The morning after.....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which specific hour is assigned to which specific rotational position of the Earth (or however you want to describe time) is completely arbitrary. Nature doesn't care about humanities need to assign a number to how far the Earth has rotated from an agreed upon randomly picked position. You could holler out, "It's 3:00am! Time for lunch!!!" and nature wouldn't care one bit. Politicians mostly wouldn't care either, except Biden would probably go get his sandwich.
Ice cream!

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20211105/harmful-effects-of-daylight-savings
An Hour at What Cost? The Harmful Effects of Daylight Savings
By Lindsay Kalter

Nov. 5, 2021 -- Early this Sunday morning, we will gain an hour, marking more than 100 years of “falling back” -- and doctors say it is a perfect opportunity to counteract the negative health effects of daylight saving time.
When daylight saving time ends again in the spring, we’ll lose an hour. That may not sound like much, but studies have linked it to increased traffic accidents, higher rates of stroke, and a bump in heart attacks. And although many people take the extra hour this weekend to indulge in waking activities, sleep experts say using that time for sleep could make a significant difference in your health.
“Consistency in the timing of when we sleep and wake is every bit as important as the duration of the time we sleep, and there is plenty of research on the adverse effects,” says Charles Czeisler, MD, chief of the Division of Sleep and Circadian Disorders at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. “It's always good to get an hour more of sleep, as long as people take advantage of that. If they go to bed at their usual time and wake up an hour later, it will have health benefits.”
Daylight saving, which was started to conserve energy, forces our internal clocks to compete with our watches. Inside the brain’s hypothalamus is a “master” called the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), which uses hormonal and chemical signals to sync time throughout the body.
Our internal clocks regulate processes including liver function, the immune system, and our body’s physiology, which means any disruption can have significant effects.
In a 2015 study published in Sleep Medicine, researchers compared the rate of strokes during the week after daylight saving to the rate 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after. They found the rate was 8% higher the first 2 days after the shift, and people with cancer were 25% more likely to have a stroke than during other times of year. People over 65 were 20% more likely.
A 2019 report found a higher risk of heart attack after both time changes, but particularly during daylight saving.
Interruptions to circadian rhythm can also impair focus and judgment. A 2020 study found fatal traffic accidents increased by 6% in the United States during daylight saving time.
“Most people think an hour would be inconsequential,” Czeisler says. “And it's true that we can adjust. But even that small adjustment does have consequences.”
Though “falling back” gives you a chance to catch up on lost sleep, it can also be a difficult adjustment, says Ramiz Fargo, MD, medical director for the Sleep Disorders Center and a sleep medicine doctor at Loma Linda University Health.
It may also be hard for people with mood disorders, he says. One study showed that hospitals reported an 11% increase in depressive symptoms just after the fall time change. This may be a result of lost daylight, he says.
But there are ways to make the transition easier and increase your chances of taking full advantage of the extra hour. If possible, Fargo says, it is helpful to make slight adjustments to your schedule in the days leading up to the time change. This, he says, could make for a smoother transition.
“Start going to bed 15-20 minutes early in the days beforehand,” he says. “That will help your body get used to the difference.”
Other tips include:
  • Avoid alcohol and caffeine -- both common causes of poor sleep.
  • Avoid too much screen time before bed.
  • Limit daytime naps to regulate your sleep schedule.
  • Avoid heavy meals within a couple hours of bedtime.
“The key is, if your schedule permits you to do so, go to bed when the clock says it's an hour earlier, Czeisler says. “If you've been burning the candle at both ends and you're chronically sleep-deprived, which most people are, this weekend is your chance to work on it.”

saturday night kinda sucked, but that happens with many nights now and then regardless of the time change.

Don't care for it, would be glad to stop it one way or another, but sunday night was a good night, and tonight feels like it will be ok.

I know it drives the community/feral cats nuts, they don't know when breakfast/dinner is coming for about a week.

I personally don’t care I just wish they would just leave it like it is and stop s###wing with my sleep, my wife says it makes me an I’ll a-hole. Lol
Just breathing makes me an A=hole

Just breathing makes me an A=hole
Ditto. And from someone that can find something good in absolutely anything...
DST= I get to open my first beer an hour earlier! drink buddy:woo hoo:

The whole time change is backwards, and shows that people let clocks control way to much of their lives. having more light in the evening in winter would be a lot more useful.
Ignoring the number indicator would be even more useful.

My GF is a flight attendant. She was in Boston Saturday night and had to report at 3am Sunday which would mean she needed to wake up at 2am. But at 2am the clocks automatically jump to 3am. So eventually she figured out she had to wake up at 1am to be ready for 2am which would actually be 3am.

OK, seems like a simple process that is only a major problem once a year (in the fall you just get somewhere an hour early which is better than being late) but think of all the people this effects. Obviously I mentioned flight attendants, and the same for the pilots, and all the passengers who goofed and booked a flight right after the spring forward fiasco. This would also apply to travel on trains and busses, and I am sure there are many other occupations and situations where a time schedule is very important.

The entire scam just needs to go away.

My GF is a flight attendant. She was in Boston Saturday night and had to report at 3am Sunday which would mean she needed to wake up at 2am. But at 2am the clocks automatically jump to 3am. So eventually she figured out she had to wake up at 1am to be ready for 2am which would actually be 3am.

OK, seems like a simple process that is only a major problem once a year (in the fall you just get somewhere an hour early which is better than being late) but think of all the people this effects. Obviously I mentioned flight attendants, and the same for the pilots, and all the passengers who goofed and booked a flight right after the spring forward fiasco. This would also apply to travel on trains and busses, and I am sure there are many other occupations and situations where a time schedule is very important.

The entire scam just needs to go away.
I wrote an application that monitored the storage conditions if blood and tissues. A feature allowed a backup be run at a specified time everyday. Figuring when the due time was should have been a matter of adding a days worth of seconds to the current time. But not with DST.

One day a year has 23 hours and another day has 25 hours. Just checking what the date was to see if it was a special a day couldn't work because the govt can change the day! And if the customer wanted the backup to run at 2:00AM the backup would not happen one day a year and would happen twice on the other day.

I will spare the solution...

"Those that seek to change times and ways.."

Google it. It ain't good.

Ben

PLEASE LEAVE DST IN PLACE FOREVER!!!
Sorry, not gonna happen, been programmed into too many things gaah.
You think people in England or Australia are going to stop driving on the left side of the road?
Same thing.

I'm just glad I didn't have to work night shift during the switch. Work 13 hours get paid for 12. Raw deal for sure. But on the flip side if you work nights the other way, you work 11 hours and get paid for 12 so I guess it evens out eventually.

I'm just glad I didn't have to work night shift during the switch. Work 13 hours get paid for 12. Raw deal for sure.
I have a friend who's an ER doc out in Las Vegas. For the group he worked with - the docs were contracted out from that group by hospitals - they were paid by the patient/procedure. Slow night, nobody comes into the ER, he didn't get paid anything. Even though he was there for the whole shift. That sucked. He moved on from that group quite rapidly and now works somewhere else with a more sane method of payment for docs.

I was reading this thread and wondered… Who thought up this carp? Turns out Ben Franklin wrote a tongue and check...

Here, swiped this from the most unreliable source on the net…

Benjamin Franklin proposed a form of daylight time in 1784. Writing as an anonymous "subscriber", his tongue-in-cheek essay, "An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light", written to the editor of The Journal of Paris, observed that Parisians could save on candles by getting out of bed earlier in the morning, making use of the natural morning light instead. By his calculations, the total savings by the citizens of Paris would be the approximate equivalent of $200 million today.

I'm pretty sure Parisians can buy their own candles now. Let's give this thing the boot! Hysterical! 😁

The next question is who thought it was a good idea? Evidently a lot of people. Here are the other countries saddled with this or have been in the past.

My first question would be... Why did they observe Daylight savings time on Antarctica? They only have one night and one day!

Daylight savtime.jpg

Last edited:
The most intelligent idea would/should have been to have schools and businesses open an hour earlier so there is more daylight time after work and school. But, NOPE, no one wants to go to work and school at 7am. Soooo, turn the clocks forward an hour and make 8am arrive at 7am and people suddenly like that idea.

People are that stupid. Society is doomed.

I have a friend who's an ER doc out in Las Vegas. For the group he worked with - the docs were contracted out from that group by hospitals - they were paid by the patient/procedure. Slow night, nobody comes into the ER, he didn't get paid anything. Even though he was there for the whole shift. That sucked. He moved on from that group quite rapidly and now works somewhere else with a more sane method of payment for docs.
Yeah that’s by RVU
What’s terrible is you’re incentivized for procedures so with that model, patients get unnecessary procedures.
Thankfully we don’t have that where I am. We have targets with the amounts of encounters we should be at, but our salary isn’t tied to that by any means (and we are always over anyway).

Back