The preps you carry everyday

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I just ordered a new pocket knife since I lost mine a few weeks ago and haven't found it. Which is what brought this thread about. It got me wondering if people have what they need on their person for day to day preps. If I had the ability I'd carry a fixed blade knife but my waist isn't that large and my belt is full so I need a good knife in my pocket. lol The last two knives I had were both auto openers which comes real handy when your hands are full and suddenly you need to cut whatever. So I ordered another, this time a Kershaw since I found out they are made in the USA.
https://www.smkw.com/kershaw-launch-6-black
On a day to day basis I carry a flashlight, a 4" adjustable wrench, multi-tool, pocket knife, 2 lighters and a 1911 with extra mag. Until it wore out I also carried my grandfathers old Zippo brand pocket tape measure. I use everything I carry on a fairly regular basis including the .45 living here on the homestead.

So do you have what you need on your person?

Depends on where my body is, depends on my carry. Most times its just a multitool and a pocket knife. I used to favor Leatherman, but Gerber has more features. I supplement that with a buck 110 and my walking stick. Maybe I'll be carrying a gun, maybe I won't. how lucky are they? IF I do its a SA 1911 or the judge. All depends on how comfy I am.

Sometimes I go full preptoid and carry a leather FAL pouch. in it is a Boker AK-47 folder, a multi tool. I think its a leatherman, a tactical light, a couple of short screwdrivers, some 550 cord, a Bic lighter, a sharpie, note paper and a crack torch. I think I might have a red crayon too. If I have it, I'm also packing my 45 and a pilot survival knife.

Then there's my infamous "fag bag" from my younger days. in it I had a 45 auto or a BHP, a K bar, three clips, condoms, antibiotics, amphetamines, lip balm, electrician's pliers, rubber gloves, a 100$ roll of 20's 4 1 oz Krugerrands 5 1/10th ounce Krugerrand coins, pain killers, band aids, a suture kit, rolling papers, and a new testament.

Kershaw's a great brand and that one you got is a nice knife. I like the blade profile a lot. Carrying an auto in New York State is a no-no unless you're a first responder or are hunting/trapping/fishing and have a license on you. Autos are legal to own, and I have several, but I can't carry them.

My EDC these days is a Bestech. Great knife! It's not an auto and not spring-assist. It has super-smooth bearings and opens lightning quick. Also, I carry a light, multitool, ham radio, cash and some other stuff. I wish I could fit the contents of my get-home bag into a pocket.

Everything goes in my purse. I could swing my purse and knock someone out.
Yeh, me too. I have a tape measure, multihead screw driver (about the only thing they are good for), needle nose pliers, a hunting knife, antihistamines and ibuprofen for hubby and usually some bits of hardware I bought but forgot about.

I carry a decent pocket knife as well.

Kershaw, a different model, pistol, Bic in a holder w/blade and punch, cash, Leatherman, meds, flashlight.

My purse would not be small, if I carried one. I’d lose it, just by setting it down and not getting back to it before someone ‘admired’ it. I carry a pocketknife and a few bucks, always. My truck on the other hand……. has an extra alarm system for all grandma’s toys. Tools fill under the seat, snap straps, rope, tie downs for whatever surprise load comes along, water bottles in the door, dried fruit and granola bars, a box or two of extra ammo, a quilted moving blanket. Often a can of wasp spray in the driver’s door, as it shoots a good distance and might get that wasp in someone’s face when I can’t reach my ‘fly swatted’ quick enough.

Everything goes in my purse. I could swing my purse and knock someone out.
I once grafted a 1/4" stainless steel plate into the bottom of a purse. not only would it turn a bullet, she could crush a head in 1 blow!

Mine has a cabled shoulder strap so it can hold very heavy things without breaking the strap. It's concealed in the leather so it's not obvious. So pretty much everything goes in there including my Smith. And of course snacks, money, bandaids, a cutter, glasses...
Sounds a bit like my belt which has a steel core sandwiched between layers of leather. Shout out to Hank's Belts for one hell of a good belt! My belt and your strap have lots of potential in their own right!

Often dress in cowboy duds so I usually carry a Maglite and Gerber Diesel multi- tool in a combined belt holster.
My Applegate / Fairbairn clip combat knife in my pocket, a bic lighter, large bandana, DeWalt wraparound impact resistant sunglasses, lip balm, a few aspirin, cell phone, cuff key. My Hanks Ranger belt is super tuff and doubles for many things,
( tourniquet, med. duty haul strap, etc. ) it and my boots ( either Cowboy or Loggers) are good defensive tools. Of course my hat , either palm or felt w/ stampede string, is basic shade, umbrella or water dipper if needed..
When I carry it's a .38 Snubbie with Xtra ammo in a concealed belly band or my Ruger 1911 with Xtra ammo open carry.
Of course this is just basics, my REAL gear is in my truck, which I'm usually in...

Last edited:
I carry my wallet, handkerchief, comb, money clip, Chapstick, car keys which includes a flashlight and whistle. I used to carry a Kershaw, which I really liked, but have since gone to a Civivi. which is a nice size knife and quasi multitool. These are all in my pockets. I have an EDC bag (man purse) that has considerably more.

Key FOB and small rechargeable Olight flashlight.
Super Tinker Swiss Army Knife this is carried on a pocket clip.
Wallet and comb. My wallet usually has around $500 in it.
A metal pill case to hold my hearing aids in case I need to remove them for some reason.
Either an S&W Airweight .38 in my right front pocket or my SIG P365XL IWB with a 15 round mag plus extra ammo.
Resonantly I stopped carrying my Zero Tolerance knife, it's just not something I feel the need to have.
I put together a small Maxpedition bag with a lot of stuff. It's too heavy to carry in a pocket so I carry it in a backpack. It's not something I EDC but I take it on car trips.

New knife cam in today. It's a little larger than I realized which is good. Downside the handle is a bit on the thin side and might prove to be a little difficult to hold with slippery nasty hands. It is nice and sharp and appears as well made as my old hunting lock blade knife made by Kershaw that I've had for over 30 years.

I just ordered a new pocket knife since I lost mine a few weeks ago and haven't found it. Which is what brought this thread about. It got me wondering if people have what they need on their person for day to day preps. If I had the ability I'd carry a fixed blade knife but my waist isn't that large and my belt is full so I need a good knife in my pocket. lol The last two knives I had were both auto openers which comes real handy when your hands are full and suddenly you need to cut whatever. So I ordered another, this time a Kershaw since I found out they are made in the USA.
https://www.smkw.com/kershaw-launch-6-black
On a day to day basis I carry a flashlight, a 4" adjustable wrench, multi-tool, pocket knife, 2 lighters and a 1911 with extra mag. Until it wore out I also carried my grandfathers old Zippo brand pocket tape measure. I use everything I carry on a fairly regular basis including the .45 living here on the homestead.

So do you have what you need on your person?
I am wondering how you carry all of these things? In a backpack or some sort of bag? I think a backpack is almost ideal, but they can also signal that you have something of value, worth taking.
I keep things in my car, because I am close to my car most of the day. They are not all of this nature, but things that I use and need.
Small first aid kit
Swiss Army knife
flashlight
gallon jugs of water

Many more that I'll add later.

I am wondering how you carry all of these things? In a backpack or some sort of bag? I think a backpack is almost ideal, but they can also signal that you have something of value, worth taking.
I keep things in my car, because I am close to my car most of the day. They are not all of this nature, but things that I use and need.
Small first aid kit
Swiss Army knife
flashlight
gallon jugs of water

That is pretty much me as well.

The only time I don't have my swiss champ army knife with me is when I don't have my pants on. Also if I have to go through security ( which makes me feel naked). I am on my 3rd or 4th Army knife and have 2 more in my cache. I earned a great rep when I attended a party and the toilet in the women's had a problem. Fixed with the swiss army knife.

I am rarely far from my Jeep Liberty with the back serving as a mobile work shop and an assortment of Dewalt 20V tools.

Ben

Small first aid kit
Swiss Army knife
flashlight
gallon jugs of water

On my belt.

On my belt.
There's the rub.

Haven't worn a belt in 15 years and had to borrow one for that event. Suspenders work for me.

My boss once asked me why I wear suspenders. I told him...

When you are shaped like like a pear and carry a swiss army knife you either wear suspenders or walk around with your hands in your pockets holding your pants up.

Ben

There's the rub.

Haven't worn a belt in 15 years and had to borrow one for that event. Suspenders work for me.

When you are shaped like like a pear and carry a swiss army knife you either wear suspenders or walk around with your hands in your pockets holding your pants up.

Ben
You been drinking that " no ass atall" again?

There's the rub.

Ben
I wear both most of the time.
I wear suspenders to hold up my pants and a belt to hold my gun.
I have started carrying a small back pack to hold all my stuff.
I usually leave it in the car or truck if I'm just running going in some place foe a few minutes.
Longer stops I carry it with me.
My gun is NEVER in the pack.

I don't often carry a firearm anymore. Yeah I know. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I'm not opposed to carrying. I just dont often. Though I am never far from one.

Attachments

• 20220907_170248.jpg
    20220907_170248.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back