Tornadoes, 2024

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A dear friend's parents live in that area and had some damage to their home, were without power for over 24 hours. Hope your family made out okay @havasu
My ex is still without power, 4-5 days later. The grandkids are loving the camping in the living room with candles as lights.

I moved back to the farm 25yrs ago. I’ve had time to study tornadoes. Here topography plays a big part in the path of tornadoes. I’m where the Appalachian chain meets the coastal plain. There are gaps in the foothills on lines/paths from sw to ne form natural corridors for tornadoes. They even affect their formation. The majority of the tornadoes in the state follow these mini-alleys

Example, there’s a nado zone from tuskaloosa going south, about 50 miles wide. Starting north of merridian ms and curving north and east to south of birmingham. There are others. Some tracks/paths produce bigger tornadoes. I happen to live in one of these mini tornado alleys within the state. Usually ef3’s or smaller for me but there’s an occasional ef4.

This map is just for 2020. Over the decades these tracks/paths appear wider but still obvious. Bet the real estate people don't advertise this...

2024-05-26 23-05-00.jpg

Thank goodness they are all right @havasu
I think by the end of their first spring and summer in Texas, a lot of newcomers say, "that's it! I'm outta here!"
That was mostly an EF-2 and another one EF-1 there in Belton/Temple area. It was an area that is growing rapidly.
It is a mess the way the state will come rolling through the cities in TX with new highways and it messes up what was usually an already messed up layout of the city roads. That area is no different, in my opinion.

My preparations are now being used . My gas generator is powering my freezer and refrigerator . My solar powering my computer . My tribe was fortunate as we didn't lose any structures though my daughters house lost about half of their roof . Some of my neighbors , the walls of their homes were pulled out , the people sucked out and killed .

My preparations are now being used . My gas generator is powering my freezer and refrigerator . My solar powering my computer . My tribe was fortunate as we didn't lose any structures though my daughters house lost about half of their roof . Some of my neighbors , the walls of their homes were pulled out , the people sucked out and killed .
Glad you could check in! Sorry for the loss of lives so close!! So much work ahead with clean up and trying to rebuild and move forward!!💔

@poltiregist, so glad you have your people safe and your preps to help you through. Such a horrible experience. Over 20 years ago there was a tornado near us, people killed. And all that happened to us was some upturned garbage cans. So close... and yet such an incredibly different outcome. It felt so surreal for a long time. 'But for the grace of God go I.'

I grew up in the burbs of Missouri, and as a kid I remember so many times the police driving through the streets telling people to get into their basements. We'd open all windows, and head to the basement. Had some VERY close calls a number of times.

Here in TX we don't have basements, so I feel very exposed. Was thinking about getting one of those steel tornado shelters and bolting it to the garage floor.

I live in an area much occupied by some real preppers . I say that only so you guys can relate to this story . One of my closest neighbors has a hidden bunker " no not a basement , they live in a mobile home " . Trying to escape the tornado they retreated to the bunker . The problem was it was cluttered up and the woman of the house cut her leg tendon on broken glass . In the aftermath the road was sealed off with downed timber . The man eventually got his wife to a hospital " not sure how " . -- Morrel of the story , keep your bunker free of clutter .

A nine year old boy in my grandson's class , until we got sick enough of the public school system and drew my grandson out of public school and home schooled him , our nine year old neighbor was trying to hold onto his little sister until the tornado ripped their shelter away and sucked them both away . The nine year old died , the little sister survived .

Last edited:
My sister and brother in law that live in Huntsville, Texas.
Are talking bout coming back to Missouri when he retires next year.
Both born and bred Missourians.
Both said this last visit, if they wanted to live in bat **** crazy Missouri weather in Texas.
They might as well come back to Missouri.

Latest posts

Back