The great tater thread!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I didn't see one, if it is here, please merge it.

Potato soup:
Boil 4 clean and unpeeled potatoes,1 cup of carrot pieces, and 1/2 a cup of celery in just enough chicken broth to almost cover the potatoes until done, add the diced tops of 2 green onions, lower to a simmer and add powdered milk until it suits you. crush the taters with a large fork and stir well.

Taters stroganoff.
One boiled or baked potato, split down the middle and add your favorite beef stroganoff mix and beef.

Tater taco.
Make taco-style ground beef.
add salsa.
dump it on your split baked potato, bomb it with cheese, and put it in the oven until it melts.

Bacon cheddar tater.
Split your baked tater. add a couple of slices of bacon and a wedge of cheddar cheese, and put a slop of sour cream on top after the cheese gets gooey.

Trailer park tater.
1 baked tater.
half a slice of baloney.
Half a slice of tomato.
mayonnaise it.

Home-style tater logs.
Cut your tater lengthwise and drop it into sizzling lard that has been seasoned with onion tops.
Serve with an even mix of ketchup and Louisiana hot sauce.

Breaded tater logs. (WIP)
Mix a thick batter of Bisquick flour and half as much cornmeal with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to your taste. roll your tater log in the batter like a fish and deep fry.

no bake Taters Au gratin.
Fry up several good-sized potatoes cut into healthy slices and one finely diced onion in bacon grease.
make a mild American cheese sauce by adding cheese to boiling water, and adding a bit of cream. cover the taters in it and put a couple of slices of bacon on each serving.

Seattle day bread.
Two cups of mashed potatoes.
two cups of corn meal.
four eggs.
1 cup of self-rising flour or Bisquick.
1 finely chopped onion OR three green onions, top and all.
1/4 cup of bacon grease.
add buttermilk until you can almost stand your spoon in it.
1/2 cup of crushed bacon or cracklings. pork rinds work too!
Fry fritter style in bacon grease or bake like cornbread.
Think of it as an MRE for lumberjacks. LOL

Potato dumplings.
2 cups of mashed potatoes.
1 cup of Bisquick.
2 finely diced green onions including the tops.
Fry in chicken fat.

More to come.

9X13 baking dish
1 cube butter, melt
Cut clean potatoes in half, score cut side about every 3/4" in a hashmark pattern, allay cut side down
(Optional) coarse ground pepper on cut side
Bake 350º until brown and crispy on bottom, about 1 1/2hr.
Remove from oven and let cool until all the butter is absorbed by the potatoes.

Breakfast baked tater.
One split baked potato.
crush lightly and add two fried eggs a sausage patty and cheese.

Western tater.
One split baked or boiled tater.
add 1 cup of chili and bomb it with cheese and sliced peppers.

Chicken tater stuffing
Boil chicken until it falls off the bone, add celery, carrots, grated onion, ground chili peppers, and a pinch each of sage, black pepper, and sea salt, thicken with cornstarch or flour, and pour over baked or boiled taters.

Italian tater
Brown and scramble 2 Lbs of hamburger.
1 large shredded onion.
1 small can or one cup of mushroom chunks drained.
1 jar of meat Ragu spaghetti sauce.
1/4 cup of shredded pepperoni.
Pour it over your baked or boiled potatoes. crush them slightly, then bomb them with Parmesan cheese and bake until melted.

Hawaiian tater.
1/2 a pound of shredded ham.
1 can of mushrooms, well drained.
1 cup of drained pineapple chunks.
1 crushed chili pepper.
1/4 cup of butter.
1/4 cup of brown sugar. saute until the sugar is caramelized and dish over baked spuds.

Beans and taters.
In one quart of green beans, add two good-sized taters and a good-sized piece of salt pork or fatback OR 1/2 a pack of bacon. cook it until your taters are tender.

Next time, tater cakes and boiled potato pie!

I got time for pie.

3 cups of creamy mashed potatoes without salt or other seasoning.
1/4 cup of vanilla extract.
1 cup of sugar.
1/4 can of cream.
1 cup of Chocolate marshmallows.
put it in the crust and bake until done OR serve as pudding.
chill well covered in Cool Whip.

Mmmmm, Taters I loves my taters, lol.
9X13 baking dish
1 cube butter, melt
Cut clean potatoes in half, score cut side about every 3/4" in a hashmark pattern, allay cut side down
(Optional) coarse ground pepper on cut side
Bake 350º until brown and crispy on bottom, about 1 1/2hr.
Remove from oven and let cool until all the butter is absorbed by the potatoes.

That sounds good, Ima have to try that. any particular tater, Idaho?

I love potatoes! This is not a potato recipe, but an interesting video I watched today about potatoes being one thing that we can grow in the aftermath of all the GMO food. We all need to consider the humble potato as a survival crop.

Rumble

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with taters
:thumbs:
My favorites look like this :D :
maxresdefault.jpg

Who doesn't love those?

My favorite is the wife's scalloped taters
I know Amish makes scalloped potatoes as well. I do too. Whenever we have them, people act like they are something miraculous.

Scalloped Potatoes
Ingredients
Sliced potatoes
a small amount of onion
salt and pepper
flour (we make them gluten free)
whipping cream
margarine (I use butter)

Grease a casserole dish. (I use butter when I do.) Add potatoes, onion, salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons flour over the top. Cover mixture with equal amounts of cream and water, or use all whipping cream. If you don't have cream, use all milk and no water. Dot with margarine (butter). Sprinkle with cheese if you wish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours uncovered.

It doesn't curdle.

Potato Dumplings

There are a few recipes for potato dumplings. I will post our family recipe and then a typical or common recipe.

Our family recipe:

This is one of those recipes which is passed down in the family and taught, not really recorded, so the amounts are guesstimated.

How many potatoes? How many people are you having dinner, and who are they? For me, one dumpling is enough, but as a young person I could/would eat two or three. Others would eat more. Older people tend to eat less. Great grandpa John V said that potato dumplings would kill the tailor. G Grandpa was a farmer and blacksmith. He worked hard and could eat the potato dumplings without gaining weight.

For a family meal of 6 to 8 people, I use a five pound bag of potatoes. Otherwise, I tend to use two potatoes per person.

Peel and grate the raw, uncooked potatoes, using a fine grater, not shredding the potatoes. You could also use a food processor. The grated potatoes are then placed in a woven cotton dish towel and moisture is squeezed out, being saved in a cup or bowl.

Place the moisture reduced, grated potatoes in a bowl and add some flour, perhaps a 1/2 to full cup for 5 pounds of potatoes. Salt to your liking, perhaps a teaspoon or so for 5 pounds of potatoes. Pour the moisture off the top of the saved potato water into the drain and put the starch which has settled in the bottom into the bowl of potato and flour. Mix all together well. Smooth the top of the ingredients and sprinkle the top with a thin layer of flour.

Take spoonsful of the mixture and roll into a ball, using the flour from the top as the outer edge of the dumpling, so the dumpling does not stick to your hand, but rather clumps together. Your dumplings will be around 3 to 4 inches in diameter.

Place the dumplings into a large pot of boiling water and cover. You will want to use a spoon to loosen the dumplings from the bottom of the pan. Also, the pot boils over easily and you will have to watch them closely if you do not want a big mess. I lift the lid often and reduce the heat a little. They just need to be watched!

They will cook in about 20 minutes. They will float up at some point, but are not necessarily done when they float. To test for doneness, take a dumpling out and cut it in half. You will be able to see if it has cooked though yet.

After cooking the pork, remove the meat from the pan. Add some water to deglaze the pan, heating the water and stirring until all the good flavor from the pan is loosened and incorporated into the water. How much water? Too much dilutes the flavor. Too little and there is not enough pan gravy for everyone. You want it to be dark brown, but it is not a thick gravy. It is watery. This is never thickened.
Serve dumplings with kraut and pork (roast, chops, side pork) and the drippings from the pan. Duck was another common meat eaten with dumplings.

The potato dumplings are eaten by each individual cutting up their dumpling into bite size pieces on their plate, which is then covered with a layer of kraut and some of the pan juices spooned over the top.

Potato Dumpling recipe (More common recipe amongst Czechs)

4 1/2 cups grated boiled potatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup farina
3 eggs
2 cups flour

Stir all ingredients together and put dough on bread board and work together with more flour. Shape into 20 oblong dumplings. Boil 10 to 12 minutes.

(When I made this recipe, I found it took more than 12 minutes, more like 20 minutes to cook these dumplings. They were mushy before that. You want them to be done!)

In the Czech Republic, these potato dumplings are cut up and fried in a pan with butter. They are served for all meals, including breakfast.

I know Amish makes scalloped potatoes as well. I do too. Whenever we have them, people act like they are something miraculous.

Scalloped Potatoes
Ingredients
Sliced potatoes
a small amount of onion
salt and pepper
flour (we make them gluten free)
whipping cream
margarine (I use butter)

Grease a casserole dish. (I use butter when I do.) Add potatoes, onion, salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons flour over the top. Cover mixture with equal amounts of cream and water, or use all whipping cream. If you don't have cream, use all milk and no water. Dot with margarine (butter). Sprinkle with cheese if you wish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours uncovered.

It doesn't curdle.
Wife's is very similar. She uses milk instead of cream. But she's has started making it as a stove top dish. Taste as good or better. But it don't get the crispy edges like in the oven.

Mmmmm, Taters I loves my taters, lol.

That sounds good, Ima have to try that. any particular tater, Idaho?
I go into the pantry and carefully select whatever I can find. I prefer a medium to smallish potato but but the large ones never got tossed out.

The coal miner's special:
Two boneless chicken breasts, breaded and fried, laid out on a pile of fried and drained potatoes covered in chicken gravy, four eggs, however, you like them, 4 biscuits, a bowl of extra gravy, a bowl of grits and butter, and jelly on the side. Big glass of moo juice.

Someone posted a recipe (Irish origin ?) for mashed potato patties with fine shredded cabbage, egg, salt, pepper... I'm going to try that this winter... (with fine chopped onion and garlic)

Wife's is very similar. She uses milk instead of cream. But she's has started making it as a stove top dish. Taste as good or better. But it don't get the crispy edges like in the oven.
Does she cook the potatoes before she adds the milk? Milk can burn so easily. I do know that my grandmother would occasionally make creamed potatoes. Potatoes were cooked first, then a cream sauce was made and they were eaten in that sauce. I have never made creamed potatoes.

Someone posted a recipe (Irish origin ?) for mashed potato patties with fine shredded cabbage, egg, salt, pepper... I'm going to try that this winter... (with fine chopped onion and garlic)
Is that called Colcannon, an Irish dish?
https://www.smalltownwoman.com/traditional-irish-colcannon-potatoes-and-cabbage/

Traditional Irish Colcannon Recipe​

Colcannon-Recipe-Car-500x400.webp

https://www.smalltownwoman.com/traditional-irish-colcannon-potatoes-and-cabbage/print/21503/#respond
This traditional Irish Colcannon side dish is made with creamy mashed potatoes, swirled with fried cabbage, onions, and crisp bacon, and seasoned with salt and pepper. It’s the perfect addition to any comfort food meal.
  • 3 large russet potatoes peeled and cut in to large chunks
  • 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and chunked
  • 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 1/2 head green cabbage chopped
  • 6 slices crispy cooked bacon coarsely chopped
  • kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS​

1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan with enough lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well, making sure to remove excess water. Add 4 tablespoons butter and cream. Cover the pot and let the butter melt.
  2. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender. Add cabbage and cook until tender and lightly browned on the edges: approximately 7-8 minutes.
  3. Mash potatoes with a potato masher and gently stir in the cabbage mixture and half of the chopped bacon. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Top with the remaining chopped bacon. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cut the remaining tablespoon of butter into pats. Make a small well on top and add the remaining butter.

NOTES​

• I use a mixture of Russet and Yukon Gold potatoes for this recipe, but you can use one or the other if desired.
  • For aesthetic purposes and for the tradition of the recipe, stick with green cabbage.
  • Are you always pushed for time? Then cook the bacon up to 3 days in advance and store it in a sealed zipper bag in the fridge. The potatoes can be peeled and soaked in cold water up to 4 hours in advance of boiling them.
  • If cooking the bacon at the same time, whether it be in the oven or in the skillet. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat and use it in place of 2 tablespoons of butter for pan-frying the cabbage and onion.
  • This delectable dish reheats very well in the microwave at reduced power.
  • Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
  • You can freeze these potatoes in a heavy-duty freezer bag for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Because of the high moisture content in both potatoes and cabbage, you may need to rework the mash with some butter, sour cream, or cream cheese to get it back to its original texture and consistency.

Does she cook the potatoes before she adds the milk? Milk can burn so easily. I do know that my grandmother would occasionally make creamed potatoes. Potatoes were cooked first, then a cream sauce was made and they were eaten in that sauce. I have never made creamed potatoes.
She actually layers the tater and onions with flour and butter between. Then adds milk after its all in the pan and started cooking. I don't recall the mild ever burning. But the pan is hot and already cooking some when she adds it. Heat isn't real high either

Chunk up your potatoes, cover with unsalted water, bring to a boil.
When the potatoes are half done add lightly smoked salmon, or black cod, or your favourite smoked fish.
Butter potatoes after draining and serve with creamed peas. Peas in a milk gravy.

It's here, my not secret family recipe for cheeseburger Tater tot cassarole:

Prep Time:

15 mins
Cook Time:
45 mins
Total Time:
1 hr
Servings:
Yield:
1 9x13-inch casserole

Ingredients

• 1 onion, diced
  • butter-flavored cooking spray (such as Pam®)
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed golden mushroom soup (such as Campbell's®)
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed Cheese Soup (such as Campbell's®) I like to use Fiesta Cheese soup.
  • 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 (32 ounce) package frozen bite-size potato nuggets (such as Tater Tots®)

Directions

1. Place onion in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with water. Microwave on high until soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain. I never do this, I cook the onions with the ground beef
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
  1. Cook and stir ground beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crumbly. Drain and discard grease.
  1. Transfer beef to the prepared casserole dish and spread onion pieces evenly over top. Spread soup over onions and sprinkle Cheddar cheese evenly over soup. Layer frozen potato nuggets in rows on cheese.
  1. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Lightly spray potato nuggets with cooking spray, and bake until cooked through and crunchy, about 10 minutes more.

Tips

If you like a very strong onion flavor, keep the onions raw when placing them into the casserole.
The casserole is prettiest when you lay one row of horizontal Tater Tots and then one row of vertical Tater Tots, and continue that pattern all the way across the casserole dish.
You don't have to bake this immediately. You can make it ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight. the next day, just pull it out and bake it for the recommended 30 minutes.

Prep Time:

15 mins
Cook Time:
45 mins
Total Time:
1 hr
Servings:
Yield:
1 9x13-inch casserole

Ingredients

• 1 onion, diced
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed Cheese Soup (such as Campbell's®) I like to use Fiesta Cheese soup.

Directions

1. Place onion in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with water. Microwave on high until soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain. I never do this, I cook the onions with the ground beef
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
  1. Cook and stir ground beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crumbly. Drain and discard grease.
  1. Transfer beef to the prepared casserole dish and spread onion pieces evenly over top. Spread soup over onions and sprinkle Cheddar cheese evenly over soup. Layer frozen potato nuggets in rows on cheese.
  1. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Lightly spray potato nuggets with cooking spray, and bake until cooked through and crunchy, about 10 minutes more.

Tips

If you like a very strong onion flavor, keep the onions raw when placing them into the casserole.
The casserole is prettiest when you lay one row of horizontal Tater Tots and then one row of vertical Tater Tots, and continue that pattern all the way across the casserole dish.
You don't have to bake this immediately. You can make it ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight. the next day, just pull it out and bake it for the recommended 30 minutes.
I knew YOU would come through!!👍

Prep Time:

15 mins
Cook Time:
45 mins
Total Time:
1 hr
Servings:
Yield:
1 9x13-inch casserole

Ingredients

• 1 onion, diced
  • 2 pounds ground beef

Directions

Tips

I like, but rarely use golden mushroom soup. I would add some garlic and seasoning salt to the burger.

I like, but rarely use golden mushroom soup. I would add some garlic and seasoning salt to the burger.
Sadly, my heritage MAY preclude the use of Garlic :p. (Not a fan)

Latest posts

Back