anywhere...one guy here has them propped up against a building...just temporary...for the last 3 years.
Get them generating!

(like I can talk)

FINALLY got the new engine for the cement mixer, and mounted it..still need to get the tire patched.
Almost ready to pour the pumphouse slab, the outdoor furnace slab, and the slab for my wifes bar ...lol
It's a Lifan 7 horse with 6:1 gear reduction to replace the 5 hp Briggs original.
cement.jpg

...and a pic of 1 of the yard carts, who has to climb in everything.

yardcat.jpg

That's Thor...he doesn't hunt, he lets the other 2 cats do it, then takes it from them...we had 4 cats dumped off, 1 didn't make it after weaving in and out of the tires of a moving truck. For "not house cats" these are sure friendly, and love to be scratched.

Awesome job! I really enjoy articles like this! I'm a hands on guy and love seeing what everyone else is working on. Time spent working on this with your son and later the car are things your son will remember from now on..............My dad helped me redo a 57 chevy when I was in JR high and I cherished that time I had with him!

Latest posts

Back