The last house I will build! (Project)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Specs in Florida are unreal! I didn't build any houses in Florida. I just got my licence because of my job. I was general manager of a door company and the owner payed me to go to class to learn the codes, get the licence, and then use the contractor licence in the company. Worked out well for both of us. You can never know to much about anything!

I know our inspector said something about something, and my Archetech 'spl' said leave it to me I'll take care of him.
This archetech had 12 kids or rather his wife did. He had 3 sons in Iraq at one time, one Navy Seal. His wife had every one of them too. She was a very sweet country type lady.

It seems quite a few of people I worked with in the FD have sold out down here and moved to the TN River area, I gravitate more twards the Sevierville area my self but have not pulled up stakes and moved yet(Grandchildren here).

Hi Gumpy, just wanted to follow this thread. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. If you have any idea's, let me know. I'm always open to suggestions!
We all are. If he lived closer, I'd be helping with the build.
We'd have a blast! I could use help sometimes.

Looks like a plan put into motion! I feel your pain on perk/building! I live east of you in TN, I am between Nashville/Knoxville north of I-40. Luckily when we built the location we chose for the house we found enough dirt to build a basement. We hit rock when we dug for the septic tank but was able to break it up to set the tank.

now when I built my barn I had to set a few posts in concrete because there was only 18" of dirt before I hit rock. So when this happened I drilled into the rock to the side of the posts and put rebar down into the rock to help it stay in place. Worked out well so far but I have plans to expand my barn another 16' along the long side (60') and I fear I will be using a lot of rebar and concrete for the 7 posts I will be putting in to support this extension.

Keep us updated, nice to see your progress!

Never heard about smudge pots. Do they burn oil?
They do but if you do straight oil it is hard to get them to light. If you mix it with diesel its not a problem. It gets rid of used oil and gives you heat. I like them because they will burn overnight on little fuel, they were made for the orange groves to keep the trees from freezing.

All that rock: just like the Missouri Ozarks where I have land, and maybe some day, a house.

All the nearby wells are around 350' deep, as well.

How many power poles did you have to have put in ?

Interesting thread.

Not sure if you can get dyed diesel around you but if you can and also get the AG exemption you pay a buck less per gallon. I pay under 2 bucks a gallon for dyed diesel.
Where he lives in TN you don't need a permit to buy the ag diesel. Whatever station has it has you sign a document that it is going to be used for off road purposes only.

Hooray!! Supposed to get to 36° today and above freezing for at least 10 days. Only rain is for Monday. I get to lay some blocks starting tomorrow. The snow should be melted by then too. We received another 1" of snow again yesterday morning. That's 7" total in less than a week with below 0 wind chills!

Weeellllll, laid blocks for about 6 hours today before my knee and back started cramping. Finished the bottom run on the front and most of the next run. It will go fast now cause I'm off the boulder and everything is level. Very very muddy out there. You have 10lb boots(no exaggeration) all day. That black soil is sticky.
I was to tired to take a picture tonight, but I will tomorrow when I quit.
Y'all have a great evening! I'm laying down with a heating pad, lol!

It seems like it's been so long since you were able to get out there and get started. Bet right about now you'd like to go back in time and leave the sore muscles behind.

Thinking about the size of your house you got quite a bit laid today.

Last edited:
It seems like it's been so long since you were able to get out there and get started. Bet right about now you'd like to go back in time and leave the sore muscles behind.

Thinking about the size of your house you got quite a bit laid today.
Not as much as I'd like. The rock our house is built on is not flat. The first run on the front took 4hrs. The next run took 45 minutes. I should finish the front tomorrow. I'm glad the corners have already been done.

Glad this thread got bumped up - I'm enjoying reading about your journey!
Hubby and I will be working on our last home, too, except we're total rookies. eek!
Y'all have quite an experience awaiting you. Do you know someone with experience that you can get tips from?

I'm going to argue with you about how much you got done, one man, by himself dealing with the geo issues and the mud really did get quite a bit done. We laid the block for our house in GA, I know first hand what it takes to do it and I was 20 years younger then. From mixing the cement, to carrying all of those blocks, to getting them placed just so and we didn't have to deal with challenges like immovable objects.

BTW, are you up and moving or standing in a hot shower trying to loosen up those muscles?

Weeellllll, laid blocks for about 6 hours today before my knee and back started cramping. Finished the bottom run on the front and most of the next run. It will go fast now cause I'm off the boulder and everything is level. Very very muddy out there. You have 10lb boots(no exaggeration) all day. That black soil is sticky.
I was to tired to take a picture tonight, but I will tomorrow when I quit.
Y'all have a great evening! I'm laying down with a heating pad, lol!

Whats chance getting some pics of thebproject?

Jim

I'm going to argue with you about how much you got done, one man, by himself dealing with the geo issues and the mud really did get quite a bit done. We laid the block for our house in GA, I know first hand what it takes to do it and I was 20 years younger then. From mixing the cement, to carrying all of those blocks, to getting them placed just so and we didn't have to deal with challenges like immovable objects.

BTW, are you up and moving or standing in a hot shower trying to loosen up those muscles?
Up and around! Got up at 0700, wife and I had our morning prayer time and devotion, ate breakfast and was laying blocks at 0830. Finished the front wall and moved all the blocks left to the ends and back. The back run will be only 3 runs high and both ends go from 3 runs to 6 runs.

Whats chance getting some pics of thebproject?
My wife took some pictures and sent them to me. As soon as they have finished downloading I'll post them. I'm out of high speed data so it'll take a while. Ha!

Jim

IMG_20180120_133856.jpg
IMG_20180120_135550.jpg
IMG_20180120_125417.jpg

Front wall complete. The back walls will be half as many runs. There's 24" of fall back to front.

I've poured a lot of concrete over the years, actually had a job form setting in the
Denver, Colorado area, one of the hardest jobs I've every done, I lost 15 pounds the first month. I've hand poured all our own footings and stem walls. I never laid any concrete blocks,
DSC00010.JPG
looked too hard for me, so anyway, I feel for you, especially slopping around in mud while doing it. The concrete wall shown is one I poured for a semi-earth berm home I designed but ended up building a stick built home instead, earth berm homes are a great idea, it's just that making sure they are water tight gets really expensive. The turkeys are local tribe of around 23 that come to our place when they see me out and about, they love the hen scratch. This stem wall is not a total waste, I may build a shed for vehicle parking and repair, it's 10' high and 50' wide, yeah another project at 75 years, really?

Attachments

• DSC00002 (2)_LI.jpg
    DSC00002 (2)_LI.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
I've poured a lot of concrete in my day also. Decided that I wasn't up to it. Laying blocks is a lot cheaper and less labor intensive. This boulder I'm building this house on top of is to irregular to form easily.

Latest posts

Back