The first 100 things that go in a collapse

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
First Hundred Things That Go In A Collapse (Part 1)

I found the article interesting. Apparently, the list is based on real world and recent SHTF event.

While I hate long lists, it was still worthwhile to review and evaluate where you stand on such items. One of my favorite prepping items, buckets, is number 18 on the list. Goats/chickens is number 100. I would think those would disappear sooner than that!

Here is the lists top 10 items.

1. Generators
Prices can range from a few hundred dollars to thousands. Lots of fuel must be stored(away from home).

2. Water Filters/Purifiers
The Sawyer Mini Water Filter is highly recommended and widely available. For higher usage volume check out the Sawyer Bucket Kit.

3. Zippo Lighters, butane, Bic lighters

4. Seasoned Firewood

5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps
(First choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)

6. Tents

7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats and Slingshots
Any means of defense will be highly sought after.

8. Manual Can Openers
These can be picked up for as little as $1.00 each.

9. Sweeteners such as sugar and honey.

10. Rice – Beans – Wheat
(White rice is now around $20.oo – 50# bag @ Sam’s Club, pack in Mylar with oxygen absorbers)

First Hundred Things That Go In A Collapse (Part 1)

I found the article interesting. Apparently, the list is based on real world and recent SHTF event.

While I hate long lists, it was still worthwhile to review and evaluate where you stand on such items. One of my favorite prepping items, buckets, is number 18 on the list. Goats/chickens is number 100. I would think those would disappear sooner than that!

Here is the lists top 10 items.

1. Generators
Prices can range from a few hundred dollars to thousands. Lots of fuel must be stored(away from home).

2. Water Filters/Purifiers
The Sawyer Mini Water Filter is highly recommended and widely available. For higher usage volume check out the Sawyer Bucket Kit.

4. Seasoned Firewood

(First choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)

6. Tents

Any means of defense will be highly sought after.

8. Manual Can Openers
These can be picked up for as little as $1.00 each.

10. Rice – Beans – Wheat
(White rice is now around $20.oo – 50# bag @ Sam’s Club, pack in Mylar with oxygen absorbers)
First, I want to say thank you for posting this - I like these lists because they are a good reminder and it prompts me to take stock of my own list.
Second, These lists drive me nuts! Really make up? Veg. oil? Liquid laundry det. ? Why not powdered? Clothes are on there multiple times as well as nuts and bolts. And what's up with coffee being # 92 on the list but cots and extra mattresses are #87 😂 Without #92, there will be nobody willing to visit. Soy sauce?
Third, I think my thing is needing as few things now as possible so if it hits the fan, I just carry on. I don't use half the things on the list but do use several of the things most probably only have in case it hits the fan. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me. Pa and Ma Ingles sure didn't have all that. I would caution against buying things just because they are on someone else's list.
AJ - please don't think I'm picking on you. I like that you posted this - am considering erasing all of the above.
Well, no, I think it's valid food for thought.

Ooh - great list! I like ferro rods over lighters (no fuel to run out of) and solar LED lanterns over oil lamps (maybe I have a thing against combustible liquids?)... And it's a good reminder to make sure I have tents in working order - after my kids borrow them, I need to make sure the right poles made it back, etc.

First, I want to say thank you for posting this - I like these lists because they are a good reminder and it prompts me to take stock of my own list.
Second, These lists drive me nuts! Really make up? Veg. oil? Liquid laundry det. ? Why not powdered? Clothes are on there multiple times as well as nuts and bolts. And what's up with coffee being # 92 on the list but cots and extra mattresses are #87 😂 Without #92, there will be nobody willing to visit. Soy sauce?
Third, I think my thing is needing as few things now as possible so if it hits the fan, I just carry on. I don't use half the things on the list but do use several of the things most probably only have in case it hits the fan. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me. Pa and Ma Ingles sure didn't have all that. I would caution against buying things just because they are on someone else's list.
AJ - please don't think I'm picking on you. I like that you posted this - am considering erasing all of the above.
Well, no, I think it's valid food for thought.

Life without soy sauce would absolutely suck!

Ah, the crucial divide. Life without Tabasco sauce would absolutely suck. drink buddy

Louisiana Hot Sauce is another one who would be worth its weight in gold.

Ah, the crucial divide. Life without Tabasco sauce would absolutely suck. drink buddy
Louisiana Hot Sauce is another one who would be worth its weight in gold.
The good news is, you don't need gallons of either one:thumbs:.:)

I do disagree with a few of things on the top-ten list, since we play the SHTF game whenever a hurricane rolls thru, I'm not guessing here.
#1 on the list should obviously be gasoline.
Mentioning it as a side note for generators "Lots of fuel must be stored(away from home)" is useless for most.
#3 on the list should be batteries. In 2 days there are zero in all nearby cities for weeks.
If you have just one BIC lighter, you can light 1000 fires. They store easily for 10 years too. I've done both.
#8. A manual can opener? Everybody likely has one, they just have to look for it. If not, their neighbor has one.
Maybe we change #8 to: Propane tanks for the gas-grill that aren't empty?

Everything else on the top-10 list is spot-on. :thumbs:
Edit: Ask @phideaux what is 'unavailable' in W.Kentucky about now for more tips.

Last edited:
Well, heck, I wanna play in this fun game too. Here is my thought on some of these items, not that I am right but I do know most of what I think I know.

1. Generators
I have a 6500 watt roll around model and a 4000 watt Onan in my trailer, but I would like to pick up a diesel powered generator that would be capable of burning a variety of oils in addition to diesel fuel.

I don't know why but I am finding it difficult to get a reliable flame out of most lighters lately. Could it be due to the 5300 foot elevation at my place? I have been leaning to the one pound propane tank with an auto spark button on the nozzle.

I do have a couple old style lanterns and some fuel for them but I don't do oil lamps. I don't know why, I have nothing against them but here is my take on the new LED style lighting. LED lights work great but the battery life doesn't seem to last as long as my old MagLight I used as a cop. The old MagLight I would change out the batteries every fall when the days started getting longer and they would usually last 4 months when I worked night shift and about 10 months when I worked day shift.

6. Tents
Did you know if power and heat were out in the cold of winter you could set up a tent in your house and it will help to contain your body heat in a smaller space. Of course it needs to be a tent without the mesh vents and openings on the roof and sides,

If you are considering a bat I suggest a lighter weight so that you can get the swing going quicker and faster. Heavier bats take a little bit longer to get moving and even a fraction of a second delay could be a bad thing. A 3 foot section of 1/2" pipe could be an option as well and the smaller diameter might help in breaking a bone by condensing the impact zone to a half inch or less instead of over a few inches of a bat.

8. Manual Can Openers
Two or three at least, but have you scene the video on how to open a can on a slab of cement? Rub the top of the can on the cement until most the metal on the top wears off then fold the top back.

10. Rice – Beans – Wheat
When I packed my rice in the vacuum packs I placed several packs of rice into a 5 gallon bucket and then made small packs of salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, or whatever other spice or seasoning you might prefer. I figure if I have rice and seasoning I could cook up a jack rabbit or crow and make it taste decent. I think I made the rice packs with 4 cups of rice and three of those packs fit in the bucket with just enough room for several small packs of seasoning. You could alter the seasoning based on what's in the bucket, rice, beans, pasta, wheat, flour, whatever.

Hmmm, let me see what else I can think of.....
A roll of 6 mill plastic sheeting, the larger rolls are usually 10'x100' and are available in clear (which is usually opaque but lets light through) and black which could be helpful in the winter for absorbing heat.
Gorilla Tape works best for the plastic and many other uses and repairs, but you might have your own favorite variety of duct tape.
Bailing wire, and/or craft wire, to tie things down or together or in the case of craft wire to make a snare trap.
A piecost because sometimes you just need a way to have fun.

Good List AJ. Thanks for posting. Many of us have been monitoring these lists for many years. They are always good to read periodically as a confirmation for how we are doing. I go through the list and check things off, Yep, got that, Yep, got that. I will always check to make sure there isn't anything of consequence that I have forgotten or overlooked. I make my own judgements (I'm sure we all do) as to what is important. No list is set in stone. All are adaptable to our own situation.

Edit: Ask @phideaux what is 'unavailable' in W.Kentucky about now for more tips.

Generators of any size , are gold.

Gas cans can't be found

Water in bottles are life savers.

Daily food of any kind.

All the other stuff is just luxuries.
Accomodations/shelter is a must with temps in the 20s at night. Haven't seen anyone using tents.
Community/ family /friends are providing shelter to 1000s.

This was what use to be Dawson Springs , our neighboring town , at sunset yesterday.
FB_IMG_1640095191760.jpg

Jim

well....we seen first thing to disappear was toilet paper...right or wrong this last minor go around of shtf deal was toilet paper...ammo was next....then various food items.

we have seen globally long term stuff one thing is all fuels...cause people are going to try and keep on functioning daily life out and its one of items we 'need' daily to function in this type society we have set up...as a whole..broad brush statement..i know theres spots around globe this is not so much the case.

Generators of any size , are gold.

Gas cans can't be found

Water in bottles are life savers.

Daily food of any kind.

All the other stuff is just luxuries.
Accomodations/shelter is a must with temps in the 20s at night. Haven't seen anyone using tents.
Community/ family /friends are providing shelter to 1000s.

This was what use to be Dawson Springs , our neighboring town , at sunset yesterday.
View attachment 77488

Jim

this right here is a case builder to have a root cellar stocked with supplies. you can hide from storms and even if things are stripped bare you can function at least a little bit...place to sleep and if you had underground cistern you could pull out a handpump from cellar you stored and get drinking water for awhile depending on size of tank you had filled.

a few drums of food,clothes etc. and at least a few drums of drinking water. even though there might be drinking water a few miles away does you no good if ya vehicle got destroyed...my above scenario would at least let you function daily needs.

glad you are safe...sad for all who are effected by storm.

I do not understand the obsession with water in plastic bottles. I memory serves when Covid first hit almost two years ago after toilet paper, cleaning supplies and N95 masks people panicked because they couldn't get bottled water. To the best of my knowledge there was never a shortage or stoppage of water supply. I don't remember hearing of a boil order anywhere. There certainly wasn't one here near me.

Do you know how many food items are packaged in plastic bottles? Every single one of which can be cleaned and used for water. Two liter bottles of soda cost .87 cents at Wal Mart. Throw away the soda and use them for water. There are so many alternatives.

I do not understand the obsession with water in plastic bottles. I memory serves when Covid first hit almost two years ago after toilet paper, cleaning supplies and N95 masks people panicked because they couldn't get bottled water. To the best of my knowledge there was never a shortage or stoppage of water supply. I don't remember hearing of a boil order anywhere. There certainly wasn't one here near me.

Do you know how many food items are packaged in plastic bottles? Every single one of which can be cleaned and used for water. Two liter bottles of soda cost .87 cents at Wal Mart. Throw away the soda and use them for water. There are so many alternatives.

I don't know about everywhere else but when we go to El Paso we always take bottled water. The water there is horrible!! I'll go without before I touch the tap water there.

I don't know about everywhere else but when we go to El Paso we always take bottled water. The water there is horrible!! I'll go without before I touch the tap water there.

when i was out in your neck of the woods...i tossed out bottled water..stopped at hardware and bought a GOTT 5 gallon water cooler thing for back of truck to have enough to drink...first couple of days me and friend were drinking everything we had plus stopping and buying drinks..my lips felt like they disappeared from my face....lol...stopped at san fransico river..walked over to it and just blinked several times...my brain couldnt wrap around the term river used for that...i mean where i come from we have springs flowing out of mtn larger than what i seen. i was expecting it to be dry but nothing like reality of it.

i know a spot water comes up out of ground from under rock wall. it was officially measured at 3000 gallon a minute. its a spring and not a creek.

last year i had close to 90 inches of rain..this year its back to normal in mid 50's.all the rain last year charged the ground and ponds and several small springs with slowed discharge and ponds with no water for several years are all full and stayed full even in heat of summer this year and long period of no rain and heat.

blah blah blah...elk likes the rain !

The first thing to go is usually common sense.
Yes, I have always wondered about the ritual of bottled water before a hurricane.
Our water supply has always been rock solid thru even the worst of times.
You need only look up at the water-tower that needs no electric power to do it's thing. :thumbs:
Doesn't matter. The stores are ready. Our little local grocery store will have 3 pallets of bottled water outside their front door everytime there is trouble brewing.
And you see the same people with a shopping cart piled high with water....
that heard there was something called 'covid' making the rounds and said: "Quick! We must have 600 rolls of TP!!!"gaah

Last edited:
Yes, I have always wondered about the ritual of bottled water before a hurricane.
Our water supply has always been rock solid thru even the worst of times.
You need only look up at the water-tower that needs no electric power to do it's thing. :thumbs:
Doesn't matter. The stores are ready. Our little local grocery store will have 3 pallets of bottled water outside their front door everytime there is trouble brewing.
And you see the same people with a shopping cart piled high with water....
that heard there was something called 'covid' making the rounds and said: "Quick! We must have 600 rolls of TP!!!"gaah

I keep a small supply of water for emergencies. Broken pipes happen, water towers get shot by kids, car runs off the road or debris get thrown by storms and hit the tower damaging it. Been there seen that.

93.735% (scientific guestimate) of the time tap water is fine for drinking and I recall reports of several different water analysis reports years ago where tests showed the cheap bottled water matched the local tap/well water of the location of the bottling plant. I think I remember the same reports saying even the medium priced fancy water brands were tap water with just a couple additives like sodium or something else.

Latest posts

Back