The 5 Best Toys of All Time

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toy tractors, army men, even lincoln logs, tinker toys
Ah yes, army men...used to make trenches and forts in the fill dirt pile, and set those little guys up in it. I could spend all day doing that when I was a kid. Then, after going to all that work, have a "battle" and blow them all up with firecrackers. Silver Salutes would blow them so far I couldn't find them...

And Weedy.

BacP was those Lincoln Logs interlocking? I think I remember those?
They sure were. I liked the first set I got so much, I asked for another set the next Christmas. Surprisingly I got one. LOL. Came up with some new designs and larger buildings.

Used to use tinker toys to make farm equipment .

Weedy some boys had BB guns but after me getting shot in the fanny that led to a even worse injury from his big brother, for beating the kid up no more BB guns allowed for us kids.
I was thinking about the bb guns. At some time they just disappeared. Brothers had some anger issues, so it is possible so they may have been given to someone so they wouldn't be misused. It was the same with guns in the house. At some point in time they were gone. I have no idea where they went, when or why.

I was thinking about the bb guns. At some time they just disappeared. Brothers had some anger issues, so it is possible so they may have been given to someone so they wouldn't be misused. It was the same with guns in the house. At some point in time they were gone. I have no idea where they went, when or why.

The real guns were always right in site,we never even thought of touching one of those. Mamas was always by her side.

Oh yea, you guys are making my rememberer work :). I was a tree climber extraordinar. We also played Huck Finn in the irrigation ditch and would try to find boards enough to keep us afloat. My brother had hot wheels so we would have dirt tracks all over a 10-20 ft square out where the big trucks parked. We'd also go catch crawdads down where the ditch split.
Will have to keep thinking.

Oh yea, you guys are making my rememberer work :). I was a tree climber extraordinar. We also played Huck Finn in the irrigation ditch and would try to find boards enough to keep us afloat. My brother had hot wheels so we would have dirt tracks all over a 10-20 ft square out where the big trucks parked. We'd also go catch crawdads down where the ditch split.
Will have to keep thinking.

Lady L we had crawfish are they the same kind of water lizard? never mind I'm thinking of something else I know what a crawdush is.

Last edited:
Well , I couldn't find one like the ones my dad and uncles use to make for me.
They used strips of inner tube rubber.
Oh yes ..... they were good.

If I had a dollar for all the crows I plugged, and even a squirrel or two.
th.jpeg

IMG_3773.JPG

Jim

Crawdads are like little freshwater lobsters. Good to eat but you have to catch 50 to make a meal. They're fun to catch but they can give a nasty pinch with those little claws...

Thanks Spike I realized that after a few minutes. We had some kind of lizard looking things I got them mixed up with,maybe salmanders,don't know if they swim? But our spring fed creeks had lots in them.

One of the things we did for entertainment when we were kids was play outside in the rain. We would splash, roll around in the ditches and get all muddy. Both sets of grandparents allowed it.
Lol that was great stuff. And afterward youd be out in the yard in your underwear getting all the mud washed off with the garden hose...

View attachment 30968
View attachment 30969
Jim

Jim we had them too. And homemade bow and arrows that never worked so not popular..

View attachment 30968
View attachment 30969
Jim
A few years ago I went to a preparedness store. One of the things they were selling for self defense was slingshots. Unlike a gun, you can use them and not likely be heard.

One of the things we did for entertainment when we were kids was play outside in the rain. We would splash, roll around in the ditches and get all muddy. Both sets of grandparents allowed it.
We were mud monsters but had to be hosed off before eating lunch/dinner. We didn't like that 'cause that water was cold. You can still get erector sets. I got one for my son when he was young. Here's another thing - we called them water weinies. They were a tubing we got at the ranch supply store. You could buy it by the foot. Tie a knot in one end and fill it with water, shot better than any squirt gun.

A few years ago I went to a preparedness store. One of the things they were selling for self defense was slingshots. Unlike a gun, you can use them and not likely be heard.

I haven't shot one since I was a kid, but I remember having a favorite one, and hot to be very good shot with it , specially using ball bearings and marbles.

Jim

Speaking of marbles..oh gosh, marbles..

Latest posts

Back