The preps you carry everyday

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the belt and suspenders thing for several years. Up until I bought the Hank's carry belt with metal between two layers of leather. It's to thick and stiff to use with suspenders and long as it's TIGHT I can get buy without. IIRC the belt alone adds over 2 lbs..

A few years ago on a bet I weighed my belt, belt crap, pocket knife and boots. IIRC 17lbs.........

I like to have basic stuff in a backpack. With a trunk to somewhat hide it, I am okay with stuff in a backpack. With no trunk, I just feel like it is asking for the car to get broken into and the pack stolen. People have no idea what is in your pack, and it is probably worth the gamble for some of them. People I know have had cars broken into at trail parking lots. If I were going on a walk on a trail, I'd want to take my pack.

On personality quirk, I guess you would call it, is that I've never liked wearing very many clothes/'stuff'. Never tolerated more than one layer of shirts/ etc unless it was REALLY cold, like -40 and I was at work and the second I got home I would strip down to shorts and a T shirt in an 80º house. I hate wearing shoes, preferring to go barefoot inside, and outside until it snows. I could never stand wearing sweaters or hats etc, so I normally dress in a T-shirt, and in the winter, a very expensive, very high quality coat good on its own, to many degrees below zero.

This of course makes it hard to carry a lot of stuff. I dislike having full pockets. It 'bugs' me to feel stuff in my pockets, so I try to have the least amount of stuff in them as I can. Like when I get into a car, I empty my pockets into the console, and then 'reload' when I get out.

This is a challenge for me, as despite hating how a lot of stuff feels, I WANT a lot of stuff.

So I put up with some things, because I feel half blind and crippled without at least a multi-tool and a headlamp.

I carry a gun anytime I leave my house, and for that, I go with comfort above firepower, so I pocket carry a Ruger LCR with trigger guard clip.

In my vehicle however, I am rarely without at least 100lbs of gear.

I don't often carry a firearm anymore. Yeah I know. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I'm not opposed to carrying. I just dont often. Though I am never far from one.
Now THAT is a kit for a man that works in the deep-woods, I have one almost like it except mine has a short, round file included and a fire stick.
find a Leather FAL mag pouch and it all rides so comfy on your hip!

Now THAT is a kit for a man that works in the deep-woods, I have one almost like it except mine has a short, round file included and a fire stick.
find a Leather FAL mag pouch and it all rides so comfy on your hip!
That's the knife I carry on the daily. It holds a good edge and is pretty tough. But my deep woods knife has a convex grind to it. Little bit tougher than that flat ground.

headlamp, never without it. Its the only must have.
+1, and Nice to see you 'Back'.. :cool:

...I've never liked wearing very many clothes/'stuff'. ...having full pockets. ..
In my vehicle however, I am rarely without at least 100lbs of gear.
Hah! Deffo on the same page with the 'strip the second yer In the door at Home' and 'Barefoot till Dawn'.. 👍 Same here.. But, relative to 'Carry Everything vs Nothing', that minimalist-protocol certainly works well in the context of Yer 'hood', but for us 'Urbanite's... yah, if ya ain't got it On ya, it ain't gonna Help ya a block away in the car, etc..

While I could go on and List all-what comprises what makes up the - like Caribou - 13#s of 'stuff' I every-day carry (Lol..) bout the Only thing of 'value' I can add here is: +1 for Headlamps / Multiple flashlights (and an 'emergency charger', if for Nothing else than your Phone, when you're out..) +1 for Any 'multitool' (for Me, it's a 1st-Gen Leatherman 'Wave' - If I ain't nekkid, that thing is On my person.. :p ) And, a good knife / folder, besides...

I have also found carrying a small-tube of 'super-glue' with me, as well as a small, packable roll of 'Gorilla Tape', and a length of paracord has also proved to be a 'finger in the dike' at times, and - For sure - Some sort of CC pistol.. I used to also carry a Ruger LCP, but gave that to #1 Daughter, and now EDC a .45 ACP 'derringer' (the 'Double-Tap') - super low profile, Very quick to engage-with, and carrys 4 additional rounds 'in' the grip..

..Sure, it's only 'two shots Ready on-deck', but.. If I can't neutralize some 'immediate threat' within those 6 shots at-hand.. I'm prolly dead anyways, so.. 'Good enough' / Zero 'printing' is better for me - On me - than insisting on having "10 rds, Min" - and ending up with something far-more cumbersome to EDC (outside of a holster, even one 'IWB', because I carry even At Work - where something like That would invariably get 'outed', and I'd be hauled out on the carpet for it, etc..

Now, 'what's in the Van', well.. That's another thread.. :cool:

jd

I got one of these at a bargain in 9MM.
its been known to sneak into my man purse at times.
Anybody have a spare barrel in something with a bit more oomph?

Attachments

• bonded.jpg
    bonded.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back