The perfect outdoor fire starter?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been a number of you tube videos about homemade fire starters lately...

This one about homemade alcohol gel equivalent was interesting.. I would definitely try making this next summer..

One time at the local thrift store I bought 2, one gallon bottles of hand sanitizer for $2 each..
Yes.. It does work well for a fire starter.. Just be sure to get 70% or better alcohol product..

One time at the local thrift store I bought 2, one gallon bottles of hand sanitizer for $2 each..
Nice price!
Long story short but basically got a barn find. An old farmer was getting ready to sell his farm so a couple of us went to look at his equipment before the auction. In the back of one of equipment sheds was pallets of hand sanitizer and around 20, 55 gallon drums of alcohol. We inquired about it and he said we could have it. :) A couple dump truck loads so the 2 of us split it. I ended up with over 500 gallons of alcohol and 400 gallons of hand sanitizer.

That lighter looks huge in the pictures on their website.

My take on survival stuff is "simpler is better". Heading into the unknown, I'd prefer a ferrocerium rod and a BIC lighter (practice is required to use the rod successfully). The BIC for starting fires under good conditions, the rod for adverse conditions (like after getting swept down a river with your firestarting gear in your pocket). That fancy lighter - an over-sized rechargeable electric thing for survival use? I don't think so.

That lighter would be a fun toy to have at home. But I don't see any practical advantage over a 79¢ BIC lighter. I'd put that fancy lighter in the same "must have" class as an electric nose hair trimmer or a pair of scissors with built-in laser aiming (yes, they actually make both of these things).

When I would clean out the big 5' diameter fire pit and prepare to refill it.. It had a sandy soft bottom.. The first thing I put in was about a half pint of diesel fuel in a 1 quart zip lock bag.. Cover with a couple hands full of old hay and card board.. They layer other stuff on top.. When lighting off the pit I made a hole to the bottom to pour a little diesel into.. When the baggie in the bottom went off the pit was good to go..

It was a story too old for the internet about engineers and scientists competing to see how fast they can get a barbeque ready.

"
remember when this came out. Stepfather was an engineer and those guys brains are wired differently. 3 gallons of liquid oxygen, 60 lbs of charcoal,burning cigarette as an ignition source = charcoals ready to cook on in 3 seconds
"

:thumbs:

https://www.reddit.com/posts/2019/october-30-1/
"

Ben

I don't understand the inner tube how it starts fires
You light it, it burns slow and hot. I use chunks of fire log myself, in the spring you can get them cheap! the best one I ever had was cotton rope soaked in canning wax and a bit of sugar or borax. Just cut a few inches at a time.

In all of my kits I keep a Ranger Lighter. Duck tape a Bic lighter and 3-6" of paracord to a chapstick. I cut two Q-Tips in half and push them down into the chapstick at 12-3-6-9. The chapstick acts like wax and burns. The Q-Tips are like candles. Rub the tips into the chapstick. If need be you can burn the duck tape and the paracord.

Go to about the 2:35 mark:

The best thing I have used to get fires started out in the woods, even when it's raining is pitch from evergreen trees. When trees get attacked by bugs they exude pitch, sometimes in copious amounts up and down the trunks of the tree. All I've had to do to get a fire stared was find dry twigs or shave dry branches with a knife, a little paper, the pitch and light with matches, I've seen this work in the worst weather conditions.

we just dump some gas on whatever we want to burn
I've gotten burned more than once with this approach. Pun intended.
When using gas, I have a different approach.
Fill an empty water bottle with gas (the bottled water kind that's 12-16 oz).
Start a small fire using your favorite approach then set the water bottle on or near that fire.
When the bottle melts, the gas inside starts burning but not in an explosive way, it just starts burning.

My BIL used to fill a Styrofoam cup completely full with gas.
He then carefully sat the cup in the wood stove and lit it.
As it burned down the cup would melt and the fire would be roaring.
One morning he knocked the cup over while lighting it. There was a big whoosh and flames shot out like a dragon.
Singed his beard and eye brows almost off.
I laughed for the rest of the hunting camp.
He learned nothing because he started the fire the same way the next morning.

It's raining and dark
Your car broke down. Your phone is dead you forgot your charger
You have nothing to start a fire and everything is very wet
You are thinking
Omg !! I am going to die!!
Stay calm and start looking around
Ahhhh. An old hair brush. Pick all the hair out of it and make a loose ball
lol for things that will burn.
Clean car? Nothing?
Pocket knife and cut the seat
Pull the foam out

Any shelter close by? Tree canopy will keep you dryer than nothing
Look in the trunk. You SHOULD have a tarp and paracord stashed
Make a tent
Now you are ready to make a fire
Opps. No matches

Find firewood even if it is wet
Open the hood of the car using your tire iron find some wires and rip them out
You have insurance. Hush!!!
Use the wire to connect positive /negative on the battery
Tap the two wires together and cause a spark
Start your hair ball on fire then transfer to the foam
Pull the spare tire out of the trunk and let the air out
Place on the fire
The temp of the burning tires will dry your fire wood and allow it to burn
Keep feeding the fire

you have to have skills junk isnt always at hand (the guy has actual skill and practices, well worth looking at his other videos etc

going to do the tube thing, this is how it really works no gizmos other than a ferostick

Good video, you can cut up confers with the triangle cut, but it does not work well on hardwood like oak. Cured oak is even harder.

Back