The great tater thread!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They still call them "steak fries" here for whatever reason. Longhorn and Hunt's both call them that. Maybe they're seared in steak grease?

Sliced, pealed potatoes, sliced onion, with a gravy of cream of mushroom soup. Bake until the potatoes are done, usually with a light golden top. Makes a great side or a main dish with pork chops on top.

I didn't know these were called Funeral Potatoes for many years. I think it was called hash brown casserole when I started making them many years ago. I used to make it a lot, especially for pot lucks and I always brought home an empty casserole dish. I haven't made it in years now. There are a variety of recipes out there, and some have different toppings, such as corn flakes, bread crumbs, etc.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/funeral-potatoes-3268651

Ingredients​

8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter
One 28- to 32-ounce bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 medium onion, finely diced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar
2 cups kettle-cooked potato chips
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Directions​

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Take the potatoes out of the freezer while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients.
  2. Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, then melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in it. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to incorporate. Cook for a minute or 2 to cook out the raw flour, but do not let it color. Whisk in the milk, making sure to get out all the lumps. Add the broth and whisk again if there are still lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow it to thicken, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and stir in the Monterey Jack, sour cream and Cheddar. Add the hash brown potatoes and mix everything together. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
  3. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small pan. Put the potato chips and Parmesan in a bowl and crush the potato chips. Pour in the melted butter and toss to coat. Sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the potatoes.
  4. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking until golden brown on top and bubbling around the edges, about 15 minutes more. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

About the only fried potato I eat is fried mashed potato patties.. Egg, onion, garlic..

Don't do French fries or other deep fried slices.. Don't care for the oil and they are usually too salty for my taste..

Best is crispy fried hash browns Waffle House style...

Isn't a convection oven kind of the same thing as an air fryer? Or that they work similarly?
Same principle and generally same construction, yes. Air fryers are a bit easier to get the full “crunch” with because they’re smaller, so there’s less air to have to heat and circulate.

I’ll admit to not having fully gotten the hang of mine for air-frying, but I have one of those toaster oven-air fryer-broiler combo things and it’s great for toast and for baking small portions. I use it for that constantly.

Isn't a convection oven kind of the same thing as an air fryer? Or that they work similarly?
very similar! you can use many convection ovens as an air fryer, but you can't use an air fryer as a convection oven.

I think...

Maybe goes here.
Home-made deep frier:
1 heavy stainless steel skillet or shallow saucepan you no longer care about.
a tightly fitting lid.
Fill with your favorite oil, bring to a boil, add taters, and fry brown. Makes KILLER onion rings and fish sticks too. Use a steel spatula.

Chili and garlic/or onion "Dressing' oil"
1/2 cup of olive oil brought to a low simmer.
Add 1/8 of a cup of onion OR garlic tops.
5 finely chopped chili and or Jalapeno peppers, I use both for color.
1 tablespoon each of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and sunflower seeds.
Mix well and simmer until the oil is a deep, reddish brown.
Strain OR not. into a pint jar and fill to the top with a light salad oil.
Shake well after cooling, brush it over wings, pizza crust, potatoes, or
anything else fried that needs a zing! Add a pinch of ginger and cinnamon for an Asian flavor!

If you do strain it, don't waste it, add some tomatoes and lettuce and have a salad, or mix it in with hamburger for Southwest tacos!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back