The Marriage Box

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyatt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
1657548911696.png

I love memes, I'm not sure where I found this one; more than likely it was by serendipity. It's kinda like life; They say that life happens while you're busy doing something else. Anyway, this meme got me to thinking; a dangerous thing for someone like me; but that's how it has gone lately. I'll find a meme and it starts a train of thought and then the domino's start to fall. Being as marriage is the topic of choice for the meme, I'll run with that. in my mind the word marriage in the meme is entirely interchangeable with any human or business relationship; because when you get down to brass tacks, all of life hinges upon relationships.

They say that a deck of cards sums up marriage; when you start out it's all hearts and diamonds and you end up wanting a club and a spade.

I really like the box metaphor. All you have at the start of a relationship is an empty box. In my musings it came to me that each one of us has a fire within our very soul. We stoke the fire with our life's ambitions, goals etc. When we enter into a relationship, we carry a little piece of that fire and start another smaller fire that we share with the object of our relationship, who has brought a piece of their fire to add to the new flame. I look at the box as a wood box; we carry the fuel for the relational fire to the box and store it there. When need necessitates, we pull a log out and toss it on the fire.

In healthy relationships both parties do their fair share, and the flame never goes out and there is always fuel in the box. There is always spiritual abundance.

Sometimes we delude ourselves into believing that the kindling and tending of the fire is a joint venture when in actuality; not so much. We carry armloads of love, commitment, duty, honor, respect, treasure, etc. Oh, I almost forgot; this fire moves closer and closer to the fire within our souls until one day the satellite fire and the soul fire combine. The Bible refers to this phenomenon as the two becoming one.

Sometimes as life progresses, we start to lose a little of our initial exuberance; we tire and don't forage and carry as much fuel for the fire. No worries, our relationship partner has been adding fuel to the box; haven't they? When we go to grab a log, the box is empty, and the terrible realization begins to set in that we have been diligently stoking the fire and our relationship partner was only using us to keep themselves warm. Oh yeah, throughout the relationship they would toss a few chips (buffalo chips perhaps?) into the box; but never the real logs that only come from the forest of commitment. In their minds they are owed the warmth of the fire, that somehow avoidance of responsibility for the keeping of the flame is perfectly permissible for them.

This song encapsulates the moment when the realization that all of the best years of your life have been spent in a one-sided relationship.

But wait, it gets better. Remember when I said that the fire moves? well for the one who has been full-on committed, when the time comes, and it will come, when your relationship "partner" pours water on the flame and snuffs it completely out. By now the satellite fire has moved so close to the fire within your soul that it often comes exceedingly close to snuffing out the fire in your very soul. If it snuffs it completely out, your relationship partner has succeeded in committing what I call Spiritual homicide; you are so spiritually broken that you just crawl off somewhere and die inside. More often than not, the fire is not totally extinguished; it has just been reduced to a few smoldering embers. I know from experience, that it often takes years and maybe more years and maybe more years to begin to see the flicker of a flame once again.

Please do not misunderstand, I do not shirk my own culpability for the role that I played in failed relationships; but I truly believe that I have never been a freeloader.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was about dowary payments and wondered what part of the Appalachians you lived in. at today's rates I'd be broke before I put the ring on and kissed her.

I get this post. Marriage was the worst thing that ever happened to me, to the point that I don't really see myself ever being married again. It was worse than being 100% single in every respect - mentally, physically, emotionally, financially, spiritually, and sexually. But as Wyatt said, the fire inside .never quite died and I'm back up from the ashes.

I get this post. Marriage was the worst thing that ever happened to me, to the point that I don't really see myself ever being married again. It was worse than being 100% single in every respect - mentally, physically, emotionally, financially, spiritually, and sexually. But as Wyatt said, the fire inside .never quite died and I'm back up from the ashes.
1657570712679.png

1657570681201.png

I no longer have the option and regret lost chances and just plain old loss. I've buried several I loved,
AND A COUPLE I WISH I HAD.

A wise woman told me that sometimes you have to loose it all to appreciate a little,
you have to hit bottom to bounce. I'd marry her in a New York second, but life has other
ideas. I'm starting to like free falling.

I just found this post while looking for something else. Wow! It's really a neat thing to ponder.

I am so blessed to have married my best friend. I'll admit that I often take him for granted. He is a man of high moral character, so for me, he's really easy to figure out. He'll always err on the side of giving someone a chance. He sees the good in people even when I don't. I don't know anyone who doesn't like him. Ha, I wish I could say the same about me. After reading the OP, I'm going to have to think about doing something special for him today. 🤔

I thought this thread was about dowary payments and wondered what part of the Appalachians you lived in. at today's rates I'd be broke before I put the ring on and kissed her.
That was exactly the same thing I was thinking, except I was thinking India

That was me the first time around. :(
It took me 10 years to find the right one.... and I was not about to let her get away. Even tossed her $1,000 in 'lawyer-money' to ditch the POS that had abandoned her:mad:.
We have been happily married for 33 years:D.

That was me the first time around. :(
It took me 10 years to find the right one.... and I was not about to let her get away. Even tossed her $1,000 in 'lawyer-money' to ditch the POS that had abandoned her:mad:.
We have been happily married for 33 years:D.
Pretty well the same with me. 1st marriage lasted 3 years, which was at least 5 years too long. I should have had my ass kicked for ever getting tangled up with her. She had damned near bankrupted me and took almost 2 years to get straightened out.
Current wife and I were friends for a couple years before we even started dating. Still together 39years later. I think we are gonna make it.

. 1st marriage lasted 3 years, which was at least 5 years too long. I should have had my ass kicked for ever getting tangled up with her. She had damned near bankrupted me and took almost 2 years to get straightened out.
Ditto.
All I did for 1.5 years, was work, eat, sleep, and pay off bank loans :mad:.
Bad lesson learned the hard way:(.
Our last name meant 'carte-blanche' at the banks in town, and 'wives' used it.
My older brother went in to make the last payment on a 'personal loan' he had, only to discover that he still owed $8,000 on it because the wife had been making weekly trips there behind his back.
She quickly became his "ex-wife".:oops:

Last edited:
That's harsh. Mine got into gambling, writing bad checks, etc. Glad to have washed my hands of that POS. I was glad when I caught her screwing around. Finally had a perfect case to kick her to the curb.
Harsh?
For many of us guys, this was 'The Marriage Box' :
10d_378-017.jpg

(yea, that is a wee bit too harsh :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
I have had some rough times, wife spends more than she make sometimes.
She has bad moods, as do I, but we raised two great kids & we still get alone most of the time.
I stopped the money flow after she said that my money too, because my names on the account.
We have had different accounts for 38 years & it made me a lot happier.
She just a person who likes to spent money, so I am over all the saving & she spends what her budget aloud her to.
She a church goer, so her vices are small & I am not perfect myself.
But some of these stories makes me feel lucky as Heck!

I'm a single white male who still has testosterone in my veins.
You know I'm a POS!
You just need to get older and embrace 'manapause' :huggs: .
I have had some rough times, wife spends more than she make sometimes.
She has bad moods, as do I, but we raised two great kids & we still get alone most of the time.
I stopped the money flow after she said that my money too, because my names on the account.
She just a person who likes to spent money, so I am over all the saving & she spends what her budget aloud her to.
She a church goer, so her vices are small & I am not perfect myself.
But some of these stories makes me feel lucky as Heck!
We have also, from day one:thumbs:. My first marriage taught me that.
Also, reading that 9 out of 10 marital disputes are over money.
We have always split monthly expenses.
If one of us spends too much money, it is obvious who it was, and no fighting happens.
Financial bliss:D.

We spilt monthly expenses also.
You just need to get older and embrace 'manapause' :huggs: .

We have also, from day one:thumbs:. My first marriage taught me that.
Also, reading that 9 out of 10 marital disputes are over money.
We have always split monthly expenses.
If one of us spends too much money, it is obvious who it was, and no fighting happens.
Financial bliss:D.

If she is pre-menopause, that might change after she hits menopause. Many women lose their moodiness along with their periods. Hormones are no joke. Just hope she gets stuck in the 'good' mood.;)

My grandparents did this and it worked well for them. My parents combined their money as did hubby and I. Thankfully we are both savers and frugal. We don't need to consult each other on spending but we always do when it's a large purchase. I can only remember one financial disagreement and it wasn't really over the money.....it was about the principal of the purchase. I got my way with that one and today we are both really happy that I did as we are still enjoying that purchase. We are blessed to be on the same financial page. It also helps to have a low maintenance guy. If his beer frig is full for the weekend and he has food on the table, he is content.

it took me 3 times to get it right, current husband and me been married for 25 years

I think you just have to accept that you won't ever be married to " the perfect person" , that doesn't exists
Current husband is not perfect but neither am I

First husband was a dirtbag car salesman that cheated on me, gambled , lied and did drugs
second one I married because I thought I couldn't find anyone better
third one was an upgrade

I've never married
I dont believe had I married when i was younger than 35ish that it would have lasted.
I was all about adventure and working and I was emotionally not available.
When I tried dating later, I went through a dating spree starting in my late 30s , it seemed all I met were pissed off divorced men full of financial burdens with partial custody of young kids that took up most of their time. Or I'd date the wild, fun hot single bachlors that were about as emotionally available as I was in my 20's. Lol..fun for alittle while but shallow.
It seemed it was always a mismatched disaster in the making . I got better at sniffing out the players and no wayers but I got burned out trying to find a connection that wasnt based on superficial exteriors and fulfilling someone's emotional or physical needs constantly.
I believe my personality type plays a big role in how I just dont jive well with this aspect of the human experience.
I dont want to rule it out as something I'll not do because it would be nice to have a companion and partner I can count on and vise versa..but I dont feel I need to have a marrige or relationship to complete my human experience.
When folks tell me they are on their (pick a number) marrige..I like..how ? How does this work? It's great if it works but it really does perplex me.

Latest posts

Back