This is NOT barbecue

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
I saw this article where they talked about how "Why is Brooklyn BBQ taking over the world", then they showed this picture (see below) as one of the barbecue meals they offer. o_O It looks like a sad school lunch tray in a very poor part of Texas, not something I would get at a BBQ joint. Would this pass for BBQ in your house? Or your favorite BBQ restaurant?

demo.png

"I think we started a wave of a more modern, urban, non-traditional BBQ," he said. When they launched, Carroll didn't have a BBQ background and wasn't interested in following the footsteps of the Carolinas, Memphis, or Texas. "That's not where my heart was," he said. He grew up in Northern New Jersey and wanted to create something that relates to the area.

"Ordering by weight is something done in Central Texas, but it is also something they do at New York delis," he said. "Even our rub has espresso in it. I mean what's more New York than that?"

NEW YORK CITY.
Like the salsa ads.
The owners statement says it all.
That is hipster food for people that have no idea what real BBQ is.

That borders on sacrilege. Stringy grey slices of meat. Please. Never trust bbq from someone that has obviously never broken down a whole hog or started a proper wood fire outside of city limits.

I used to belong to a circle of BBQ boards. (surprising, huh?)
Lots of amateurs, lots of pros, lots of guys who took a 2 hour class and got to call themselves certified judges.
Although I never physically met them, I know of quite a few in Brooklyn.
There's just too much hype when it comes to something as simple as good BBQ, and too many people trying way too hard, making it way too complicated.
And good BBQ is so subjective, that I really just gave up talking to people about it.
And then you see a plate like the OP posted, and you just have to wonder what happened.

now hold on a minute there, maybe that's the appetizer for the baby. But it still doesn't look like it was cut in the right direction.

I will reserve judgement on the if it is barbecue thing until I put a piece in my mouth. Hey, ya never know.

As far as something I would get from an establishment that claims to be a ‘barbecue joint’… Sad. Unless those are pototo rolls, that doesn’t even slightly resemble a meat & taters sampler plate.

Barbecue, to me, translates to plate-full-a-stuff. A barbecue joint has a long counter. You walk in, someone asks what you would like, then hands you a tray with a plate on it. You walk down the line and the next person asks ‘what you want?’ Hold out your plate and they slice off whatever you ask for, then you move down the line. You pass the entire line of dishes, sides, deserts… At the end someone at a register puts an empty glass on your tray, looks at your plate and calls out a number. You pay. You hit the condiment bar, fill your drink and go sit.

A really good Barbecue joint starts off the same, but you have to take your tray outside, or into another part of the building, and hit the pits. Couple gentlemen say howdy and ask ‘What you want?’ They open the pits and slice off whatever you ask for. Head back in and the folks in there fill up containers with whatever else you need. Look at your plate, call out a number, pay, hit the bar then sit.

Latest posts

Back