The ancient recipe curing sick soil

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elkhound, thanks for the wonderful videos. I learned a lot about soil treatment. I had never heard of Biochar. This maybe a wonderful method for starting orchards. Extremely long lasting and minimal future soil treatment.

this will be the way i do my new espalier orchard.i already have plants bought and on site for this project. i have most all supplies to do it with just 'laying around' my homestead so its time to put them ' to work'. i am combining my experiences along with these guys and many others to come up with scheme/design i will be putting to work.

Last edited:
@elkhound yes that is why the rainforest floors are so fertile too as there is so much natural biochar in there from bushfires going through them regularly, well at least here in Australia that is the case. We also put crushed charcoal from our fires in the garden beds as it helps the soil retain water too. You can just burn your weeds you pull out and put that in the garden beds for biochar too.

Now I have another piece of trivial information forever embedded in my mind. I new that some charcoal was good for the soil but now I have the "rest of the story".
Elkhound, thank you for the dissemination of your knowledge! I have always felt that knowledge is worthless unless it is shared and you have proven the truth in that thought.

very interesting video...i always chop and drop directly a portion in garden because worms there need it to feed on.

Latest posts

Back