The little things you may need one day that may not be available at any price, do you have them, can you get them?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a good set of tire bars I can change just about any size tire. Those HF tire changers can't do that. The bars will probably cost more.
The HF bead breaker is pretty handy however...totally badly designed junk...but it does work.

The ability to mount your own tires I view as a big deal. It took me a LONG time to learn how to use tire irons properly. Its one of those things that seems impossible until you figure out the right way to do it and then its almost magical.

Last edited:
Gardening and building tools and supplies,

Gardening would include normal tools and seeds and books.

Building supplies, especially the stuff you need to make repairs after a disaster, things to seal up broken windows and roofs, plus an assortment of hand tools, hammers, saws, screwdrivers, and if you can find it - a hand operated drill. You would also need to plan for nails and fasteners up to 3" long.... I don't know if you would need the longer "spikes", but having a few couldn't hurt....
This is exactly what I've been telling our friends, I've come to the conclusion that Torx type screws are the best, I've never broke a Torx driver and never broke a screw of that type, can't say that for Phillips or square drive. I'd like to also get a solid hand drill, I already have some good quality Torx screw drivers. I got a hold of three heavy duty "P" trap long tube drain pipes for the bathroom sink along with nylon seals. This is a great thread because there are so many items that truly need a back up part for after the SHTF when things will become un-attainable, a while back my waked me if we had extra 2"X4"s or 1/2" plywood, that caught me with my pants down, should have gotten some while they were much less costly. One good thing we just did, replaced all of our solar batteries, the old ones were 9 years old and were showing signs of distress, while we were at it I added a sixth bank for a total of 1060 amp hours, the charge system seems to like that, the batteries are not boiling off as quickly as in the past.

Here's another little something I would be willing to bet most of you don't have a way to handle. I did three tires today by hand.

Changing tires on the rims.

You need a couple tire bars, one of each type and a bead breaker minimum. A bubble balancer wouldn't hurt any either along with an assortment of weights. I made my bead breaker out of scrap steel I had laying around a few years ago also some valve stems and patches. Tubes might not be a bad idea either.
Harbor freight is your friend for cheap tire changing supplies. I just picked up one of their tanks with a big outlet and valve for seating beads.

OK, I got one for ya's: 'Gummed' Reinforced Kraft Tape - for Anything you might ever / already Do 'store' in Cartons - Invaluable for repairs / extensions / custom-sizes, etc..
ie: www.amazon.com/Reinforced-Activated-Packing-Sealing-Reinforcement/dp/B07XZJ1QW5 👍

..Also excellent for:

- 'DIY' fireworks shells / IED-cores (charge-sealing) / Cannon-charge cores, etc..
- Food-box 'repairs' / resealing (ie: corn-meal, etc) if Not destined for 'LTS' (ie: mylared) but wanting to seal a box Better than 'packing tape' can, etc..
- Other ideas I can't think of right now, but I am Certain exist.. :p

Nothing 'revolutionary', but.. Really, 'cheap insurance' for tasks that - when this Tape is The Ideal Tool - there's really No Equal. :cool:

jd

Anyone use a Adjustable suction cup seam setter, what brand & where you buy it?

Up until this idiot in charge took office I never worried about NCB war. But since then I have started worrying about N a lot more so I ordered bottles of the Potassium Iodide tablets awhile back they finally showed up today. I so hope they rot without ever being needed. One good thing they have a ten year shelf life. Amazon has them but it took a month or two for them to get here.

That beats the pants off ether or carb cleaner or gas to do the same job! Good on you!
Ether, aka starting-fluid. (Yes, we had the proper tank with the blast-valve.)
I've only done this about a hundred times:rolleyes:. Worked every time! :thumbs:
Like Darth Vader said: "All too easy..."

I got some Civil Defense manuals, dosimeters, pens, and chargers. I probably paid too much for them, but I feel better knowing that I will be able to monitor radiation levels if we should ever get nuked. For some reason, I'm thinking that threat is growing stronger by the day. Like you Biggkidd, I hope I never have to use them. If a nuke were ever to happen, they will be worth their weight in gold. Until then, they will provide me with some peace of mind.....however little that may be.

Here's another one: (again, nothing 'revolutionary', but I've Always been glad I bought / kept some - Little 'empty, crimpable Alum-tubes, w/ caps'... :cool:

A-B-Epoxy-DIYs.jpg

..Outstanding for:

- DIY 'A+B Epoxy tubes' (which, making a couple Up this weekend, is what 'reminded me' of these little helpers..) for storage / stashing in LTS-stores, etc - and for Replacing those Infernal 'twin-tube epoxy-syringes', which - even though you can 'separate the dosing' (by cutting the 'bridge' between the two plungers, etc) just ALWAYS end-up dispensing More than you need / want of One or the other, ugh.. :rolleyes: ..But with These little puppies, it's Super easy to dispense Exactly how much ya want, of each, and they Seal back-up, Much better than those 'twin-syringers's do.. :cool:

..And, Sure - I know "you can just Buy separate-tube Epoxy sets", but a) usually, those are Much Larger tubes (and by the time you 'get to the end' of 'em, the Caps are all gummed-up / shot / don't seal-well anymore, etc, and b) Usually, those are More expensive, than the 'twin-syringers', so.. I will just get those - cheaper - then 'DIY' my own small separate-tube sets, with these.. 👍

- DIY 'Toothpaste', Balms / Ointments / Tinctures, etc - Great for, ie: that DIY Plantain / Yarrow + Beeswax 'anti-itch' / poison-ivy cure-balm.. Keeps it 'fresh' Much-longer than it will keep in a jar, etc..

- DIY 'gun oil' - that 'isn't gun oil' (ie: old Mobil One, etc) tubes, for yer range-box, etc..

- DIY 'firestarter paste', for the EDC / 'BOB's, etc..

..and on and on.. Lots of uses, and when 'dey Gon - 'dey Gon.. :p

One source (just as a Ref, I am sure there are Other / lesser-quantity sources out there..) : www.amazon.com/Gdrasuya10-100pcs-Aluminum-Toothpaste-Recyclable/dp/B08R7JDMK9/

..Oh and one Other 'indispensable Tool' (that will Also likely be 'unobtanium', once the balloon goes up - And - is also The Perfect 'Companion' for DIYing with these tubes - Perfect-Crimps / Seals, everytime - the 'Hand-brake', from the siding-world (for flashing / trim-work etc), ie:

image_16381.jpg

..Invaluable-Tool - even Now.. :cool:

Fwiw..
jd

I haven't seen the little pocket matches Morgan mentions since I left the states!
Depending on where you are I guess, but some clotting bandages and skin glue? Plain bleach, bungee cords, spare handles for shovels and rachet ties. Some of those markers that write on anything, to label fuel/water/storage bottles etc. You might know what's in them but someone else may not. Animal bedding, extra tarps.

Lots of good items on all these list.
A few things I haven't saw, or just missed. Lumber of various sizes, plywood. Even some plywood cut to size to cover your windows. Rolls of plastic. Tape, staple, nails, screws, etc
Plumbing and electrical supplies, fittings, wiring, tubing. All kinds of items like that.
For growing food, seed starter supplies, potting soil, tools, seeds, fertilizer.
I'm sure there is a lot more

I have soft ball size rocks, bricks, concrete blocks, larger rocks, they do not rot, so you can let them be covered with pine straw & leaves until you need them. Wood/lumber will rot I store mine in a weather proof container.

One would have to buy an Ace Hardware store, and the Walmart next to it to be prepared enough. ..

Well.. Is there anything Truly "better" to spend one's - Soon to likely be Useless 'Greenbacks' :rolleyes: - on, than 'Actually Useful Stuff'? I, for one, would MUCH rather have a 'Fully Stocked ACE' - than $25K or even $10K in "Cash" (Yes,we Do keep Some $$ stashed, but.. Frankly, I'd rather have the 'Nuts & Bolts'. 👍

That said, I can't argue that maybe I, myself, am Nuts & Bolts. :)

jd

Lots of good items on all these list.
A few things I haven't saw, or just missed. Lumber of various sizes, plywood. Even some plywood cut to size to cover your windows. Rolls of plastic. Tape, staple, nails, screws, etc
Plumbing and electrical supplies, fittings, wiring, tubing. All kinds of items like that.
For growing food, seed starter supplies, potting soil, tools, seeds, fertilizer.
I'm sure there is a lot more
Agreed.

Re: seeds...

I include them in a larger of genetics.

Potatoes are not (but can be) grown from seed.

Fruit trees take seven years to produce fruit.

Some seeds take 2 years to produce like onions and carrots.

What seeds we grow have to produce seed with similar characteristics. Heirlooms and open germinated.

Ben

There are so many things that could be needed and could be impossible to buy after an XYZ event. One would have to buy an Ace Hardware store, and the Walmart next to it to be prepared enough. And you might want to buy the Cabela's down the street too.
My dear departed father refered to my shop as " the hardware store across the street" from his place.

:thumbs:

Ben

Well.. Is there anything Truly "better" to spend one's - Soon to likely be Useless 'Greenbacks' :rolleyes: - on, than 'Actually Useful Stuff'? I, for one, would MUCH rather have a 'Fully Stocked ACE' - than $25K or even $10K in "Cash" (Yes,we Do keep Some $$ stashed, but.. Frankly, I'd rather have the 'Nuts & Bolts'. 👍

That said, I can't argue that maybe I, myself, am Nuts & Bolts. :)

jd
Excellent point about buy now or later.

Somethings I do now and others wait for vendors to be desperate to sell.

Ben

Well.. Is there anything Truly "better" to spend one's - Soon to likely be Useless 'Greenbacks' :rolleyes:

Some look into the crystal ball and see the apocalypse. Some see rainbows and unicorns. Others see difficult times with a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm in the third group. But I totally agree with your point. I also think everyone should prep according to what they see in the crystal ball. It's a guessing game for all of us. Many of us, if not most of us, are going to guess wrong. And a wrong guess could put us into a personal apocalypse. That personal apocalypse could be lots of money but no stuff. Or it could be lots of stuff but no money. Being in the third group, I'm going for a moderate amount of stuff and a moderate amount of money, and a prayer that either one will be enough to get me through no matter which way things go.

Here's the crystal ball - I'm passing it on now - someone else gets a turn at reading it next.

@Haertig. Well put. The middle ground is a tough sell. And that is the problem with politics! The scum always rises to the top?

The older that I get, the more Armageddon types of events that I have gone through, the more I temper my reaction. Things are usually not as bad or as good as advertised. Advertising must be ever increasing its tone merely to garner attention.

Don't mistake that mindset as over confidence. I still wear safety glasses. I still change the oil. And I still survey the scene. But I don't have a dozen extra pairs of glasses and face shields. Nor a hundred gallons of motor oil. And I don't have the security system that the Pelosi family takes for granted.

Back in 04-05 I had the gut feeling things were going to start falling apart in a big way around 2020. Which everyone who has known me around the forums since then can attest to. Now we are hitting the tipping point for the next stage which I think will start around the 10th -15th of January 23. I think a lot of factors are all going to come to a head around then. Between nature and the weather and what man's done to it, food and fuel shortages plus manufacturing issues and problems with the supply system the perfect storm is fixing to hit so hang on to your hats and pray! 2008-9 was nothing more than a minor detour compared to what's around the next bend.

One thing that bothered me after moving, was the lack of ‘stuff’ to fix other stuff with.

You are in a place for years, you have boxes of ‘stuff’ and leftover parts. That wooden box with assorted nails, screws, bolts, nuts, little pieces of whatever. Those old plumbing parts you replaced, and just put the old ones in the barn in that other box of random plumbing crap. Scrap pieces of wood in the other pile, pieces of electrical projects, pieces of scrap metal in that pile. Old vehicle parts and accessories from a dozen different models and brands.… You get the picture.

Same with material to fix clothing, a window, doorlatch… There was always enough crap around to where I could find something to fix about anything, or at least to make it functional.

Go to hang the coat on the hall tree, the hook swings.. Missing about a #8, brass, pan head screw. First thought… Hit the box, there is at least something in there that will suffice to fix it with, if not 3 or 4 of the exact ones you are looking for! After moving… I have a 3” drywall screw, closest thing I can find to fit the description of a small screw.

Small leak by the chimney on the roof. No problem, hit the barn, grab a few pieces of flashing, roofing nails and the 5 gallon pail of roofing tar, head on up and fix it. After moving… I have some duct tape and a 3” drywall screw.

It takes a long time and a lot of projects to accumulate a good selection of crap. You can’t just go to the store and buy a lot of stuff and call it good.
i luv this answer...so true...we got junk and we try and find more..that could work!

Back in 04-05 I had the gut feeling things were going to start falling apart in a big way around 2020. Which everyone who has known me around the forums since then can attest to. Now we are hitting the tipping point for the next stage which I think will start around the 10th -15th of January 23.
Is there something planned for January that I've missed? That date range is pretty specific.

Is there something planned for January that I've missed? That date range is pretty specific.
Nope not one single thing that I know of. It's just what my gut has been shouting and screaming for many months. I just used dates that coincide with the middle of Jan which is when I feel everything that has been going south converges.

..I also think everyone should prep according to what they see in the crystal ball. ..

Sure, but IMO, the 'Best course' is to just 'ditch the "crystal ball" and make 'prepping' simply a Way of Life'. :cool: That way, yer 'covered', come what may (or what may Not..) ie: There is No Circumstance that I can think of, that 'having 150 lbs of Dry Pasta' is a bane-to..

..If Disaster [X] comes? Yer covered. And if it Doesn't come.. Yer covered. 👍 Even if the 'Disaster' is simply that Pasta - for Whatever Darkside-reason - shoots up to $50. a lb, well.. There will be Few Tears shed in This household over it. Au-contraré, there will be much Rejoicing (that I put that all back at $1. / lb :cool:

..Same with Water / Means to Store/Purify, Beans, Rice, Flour, Oats, Wheat-berries/Mill, means to Smoke/Preserve Meat / Freeze-Dry, Spices, etc, etc.. There simply Is No 'down side' - that I can see - to simply avoiding "scenario Prepping", and just making it a 'Way of Life'.. Like Grama & Grampa did / taught. :cool:

jd

Ever since Y2K I have been using these dire predictions as a test. I run out and buy more than normal. Every time I'm better prepared when it passes and I have found holes to fill before the next test, or TEOTWAWKI event.

I just want you all to know you’ve cost me a lot of money!!! Just kidding.

We are ordering all new appliances as ours are 10 to 11 years old and each one of them has some weird quirk which tells me the master electrical board is going.

So for example on my beautiful LG double oven push in range, I can no longer see what the temperature is as one of the numbers is blacked out. But it “sings” to me when it comes to temperature. However I talked to the electrician and he said that means it’s going.

Luckily it’s black Friday week and everything is on sale.
Picked out another fridge, a stove, and are figuring out what we’re going to do for washer dryer. Both have been giving us trouble.
And we’re looking at getting a “heat pump dryer” like they have all over Europe because then we don’t need 240W & the solar can run it. I also have an outdoor spinny dryer (but we’ve never installed it) with lines on it; however, having one indoors would be really beneficial in the winter in Wisconsin.

But we are heavy “cookers” and heavy users of appliances. Already had to replace our two deep freezers a year ago but I think they were each 12 years old. One freezer we replaced just to be careful as the other one went and we could’ve lost a lot of food if we hadn’t spotted it. We’re also going to purchase a third deep freeze.

Our dishwasher gave up the ghost about a year ago so we’ve already replace that and my husband purchased a different microwave when our first one went at seven years. But I hate that when he got!

Also I made my husband order new tires for a 2014 Traverse because who knows if we’ll be able to get them when we need them.

And, our 2003 leaf blower gave up the ghost so we purchased a Ryobi battery driven one because most of our yard tools are battery. You’re given an extra charger for free with some of the units so we just keep a whole bunch of batteries charged up. We are a Solar home so electricity is free.

Lots of $$$ flying out the door.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back