Tornadoes, 2024

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It is the start of tornado season. This map shows the potential tornado threats today.

Does someone have a better source for daily updates? Although I have never watched CNN, I see that it is not a favorite source for many of you.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/02/weat...-tornado-threat-eastern-us-tuesday/index.html

tornado threat map, April 2, 2024.JPG

Thanks for sending. Many people have an app on their phone that will track the weather locally, which is probbly more accurate, and easier to access. We had a tornado warning yesterday late afternoon. Local government agencies are very good about issueing warnings.

It is the start of tornado season. This map shows the potential tornado threats today.

Does someone have a better source for daily updates? Although I have never watched CNN, I see that it is not a favorite source for many of you.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/02/weat...-tornado-threat-eastern-us-tuesday/index.html

View attachment 127566
Unless lying about the weather becomes politically expedient, CNN is likely just as good/bad as any other place. I expect that local forecasts are better than national. I’ve always said that the only liars that are worse than fishermen are weather forecasters. News reporters are on an entirely different level and are outside the consideration of this post.

Mostly I look out the window. When I want a guess about the next few days I type “weather” into Duck, Duck, Go and read what comes up. The wife and I compare forecasts. They are never the same. I’ve never seen a tornado.

Edit: Back in the day, when we got the weather off the radio, if it really mattered we’d dial in Prince Rupert, get the Canadian forecast, and add 6 hours. I told a buddy that if the national weather service wanted a forecaster to quit they were assigned here. My buddy laughed at me when I told him. The head of the National Weather Service for Alaska regularly traveled on my friend's ship. When my buddy confronted him he made no attempt to deny it.

Last edited:
Both Old House and New House are in the red zone today.
I've done what I can.
Now we wait and see what happens.
Nothing but wind and rain so far at our old and new houses. Lori will visit Star tomorrow, and check on the Clarksville house.

Nothing but wind and rain so far at our old and new houses. Lori will visit Star tomorrow, and check on the Clarksville house.
Yay - glad to hear it!
Old House (and us in it) is in the clear. Not even a lot of wind, just sheets of rain.
But New House.... Adams County has a confirmed tornado and I'm trying to get more info on it - it's very close. While I'd hate to lose the house, I'm more concerned about our fantastic neighbors.

ETA: confirmed that New House and nearby neighbors are all safe!
But the county seat, West Union, has had at least one touch down, with other possible hits in Maysville KY and Ripley OH as well.

Last edited:
I'm under a tornado watch until midnight... There is more to come for tomorrow. April is the big month for my state. We get tornadoes year round, but April... EF5's happen.

Since 1950, number of tornadoes by month.

View attachment 127600
I posted videos on YouTube of the one that passed less than a mile from us in Arab, AL (April 2011, Tornado Alley).
https://m.youtube.com/@supervisor42/videos
I'd rather face our 'spinny-things' down here... at least you get a 3-day warning for those. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't worry about the small ones, ef1's & 2's. You might get a tree on your car or lose part of the roof. Nothing serious, no injuries.

But if the weather is right for ef3's & 4's... best find a rock to crawl under! EF4's will suck the pavement up from roads so it'd better be a big rock! :eyeballs:

This big storm was near Philadelphia mississippi. It sucked the sod up from a pasture..

800px-Philadelphia,_MS_ground_scouring.jpg

Back