The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1578433542456.jpg

Purtier...:)

Jim

I like this one - kinda reminds me of a gingerbread house. It does surprise me that in areas with a lot of snowfall, they don't build the houses with deeper eaves. Not just this house, but others we've shared.
PS is it strange that I notice such things?

I like this one - kinda reminds me of a gingerbread house. It does surprise me that in areas with a lot of snowfall, they don't build the houses with deeper eaves. Not just this house, but others we've shared.
PS is it strange that I notice such things?
That is a lot of added weight with more roof to hold the snow. Steeper pitch is the way to go.

There is a line drawn in which steeper roofs compared with snow loads and wind loads to maintain the strength and rigidity of the structure.
"A-frame" houses can have much steeper roofs because they have no separate walls. Houses with walls have more usable internal space for a given footprint but must have lower roofs because the roof to wall junction is a sheer point that is affected by side loads like wind and earthquakes. A 12 in 12 pitch (45 degree) is considered a very steep roof in a contemporary structure and subject to wind and earthquake loads about three times what a 6 in 12 pitch would have. In an A-frame house a 12 in 12 pitch would be on the verge of stability while the more common 24 in 12 pitch is nearly perfect. (24 rise in 12 inches of horizontal travel).
Engineering a home is an exercise in compromise. The more varied the loads the more strength and stability play a major role.

Sentry: Now that one I really, really like. Any idea where it is? If I had to guess it would be Tennessee.

Many of the houses I post are from for sale ads, unfortunately that one wasn't so I don't know where it is.

Latest posts

Back