The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We call that a good deal if you are handy with money....
Practical application of skills and knowledge is just as important. Being physically fit and healthy helps to. Keeping my fingers crossed there...

Seriously - with my limited budget (that might be the best I could do) and with above capabilities.... and furthering my knowledge here: I could do alright with that as a homestead. I think.

Practical application of skills and knowledge is just as important. Being physically fit and healthy helps to. Keeping my fingers crossed there...

Seriously - with my limited budget (that might be the best I could do) and with above capabilities.... and furthering my knowledge here: I could do alright with that as a homestead. I think.
Lots of work.

This our hobby house we started 6 years ago.

Ben

That's actually a cool video, Ben. I also like the Library video..... especially the area with books on country living, independent lifestyles, living off grid.

Anyway, the cool thing about the place I picked is I won't need a dumpster.... no tearing down and rebuilding. I'll just need a road to get there. 🤔

Last edited:
That's actually a cool video, Ben. I also like the Library video..... especially the area with books on country living, independent lifestyles, living off the grid.

Anyway, the cool thing about the place I picked is I won't need a dumpster.... no tearing down and rebuilding. I'll just need a road to get there. 🤔
No need to dig out the basement .... by hand either.

We have drywall HVAC and siding left to go. A little bit at a time.

Ben

Just last night I was looking at gog maps. A town where I lived for a couple years long ago, in ca. To my surprise those apartments are still there, 30yrs later. Found them on street view. Did a couple of screen saves.

I was reading some of the above posts tonight and remembered a church across the street from those apts. Anyone remember Arlo Guthie? The movie Alice’s Restaurant? His friends who lived in a church?

For some reason this church reminded me of Arlo. Maybe it was the priest I used to see outside. I always wondered what living there would be like. It was a cool looking building. The San Francisco bay was 100yrs down the street, at a small 3acre park I could walk too. Incredible view of the bay, especially at night. I could see Oakland, Alameda, Hayward, Fremont, just across the bay. The view from the upper floors of that church would have been fantastic.

Someone mentioned 600sqft. My apartment there was 600sqft, $1500 a month. Second pic, bottom right, but I used to park next to the silver car under the shed. It was a new place back then with gated parking and security. Had a tiny kitchen, stack washer/dryer. The worst part… I spent 270days of that first year on the road. Worked on the east coast and in europe. I was paying a fortune for an empty apt and a place to leave my truck 9 months of the year!

Wonder how much they cost now?

San Mateo 012.jpg
San Mateo 013.jpg

Latest posts

Back