Things that used to be Free

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magpie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So this was an article I came across today- was just wondering if there are other things in the States you'd care to add?

10 Things that used to be free...

1. Parking: Earlier this summer Pricewatch found itself in the Portuguese town of Lagos, and apart from having its head repeatedly turned by the 80 cent coffees and 60 cent pastries – not to mention the bottles of Vino Verde for €3 – we were endlessly struck by how much free parking there was. It was all over the place. There was a time when free on-street parking was pretty common in Irish towns and cities too. That all changed when the clampers first appeared in Dublin in the late 1990s, before quickly spreading to other urban centres. Hundreds of millions of euro have been spent on parking by Irish motorists since those halcyon days. About 1,000 cars are clamped each week in Dublin, with the council raking in more than €3 million each year in declamping fees. It makes almost 10 times that in parking fees.

2 Television: Television in Ireland was never entirely free – the licence has been a feature of our world since 1962, and of course the actual boxes were pretty expensive back in the day. But apart from those two costs, the actual content used to be free and all you had to do was plug the cable into the wall socket and settle back to watch as many as six channels for up to 18 hours a day – or one channel for seven hours a day if you lived beyond the Pale and it was the 1970s. There are still ways to get your TV for free (we’re looking at you Saorview), but some of the other ways are less than legal and many are not entirely reliable. That means that most people end up giving money to the likes of Virgin, Sky and eir, not to mention Netflix, Disney, Amazon, NowTV and Apple. It all adds up to hundreds of euro each year. The telly is a lot better nowadays, mind you, and you never have to watch the test card.

[ Pricewatch: 25 potentially money-saving tips for the winter months ahead ]

3. Baggage: The cost of bringing bags with you on holidays can be absolutely horrendous and can handily add as much as €300 to the cost of return flights for a family of four. It won’t come as a shock to many to learn that Ryanair were pioneers in the baggage-charging space after introducing a charge of €2.50 for checked-in bags in 2006. Then the floodgates opened, and many other airlines followed suit. The upshot is that we have all started packing with a ruthlessness that past generations would have marvelled at. Mind you, those past generations almost certainly could not have afforded flight fares, so they’d also have been marvelling at the frequency with which many Irish people head off to the airport.

Baggage Hall in recent years at Dublin Airport: 'We have all started packing with a ruthlessness that past generations would have marvelled at.'

4 Air: Nearly 20 years ago, Pricewatch highlighted the practice of one petrol station chain that had started charging people for air for their tyres. It seemed ludicrous to charge for something so – well, free – but it caught on, and the forecourts that still give away free air are the exception. Having to pay up to a euro for a go at the pump is not uncommon. Is it any wonder so many Irish cars have too little air in their tyres, something that has a direct impact on road safety, not to mention the fact that it reduces a car’s fuel economy by 20 per cent?

READ MORE

Ten things that used to be free but now cost money

Ten things that used to be free but now cost money

‘A pub is now charging €9.50 for a glass of wine. Why would you want to go out?’

‘A pub is now charging €9.50 for a glass of wine. Why would you want to go out?’

5 Bins: In the 1990s, Irish households could happily throw out whatever they wanted at no direct cost to themselves – although the same can’t be said for the environment, which paid a terrible price for our rubbish attitudes. Bin charges were introduced to some considerably dismay – and not a little protest. The charges have climbed substantially in recent times, and there won’t be many households that will have much change out of €250 when the annual cost of refuse is taken care of. On the plus side we can recycle a lot more than we used to, with a lot more ease – and charging for refuse makes people better at reducing the amount of rubbish they produce.

6 Plastic bags: We are not often delighted by a charge being brought in, but the plastic bag charge introduced in 2002 made a huge amount of sense and prompted a lot of copycat schemes in other parts of the world. The 22 cent charge led to dramatic reductions in the number of bags blighting our landscape. In the year before the levy was rolled out, plastic bags made up as much as 5 per cent of the litter in Ireland, compared to less than 0.3 per cent now. We can’t help but notice that some retailers – Dunnes, Tesco and Marks & Spencer for instance – have dispensed with flimsy single-use plastic bags entirely so that they can charge people substantially higher prices for so-called bags for life and avoid having to pay more money to the State, while claiming they have adopted this approach for environmental reasons.

7 A dash: A sound publican will give you a splash of blackcurrant or orange or lime in a pint glass of water for nothing. But then there are bars that charge fairly eye-watering sums for same. A reader we featured on this page last week was charged €4.25 for what he said was a small jug of water with a dash of blackcurrant in it. While many pubs have paid fortunes for licences and are understandably not very keen on having people sitting around with free drinks in front of them, it seems excessive to charge someone so much for so little. A one-litre bottle of a well-known brand of cordial costs about €2.50. If you can get 20 jugs of cordial out of that one-litre bottle, and charge €4.25 each for them, your original investment of €2.50 brings in €85 which equates to a mark-up of 3,300 per cent – which is not too shabby.

8 Plane food: Pricewatch used to give out about airline food despite the fact that it was free and served to us in a metal tube travelling at speeds of over 500km, more than 20km above Earth, making it by most measures an astounding human achievement. Now that such free food and drink have been taken from us, it is right that we mourn their passing. An unappetising sandwich on an plane will cost more than €5, while a bag of crisps is usually about €1.50.

9 Banking: It used to cost us money, then it was free, and now it costs us money again. If you are the model of fiscal responsibility, just carrying out your everyday transactions will cost you as much as €25 a quarter, or €100 a year. If you are like the rest of us and occasionally have to exceed your agreed overdraft limits, simple banking will cost you in excess of €200 a year – without factoring in Government stamp duties or the tax on our plastic cards. And heaven forbid that you might want to lodge a cheque or buy a cashier’s cheque or something like that. And whatever about banking, paying bills costs money too now. Many companies don’t want to send us physical bills, and charge us if we want them. A person who does not sign up for direct debits or e-billing for all their utilities will pay hundreds of euro more a year than someone who does exactly what they are told by their providers.

10 Driving on roads: In the cheap old days our roads were almost uniformly terrible, but at least they were free. Now most major routes around the country cost us money each time we use them, with a typical toll running to more than €2. That means if you use one of the better roads just once a week it will end up costing you more than €100 a year.

We didn't have to pay to use them, but most of these cost money at one point, except air. They cost someone something to provide them. The providers are just putting it on the consumer now. We pay 10 cents per plastic shopping bag now, but can bring our own reusable bag or not use a bag.
Where I live, trash pickup was no fee until this past January. Recycling has been free for a number of years. Composting bins were $100 a year.

Now we pay for our trash bin, per month, and it depends upon the size of our trash bin. We get free recycling and free compost bins, but pay for trash. I totally get the purpose of charging for trash and making recycling and compost free. It makes people more aware and willing to participate in those two services, and less likely to throw everything into the trash bin.
If this is not true where you live, or in most municipalities, I'm betting it is coming to you at some time in the future, rolling bins.

For several decades, we had big metal dumpsters in our alleys. People who lived outside of our area would drive in and dump their trash in our city dumpsters. The rolling bins was a step to getting rid of illegal dumping. People hated the rolling bins when we first got them and we had discussion threads called Trash Bin Chronicles. One thing about the metal dumpsters was that people would open them, toss in their trash, and then not close the lids, making it easy for squirrels and raccoons to get in.

Looks like I have ranted long enough!

I've never lived where garbage pick up was free. Though I don't pay for it now, as I live within a mile of the dump and I guess as a way to try to be decent neighbors to folks close by the dump everyone who lives in the township can take in household refuse for free once a week.
I hate that pumping up a tire at a gas station is such a problem nowadays. Used to be free, and a decent compressor that actually worked. Now it's those stupid pay first, not enough pressure automatic things. Five bucks later and the tire is still at 25 psi. Now I just carry one of those cigarette lighter powered compressors. It's enough to get me home if needed.
As I get older and grumpier when stuff gets over-expensive or simply stupid I try to find ways around it. Quit using it, don't buy it, do without, use a substitute, whatever. I'm still stuck when it comes to buying gas or insurance or building materials, but have found I can do without a lot of other things.

We don't pay for plastic shopping bags here, we burn most of our garbage, the rest we take to the landfill which is paid for from taxes, parking is free, roads are paid for from taxes. We don't pay for banking. I have my own air compressor at home, and I carry one in the vehicle in remote areas. We don't go to bars or restaurants, and what little alcohol we consume we do it at home. We don't fly anymore, so don't care about those costs.
Bottom line is, the cost for everything, and taxes is going up. With no end in sight.

Our garbage pick up costs $47 every 2 months
But we can also take any larger garbage to the local dump for free
plastic bags still free at Walmart
air for tires has always cost something
no tv here, and we have free internet ( we have an antenne on our property)
I am pretty sure water is still free at a restaurant
banking is still free ( at least our bank) , except we have to pay a small amount for new checks

Good article, and I can relate to the TV cost... I used to watch football for free, as long as I already had the basic cable plan, but now it's all "apps" and extra costs and other BS which I refuse to pay, especially since the rich globalist swine who own the teams dragged politics into the game. I can't really get around paying the trash fees, since it would probably cost me just as much to haul it to the nearest dumpster... so I'm stuck paying $40 per month. I'm okay with it, since trash truck operation ain't exactly cheap either. I use USAA as my bank, so fees and whatnot are low to nonexistent as long as I stay within the stated parameters. And the issue of air at service stations is a pet peeve of mine, I believe this idiotic system of charging for air actually increases the number of wrecks on the road, as nobody wants to pay for air. Better to do like Heartbroken and buy a small compressor... even if it's kept at home, you can still check your tires on a regular basis. I understand that business owners have overhead costs and all, but some of this "nickel & diming you to death" is based SOLELY upon straight-up friggin' GREED. :mad:

Plastic bags are .08 each. The local Walmart has eliminated all plastic bags now.
You either bring your own reusable bag or carry everything out in your hands.
We pay $28 a month for garbage service and that includes the rolling garbage can.
I don't have a TV service provider so my wife streams shows occasionally. I watch YouTube.
I have an air compressor at home and I'm thinking about buying a small compressor to take on the road.
I put a tire monitoring system on our travel trailer so I can constantly monitor air pressure and tire temperature real time.
Les Schwab tire stores will check your tires and inflate them to the proper pressure free.
Just pull in and a guy will come out and you don't even need to get out of your vehicle.
It's supposed to be for people that buy their tires from them but they will do it for everyone.
They also provide road side service, tire rotations and and will replace a tire that blows out on the road even if you run over something all free. You do have to have their tires to get those services free.
The small town I live in has free parking. The larger town just implemented pay parking.
If you have a handicap placard you can park free, even in Seattle if you're dumb enough to go there.
Last time I flew my son and DIL checked all the bags and since my son was active duty and his wife uses an airline CC there was no baggage fee.
We went to the car race and a bottle of Blue Moon beer was $9. That's $54 a 6 pack. A bit excessive if you ask me.
We flew to Hawaii a few years ago and a stale ham sandwich was $8. I also could not get a pillow even if I paid for one.
Flight attendant gave me 2 blankets so I could use one as a pillow.
On our return flight we stopped at subway and bought our own sandwich.
OTA TV has always been free and still is but I don't watch it.

Good article, and I can relate to the TV cost... I used to watch football for free, as long as I already had the basic cable plan, but now it's all "apps" and extra costs and other BS which I refuse to pay, especially since the rich globalist swine who own the teams dragged politics into the game. I can't really get around paying the trash fees, since it would probably cost me just as much to haul it to the nearest dumpster... so I'm stuck paying $40 per month. I'm okay with it, since trash truck operation ain't exactly cheap either. I use USAA as my bank, so fees and whatnot are low to nonexistent as long as I stay within the stated parameters. And the issue of air at service stations is a pet peeve of mine, I believe this idiotic system of charging for air actually increases the number of wrecks on the road, as nobody wants to pay for air. Better to do like Heartbroken and buy a small compressor... even if it's kept at home, you can still check your tires on a regular basis. I understand that business owners have overhead costs and all, but some of this "nickel & diming you to death" is based SOLELY upon straight-up friggin' GREED. :mad:
Get a used satellite dish and the plans for a descrambler.

Plastic bags are .08 each. The local Walmart has eliminated all plastic bags now.
You either bring your own reusable bag or carry everything out in your hands.
We pay $28 a month for garbage service and that includes the rolling garbage can.
I don't have a TV service provider so my wife streams shows occasionally. I watch YouTube.
I have an air compressor at home and I'm thinking about buying a small compressor to take on the road.
I put a tire monitoring system on our travel trailer so I can constantly monitor air pressure and tire temperature real time.
Les Schwab tire stores will check your tires and inflate them to the proper pressure free.
Just pull in and a guy will come out and you don't even need to get out of your vehicle.
It's supposed to be for people that buy their tires from them but they will do it for everyone.
They also provide road side service, tire rotations and and will replace a tire that blows out on the road even if you run over something all free. You do have to have their tires to get those services free.
The small town I live in has free parking. The larger town just implemented pay parking.
If you have a handicap placard you can park free, even in Seattle if you're dumb enough to go there.
Last time I flew my son and DIL checked all the bags and since my son was active duty and his wife uses an airline CC there was no baggage fee.
We went to the car race and a bottle of Blue Moon beer was $9. That's $54 a 6 pack. A bit excessive if you ask me.
We flew to Hawaii a few years ago and a stale ham sandwich was $8. I also could not get a pillow even if I paid for one.
Flight attendant gave me 2 blankets so I could use one as a pillow.
On our return flight we stopped at subway and bought our own sandwich.
OTA TV has always been free and still is but I don't watch it.
What TPMS brand and model did you get? Are you satisfied with it,

Pirate Bay or the "Grey Web" has them, I'll be on the lookout.

You know home made ones are illegal right? it makes Disney nervous they might miss a dollar,

What TPMS brand and model did you get? Are you satisfied with it,
My new trailer was prewired for the tire link system so it was just a matter of putting the monitor in the docking station, screwing on the 4 tire sensors, download the app and it was done.
I will get a real time alert if a tire starts losing pressure or the temperature starts to increase.
I always look at the app to make sure I'm good to go before I ever move the RV.
This is what I have.
https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Comp...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070153009855&th=1

It isn't cheap but if it saves me one blown tire and a shredded RV it will have paid for itself.

1. Parking on streets is still free in much of the U.S. (I can't say all, because I haven't been everywhere in the U.S.). Street parking varies - maybe a few dollars an hour. Parking in major cities is insane - I think I dropped over $100 parking in Boston for a couple hours while parked near Faneuil Hall.

2. There is still free digital over-the-air television in much of the U.S., but cable television and streaming services are not free.

3. When last I flew (years ago), one was allowed one checked bag under a certain weight and a carry-on under a certain size and weight free of charge. That may have changed. I don't care; I won't fly commercial airlines ever again.

4. Air pumps at gas (petrol) stations is usually not free. Every so often you can find a place that still has a free pump, but most are around a dollar for five minutes of air.

Regarding the price of drinks in bars (pubs) and restaurants, they have long been gouging customers on the price of beer, wine and liquor. It's a rare exception when I'll order a drink when I'm out. Some places will let you bring your own bottle - but they'll charge you a corking fee to open it.

5. Trash & recylables pick-up is free in many cities, but you need to hire a private company if you don't live within city limits. The cost is not too bad for us, and ours has been great - it'll take away anything I put out.

6. Here in New York State, plastic bags have been banned because our state government is comprised of morons. Some smaller stores still use them and give them out for no cost. Others use paper bags (which, back in the 1970's, were deemed unnecessary slaying of precious trees) and they're also free. Most larger grocery chains charge five cents per paper bag (where I am - prices may vary).

7. Regarding "the dash" - here, most restaurants will add a lime or lemon wedge for no charge. And most places will offer free refills of Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, water, etc.

8. See #3: I haven't flown in a long while. The last time I did was St. Patrick's Day back in the early 2000's and they offered free booze. I had a hard time standing up and finding the exit when we landed....

9. Banking tends to be mostly free here. If your account balance drops below a certain amount, they often charge a maintenance fee. If you overdraw your account, you'll be charged. Interest paid on your account tends to be extremely small; it may be cheaper (and safer) to stash cash under your mattress.

10. Outside New Jersey, I don't know of any state that charges to use most major highways. New York State has its Thruway, which was supposed to be a toll highway only until the cost of building it was paid for - which happened years ago. But it's still a toll highway. There are plenty of free alternative routes, however. AFAIK, most highways are free to use in the U.S.

My new trailer was prewired for the tire link system so it was just a matter of putting the monitor in the docking station, screwing on the 4 tire sensors, download the app and it was done.
I will get a real time alert if a tire starts losing pressure or the temperature starts to increase.
I always look at the app to make sure I'm good to go before I ever move the RV.
This is what I have.
https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Comp...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070153009855&th=1

It isn't cheap but if it saves me one blown tire and a shredded RV it will have paid for itself.
Thanks Bud.

Touching upon parking: it makes sense for some cities to charge for parking, as that routinely helps free up space in front of businesses and offices and whatnot... but those same cities make a helluva lotta money ticketing those vehicles whose meters have expired. Saw it all the time in San Diego and Coronado, those cities have "meter maids" who constantly patrol paid parking areas and slap tickets on the vehicles of "offenders." My point here is that the revenue collected through ticketing may far exceed the amount of coins in the meters themselves. Just sayin'... ;)

A descrambler sounds like a great idea, if you can make one for yourself.
Hee, hee. Back in the day when satellite dishes were 10' wide, and people got all the premium channels for free, they went and scrambled all the premium PPV channels and it ruined everybody's party. :mad:
Would you believe that I was 'that guy' that was reprogramming eproms and all they had to do was plug it in and presto! everything was 'free' again.:D
(yes, you did have to keep the leaves swept out of them:)):
11fr1-jpg.143814

Last edited:
Had a think about other things; so much stuff we 'think' we need, and therefore are open to every marketing scam going. Bottled water, for instance. In the 80's I don't think anyone would have ever guessed it would be a 'thing'. Insurance for phones, our pets, travel. The newest is insurance for Mums specifically, 'in case something happens.' Paying for fears.
One of the things to add to that is a housing tax they introduced here after the crash of 2010. I know you guys have had it for years over in the States. It irks me to pay a tax for a property that we worked to own, and at any minute if they wanted to could CPO it to put a pylon/ road or drill on, and I have to pay them yearly for the pleasure. It has dropped here, at least, around 200quid, but like the USC charge in our wages, it was to be for a 'while' and it's still there. We get nothing for it - I have my own well, septic tank etc. Oh! Sorry, that turned into a rant!
Anyone ever pay to use a public bathroom?

Hee, hee. Back in the day when satellite dishes were 10' wide, and people got all the premium channels for free, they went and scrambled all the premium PPV channels and it ruined everybody's party. :mad:
Would you believe that I was 'that guy' that was reprogramming eproms and all they had to do was plug it in and presto! everything was 'free' again.:D
(yes, you did have to keep the leaves swept out of them:)):
11fr1-jpg.143814
I Want to know what they did to the satellite I used to get my news from, it got scrambled during the vid outbreak and never came back on. SSB is your friend! :)

Our home is no longer owned in any direct way by a bank - my wife and I paid it off. So it's ours. Sort of.

The town we live in is free to reassess property values and adjust tax burdens however they see fit. Combine the insane rise in property prices over the last few years with the decline in value of the dollar, and older folks on a fixed income run into a very real problem: they're likely to lose their homes if they can't pay their property taxes.

Should people have to choose between paying for medication, food, utilities, and paying extremely high taxes just for the privilege of living in "their" home?

Allodial titles should be the norm: you buy your property and you own it completely; no one can take it away. Instead, allodial titles don't exist in the U.S. anymore, except for some very rare circumstances.

When I bought this ranch years ago the property tax was $35 per year. After building the house, barn and outbuildings our taxes are now a couple thousand a year. That's just for the house and a few acres. The rest of the property is under agricultural and timber exemptions.
As long as a person has to pay property tax they never truly own the land. Our government should never be allowed to have the amount of money that we, the taxpayers send them. But that is a whole other issue.

I've been working on a deal to buy this house that I want; it's been derailed due to the appraisal coming in at less than the agreed-upon price, so it's starting over with negotiations again. But in the process I learned that the useless, evil slugs that comprise our government have imposed another fee - there's excess cost to my home loan, because I have an excellent credit score and low debt - to help people with bad credit scores buy homes. It's so completely assinine. I worked to get where I am, and now I'm being robbed. 2008, anyone? 🤬
😡🥵

Latest posts

Back