Three Self Defense Tips for the Elderly/Aging

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use a cane but I wonder if you can buy a one that has a concealed knife at the bottom. You pull a lever/trigger and the knife flips out. The knife would be at the bottom end, so it would be something like a sword and you would be several feet away from the attacker.
There are a lot of sword canes on the market, some are cheap junk, some are good quality.
Perfectly legal in Florida, the only reason I've never gotten one is (a) good ones are over $100, and (b) I mostly have a gun on me.
BUT, it would be a stealth weapon in a no gun zone. Who's going to look twice at a 75 year old guy with a cane?

There are a lot of sword canes on the market, some are cheap junk, some are good quality.
Perfectly legal in Florida, the only reason I've never gotten one is (a) good ones are over $100, and (b) I mostly have a gun on me.
BUT, it would be a stealth weapon in a no gun zone. Who's going to look twice at a 75 year old guy with a cane?
Who’s going to look twice at a 75 year old guy with a cane? Some thug who may think you are an easy target. But I know you know how to keep yourself safe and defend yourself.

Who’s going to look twice at a 75 year old guy with a cane? Some thug who may think you are an easy target. But I know you know how to keep yourself safe and defend yourself.
yep, I'm old but NOT easy :). You all know we got old with practice :p

I’m not much of a fan or pepper spray. For those of you that are, use it outside. Spraying inside means that you and everyone else in that confined space gets a healthy dose. I have asthma so I don’t want something to obstruct my airway. Data shows that the more violently you respond to an attack the more likely you will be to come out of the altercation without serious injury.

I’m not much of a fan or pepper spray. For those of you that are, use it outside. Spraying inside means that you and everyone else in that confined space gets a healthy dose. I have asthma so I don’t want something to obstruct my airway. Data shows that the more violently you respond to an attack the more likely you will be to come out of the altercation without serious injury.
I wonder if gel pepper spray is better for the things you mentioned.

I've sprayed regular pepper spray on the tip of my finger. I got burning eyes and nose when my finger was about 4 inches from my nose.
The gel would stick better but it would have to release very strong fumes in order to work. I have a fondness for breathing so pepper spray, or any chemical, is a poor choice for me. I strongly suggest outside only and then be aware of the wind direction. There are a few people that are little affected by pepper spray. It is not always effective.

Watching the videos of my stepson’s 6 months at the law enforcement academy, during hand to hand takedowns they were trained to keep on fighting even when being sprayed right in the face with pepper spray.
I don’t mean one squirt, but pairs of trainees down on the mat grappling while instructors stood over them just spraying away.
I was seriously impressed.

Having been a FFEMT there have been occasionally on an emergency scene where I have had to restrain an elderly person armed with a cane , If you are at the age that you HAVE to use a cane then your core strength ,balance and speed are not going to make it effective, remember you can only swing the cane once it is an impact weapon highly dependent on the contact on the target being at the sweet spot.. The cane is not your answer it is your distraction.
Always carry multiple avenues of defence, your cane,your pepper spray, a knife,a blackjack or sap and finally your firearm.
Never just show a weapon hoping to frighten an adversity they usually do not operate alone. Remember the old saw, being forewarned is forearmed. It works for them also they already see the cane.

Mayhaps we need to develop a pepper spray cane but as others have said here what if the offender is attacking from upwind??

Having been a FFEMT there have been occasionally on an emergency scene where I have had to restrain an elderly person armed with a cane , If you are at the age that you HAVE to use a cane then your core strength ,balance and speed are not going to make it effective, remember you can only swing the cane once it is an impact weapon highly dependent on the contact on the target being at the sweet spot.. The cane is not your answer it is your distraction.
Always carry multiple avenues of defence, your cane,your pepper spray, a knife,a blackjack or sap and finally your firearm.
Never just show a weapon hoping to frighten an adversity they usually do not operate alone. Remember the old saw, being forewarned is forearmed. It works for them also they already see the cane.

Mayhaps we need to develop a pepper spray cane but as others have said here what if the offender is attacking from upwind??
Good points and I agree.
Personally, even if I had to use a cane, I wouldn't use it because I carry. And yes, the element of surprise is what I would do too. Like the old saying goes, don't aim a gun unless you are going to use it. And I do agree with the element of surprise for pepper spray and anything else.

Elderly people could also carry a life alert button. They can be tracked.

i have that cane that is a stun gun and its not too shabby. glad i got it, heavy duty cane-walking stick. i also got a stun gun thing shaped like a pen, that fits in pocket. ive practiced with them. i kinda like the pen shaped one a bit more, it is easier to put m,y hand opn it, slip the ON button and point.

Latest posts

Back