This forum needs organization

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
My bourbon fueled midnight thoughts
This forum needs some behind the scene organization
Every one here needs to own a C B
Then, done behind the scenes via private message
Pick a day of the week
Time of day
Let’s say just for discussion sake, every Tuesday at 2 am. On channel 3. Members of this group will be able to communicate

Not every one would be eligible to join. It
would be by invite only and not spoken of on the forum

The day time should change periodically

My brother has been trying to get me to get a ham radio forever . He's been doing that his whole life since he was a teenager. But too much hassle and I dont have time for that
And I generally sleep at 2 am
But not a bad idea, I did have a CB in my car for a little while in the 80s when speed limits were still 55

Pick a day of the week
Time of day
Let’s say just for discussion sake, every Tuesday at 2 am. On channel 3. Members of this group will be able to communicate

Are you volunteering? forums are MAYHEM. My thanks to Swing and Havasu for the clarity they bring. I have done that task, never again.

Pick a day of the week
Time of day

HCL underground!! CB's don't get out that far!! 🤔 Interesting idea though!

CB’s are good for about 5 miles on an Interstate, less than a mile in the Deep South piney woods.
Now, if yer on top of a mountain, you can get some range.

Go 21st century and have a Zoom meeting.

CB’s are good for about 5 miles on an Interstate, less than a mile in the Deep South piney woods.

A former member tried zoom meetings, didn't really work out!

Pick a day of the week
Time of day

Why not use Skype or stick cam so we can all stick our nose in?
I found out a certain former member was talking crap about me and others on YouTube.

I've wanted a pass-worded chatroom in here forever, discord has a great system going on, and they're free, just a bit spammy for games. no camera or mic is required. My kid AMC is a genius at setting up Discord servers, we could even do a separate one from the forum.

Last edited:
We have members here from Alaska to Australia, and all the other A places in between. CB would be lucky to get you talking to two other people. Even SSB would be hard to get reception for everyone at the same time. The internet is more reliable today.

I agree the internet is the best way to communicate
But what my intention is , is to set in place a means of communication that can be used if the **** got deep

Worst case scenario, Biden goes total stupid and china pushes a button
Internet or Skype is not going to do anyone any good
I am thinking long term and apocalyptic

But what my intention is , is to set in place a means of communication that can be used if the **** got deep

Many will decide to isolate, especially from those that know we are peppers. I believe that we have a fair amount but if we share with two other people it cuts our life in half.

if it gets long term and apocalyptical I'm not communicating with anyone!

Pick a day of the week
Time of day

CB won't get far.

I can talk with KD4XXX on HF, we tested it. Might make BKT, but we never tested it. I can't recall the Zoom guy, buffalo something maybe.

Not skilled in the art of zoom, and don't pay, but I can set one up if you all want to try again.

Yes and NO I've had / have several CB's and 10,11,12 meter radios that I've talked all over the world with. I will freely admit they were all pushing a LOT more power than factory. Several times including now I've had linear's that push the wattage up to 500-600 watts or more of transmit power. They also boost the incoming signal quite a bit.

A good way to increase range is getting the antenna up high for a base unit and if it's a mobile unit then parking at the edge of large bodies of water helps quite a bit

A CB radio network is not even remotely possible.
I couldn't even reach the member closest to me much less someone across the country.
Ham radio could work but there are very few members that are ham operators on here.
I did buy a cheap radio but I know nothing about Ham radio and when I listen in there is NO traffic so it's a waste of my time right now.

A few times, I've been able to speak to people several hundred miles away on CB. That was maybe three or four times out of hundreds. Normally, you're limited to a few miles.

Lower frequencies using sideband (that's French for ham radio) is the way to go.

I'm up for trying to make some contacts with other HCL hams. In fact, I kinda like the idea of trying js8 which is probably my go-to mode during a SHTF event because it punches through the noise so well.

The members of my church are ready for so much in many ways. It is very organized. It varies from region to region. Some of it is self-preservation, some within the church organization, some between friends and neighbors. It is mostly not discussed online.

My wife is a licensed HAM operator.
I let her handle coms.
She has a unit in the house, and one the size of a CB in her truck. Along with a CB as well.
(She drives a Silverado Crew Cab 2500 Heavy Duty 4X4 with the Duramax turbo diesel :) )
I have always had CB’s in my trucks, right now I have a Galaxy 40 channel.

I have a difficult time wrapping my mind around the value of HAM setup, during a SHTF / WROL event. During a major WROL event, petrol will be very limited or non-existent. Anybody outside your immediate area, might as well live on the moon. You are not going to be going to their rescue and they will not be able to get to you. Yes you will want information but you will want / need information about local conditions / events. Will it help to know the big city 100 miles away is burning? CB will be the closest I get to electronic communication devices.

Latest posts

Back