The 5 Best Toys of All Time

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what about the knees of your pants?

Yes, those were worn out also.
The playground at school was our marble playing field. It was a fine white ground limestone.
Rough on knuckle, and knees.

I never played much when boulders or steelies were allowed.

But I could clean the pot with regular marbles.
Cat eyes and pearlies.

Jim

Trees were not part of our repertoire. Growing up in the desert they were few and far between, and they all had thorns. Not much opportunity to build a tree house. Good luck trying to climb a cactus. We did build forts. Usually just a hole maybe 6' x 6' x 2'. We would hide it with brush. Spikedriver, you are so right. Building it was more fun than playing in it.

Oh yeah. Sewed on patches were common.

Then the iron on patches...waste of time.

Jim

Jim I got to slide this one in,,it came in handy on down the road for peg legging our jeans. Locking them stitches in real good too so they could handle all the dancing and fun.

That reminds me, we also made wood plank dance floors that didn't last long because most of us would rarher chase horses and donks than jitta bug. But we did dance at times. Outside homr made dance floors were fun.

I played marbles too.
A brother loved snakes, I played with snakes, lizards, turtles, bugs.
We'd sit in uncle's car that didn't run much at our house. That was fun cuz it was probably a car from the 1940s, in the 60s. I was just a little pipsqueak.

Patch I wasn't good at marles but I was a snake magnet. I didn't play with them but sometimes swimming in our lake they like to play with me. Mama would say " get out of the water' I'd say why. Which always promised me stripes from her big tree limb . Snake swimming around my head right behind me, and you all heard about the two in the creek and ' Lords Last Supper].

I couldn't help it,couldn't pass this one up, lyrics in it too for our hearing impaired.

I would say the best toy - universally liked - for children is the bicycle. For grown men, the best toy is the firearm. I'm not sure what the best toy for grown women is. For my wife, that would be a hockey stick. But she's far from normal...

Agreed.

For my wife it's going to the spa and salon.

It seems the original 5 best toys of all time have a common thread binding them together that is lost today: Imagination.

A stick could be a sing shot, rifle, Bow, arrow, digging tool, fishing pole, bat… Right on down to just something to poke something else with. Same with the other 4 on the list, just basic ingredients to have fun with using… Your imagination.

It seems the original 5 best toys of all time have a common thread binding them together that is lost today: Imagination.

A stick could be a sing shot, rifle, Bow, arrow, digging tool, fishing pole, bat… Right on down to just something to poke something else with. Same with the other 4 on the list, just basic ingredients to have fun with using… Your imagination.
Another common thread seems to be making or creating something with them. Boxes, string, dirt, sticks...you can build with them. Now toys look great, but what do you do with them when the newness wears off? Legos are one of the only newer toys that really let's kids roll with their imagination.

@Cnsper that's exactly what I was thinking:)
Jumping rope kept us busy as kids too. You could even tie one end to a door knob or fence picket and have another person swing two ropes - that was mostest funnest:)
We jumped rope a lot as well. We also had hoola hoops that kept us busy.

Bouncy ball. I remember being in 5th and 6th grade. We had a game we played at recess with a bouncy ball and a wall. For one, we bounced the ball off the wall and caught it, once. Two, we bounced it off the wall and the ground and caught it, twice. I do not remember all the parts, but we were into it. A bouncy ball got a lot of use.

Latest posts

Back