Things Learned Growing Up

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlas1too

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm nearly 70 years old now and time is getting short so joining preppers forums helps me pass on things I learned growing up when there was more dirt roads than paved ones .when if you didn't bring home something to eat then you didn’t eat.so if I start to ramble on about something please excuse me.I have been living the prepper lifestyle all my life as taught by my mom and granny.so if someone needs to know something and I know something they are seeking then I will try to help.I know a lot but not everything so bear with me.I simply love it here in this forum

I hope you do. Even with all the knowledge here there are things we can learn from those that lived it.

canning jelly when I was young we used wax to seal the jelly in the jars and when we opened a jar moma always washed the wax and put the pieces in a bucket to melt next year when we made jelly again and we did all our canning on a wood burning stove and I still have my granny’s stove and use it to can sometimes just to keep remembering the old ways-with a wood stove you always have something to cook with

I guess most things , come to pass,

But, one thing I remember , as a boy , 9-10 years old, was ,
helping my grampa catch them young boy hogs (boars, or guilts) :dunno:, and watching him with a razor sharp pocket knife, make them "its"..

Can't remember what we called them...choates???:dunno:

It was a mess though.

Guess they don't do it that way anymore....just a memory.

Jim

I guess most things , come to pass,

But, one thing I remember , as a boy , 9-10 years old, was ,
helping my grampa catch them young boy hogs (boars, or guilts) :dunno:, and watching him with a razor sharp pocket knife, make them "its"..

Can't remember what we called them...choates???:dunno:

It was a mess though.

Guess they don't do it that way anymore....just a memory.

Jim
Yes we do. I nut pigs with a razor and a spray bottle of iodine. Not much mess though.

canning jelly when I was young we used wax to seal the jelly in the jars and when we opened a jar moma always washed the wax and put the pieces in a bucket to melt next year when we made jelly again and we did all our canning on a wood burning stove and I still have my granny’s stove and use it to can sometimes just to keep remembering the old ways-with a wood stove you always have something to cook with
I remember helping my mom with the waxing. I love old cook stoves! If you can i would love to see a picture of it.

Guilt is a un breed female. Barrow is a nutted male. Boar intact male. Sow is a female that has been breed once. Shoat is a young pig. That one isn't used here much.

Shoat is any young pig usually one just weaned. Once breed it is a sow till she is sausage.

I also learned how to stick a stick down in a Crawdaddy hole and he would grab the stick and you could pull him out..

If I caught enough big ones , around the pond, mama would cook em.:)

Jim

What memories,
My grampa was my HERO..I still miss him...after25 years him being gone.
Hardest working man I have ever known.

Jim

Colour me envious, never knew my biological grandfather,s. One died when Mom was a little girl, dad’s died when I was an infant. Step grandfather was a mean nasty man, probably because of head injuries in WW2 and lots of alcohol.

Latest posts

Back