Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I did not feel like going to work out. I had skipped 3 days in a row because I was so exhausted.

Nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for. Sometimes your body needs a rest, and you just have to listen to it. You know far better than I. Take a little break and come back with renewed vigor. :thumbs:

BTW -leg days always kicked my butt. Not much fun, a necessary evil.

@Morgan101 Arm day is what kills me, I definitely have better lower body strength than upper body.
Going to get back at it today. I have 8 days off work now. Trying to lose these last 10 lbs is so difficult!

For me losing 10 lbs, would be like throwing a deck chair off of the Titanic. Nobody is going to notice; even my wife. You go girl!! Determination and will power will get you there.

For me losing 10 lbs, would be like throwing a deck chair off of the Titanic. Nobody is going to notice; even my wife. You go girl!! Determination and will power will get you there.
Haha you would be surprised! People definitely do notice. Although it took me losing about 40 lbs for people to notice. I don't think anyone will really notice if I lose these last 10, I'll probably look the same, I just want to be more toned up. Originally just wanted to be able to work out in the woods without being exhausted. Now I can work out all day until about 3 pm (starting at 7 am) before getting tired (and that is because of the heat). Glad to accomplish that goal. I think setting small goals can be helpful in that regard.

My job has been beating me up so bad that I have fallen off the exercise bandwagon. The physical labor has been brutal along with some 15 and 16 hour days doing it. I don't feel like I need any cardio - if you've ever spent time swinging a sledgehammer, you know that it's like going from 0 to 100 in 5 seconds. But I am too wiped out to do any lifting.

I just got off a telemedicine call with my RNP and she is ordering a hormone panel along with my A1c and cholesterol. I'm about to turn 50 and I've got no energy and I've suddenly developed a lot of aches that weren't there recently. She's going to check my testosterone and all that. Also she's going to send me to a dietician and possibly to a diabetes educator for a little brush up on my skills and knowledge. Hopefully all of that can get me back into the swing of things...

My job has been beating me up so bad that I have fallen off the exercise bandwagon. The physical labor has been brutal along with some 15 and 16 hour days doing it. I don't feel like I need any cardio - if you've ever spent time swinging a sledgehammer, you know that it's like going from 0 to 100 in 5 seconds. But I am too wiped out to do any lifting.

I just got off a telemedicine call with my RNP and she is ordering a hormone panel along with my A1c and cholesterol. I'm about to turn 50 and I've got no energy and I've suddenly developed a lot of aches that weren't there recently. She's going to check my testosterone and all that. Also she's going to send me to a dietician and possibly to a diabetes educator for a little brush up on my skills and knowledge. Hopefully all of that can get me back into the swing of things...
Oh man that's rough. I can't imagine doing that physical of a job, I would imagine you wouldn't have energy for anything. My job is more emotional plus some physical (if you have multiple crashing patients) and a lot of brain power that can be mentally exhausting.
I hope you get the answers you need on that - sometimes thyroid levels can be low by late 40s to early 50s for men - hopefully that is all it is.
A little over a year ago, I was getting beat up at work, the schedule sucked, the administration was terrible and it was just so draining. Made a switch and it was all the change I needed to feel better. Make sure to take care of yourself.

Spike, I'm approaching 50 as well. Job is not to physical, but work around the homestead can be. I started losing energy about two years ago. Found out it was high blood pressure and too much of the good bourbon. Once I got the BP in check, I've found I have more energy.

DrJenner is so correct...take care of yourself so you can take care of others.

Spike, I'm approaching 50 as well. Job is not to physical, but work around the homestead can be. I started losing energy about two years ago. Found out it was high blood pressure and too much of the good bourbon. Once I got the BP in check, I've found I have more energy.

DrJenner is so correct...take care of yourself so you can take care of others.
Thank you. I try to watch my health as closely as I can. As a Type 1 diabetic since age 15, it's in my best interest to do so.

My BP is good. My blood glucose levels are generally quite good. All my other blood levels will be revealed next week when I get my results back.

What concerns me is not just the energy loss, but there's a mental aspect as well. I've got little motivation to do anything. I just feel like sitting around and eating. Plus I've got weird aches and pains, beyond what I normally get from work. That tells me something is off. I don't really drink or use substances so that's not the issue. We'll see if there's an issue when my results come back...

Keep us posted @Spikedriver - I hope you get to feeling better.
I also didn’t realize how much baggage I was carrying around from my childhood. 6 months of therapy as well as an antidepressant , I’ve been feeling better and on the way to a happier outlook. I’m hoping I won’t need the antidepressant for long. I think the last 2.5 years did me in, but I’ve slowly been digging out. I’m here for ya if you need a friend.

Keep us posted @Spikedriver - I hope you get to feeling better.
I also didn’t realize how much baggage I was carrying around from my childhood. 6 months of therapy as well as an antidepressant , I’ve been feeling better and on the way to a happier outlook. I’m hoping I won’t need the antidepressant for long. I think the last 2.5 years did me in, but I’ve slowly been digging out. I’m here for ya if you need a friend.
Thank you. I don't believe this is a depression thing or something that needs an antidepressant. I think it's physical. I've been through anxiety/depression before, and this seems different. I don't feel broken this time. I just feel like something is off, physically. My suspicion is that the work I've been doing is just too much for me at this stage of my life. If there's anything going on with my body chemistry being off, the combination of those things should be fairly easy to fix...

Thank you. I don't believe this is a depression thing or something that needs an antidepressant. I think it's physical. I've been through anxiety/depression before, and this seems different. I don't feel broken this time. I just feel like something is off, physically. My suspicion is that the work I've been doing is just too much for me at this stage of my life. If there's anything going on with my body chemistry being off, the combination of those things should be fairly easy to fix...
Gotcha. Yeah it’s best to listen to your inner gut when you have that feeling. I hope you get it figured out soon!

This isn't a workout post - I've really fallen off that bandwagon for the last couple months. But I did just get my lab results this morning. My A1c was 5.3! And I'm a Type 1 diabetic. In my mind I'm giving a middle finger to all those people who keep trying to tell me what I can and can't eat. I'll handle my diet just fine on my own, thank you very much!

Hiking can be a great exercise and fun! I use to enjoy running trails, but not as much anymore.

Spike, I think the DHEA could be the issue you were feeling off. From what I can tell, it can stem from inactivity. I was given a similar report not too long ago. The was I understood it was it's kind of like a spiral, you don't feel up to working out, so you don't, DHEA goes down, you have less energy, which means you don't feel up to working out, DHEA goes down more, you have less energy......
Now I try to do something, even if it's just a walk. I was told it can lead to diabetes and gaining weight and I'm trying to move the opposite direction.

But, I'm not a doctor and I'm leery of a "take this pill and it'll all be better" approach to anything.

@Ozarks hillbilly the DHEA could be it. But I doubt it could be inactivity that causes it. My job tends to be 12 hours a day of heavy physical labor, the kind where you sweat so much that you drink two gallons of water and never have to pee.

Whatever the issue is, I have some appointments getting lined up with an endocrinologist and a nutritionist and that could shed some light on things. I'm not seeing them specifically for the fatigue, they are part of the regular care for T1 diabetes. But you never know, they might help...

@DrJenner my labs showed my testosterone was in the lower end of normal limits at 419 so no problem there but my DHEA was low. My provider wants me to take a DHEA supplement for 30 days. Now I've got to research that because I don't even know what that is...
DHEA is produced in the adrenal gland, and the supplements can interact with other medications, and shouldn't be taken if you have cholesterol issues - it can lower your levels of good cholesterol, so make sure you have them check a lipid panel if you take it for 30 days. Do they think you have adrenal insufficiency? That could explain a lot of your symptoms.
Glad your a1c is low, that is fantastic work!

Been hitting the gym every day this week and doing intermittent fasting. I got crazy with the fasting last week and did a 20:4 schedule and ate between 10a-2p and fasted the rest. Its easy to do with working.
I'm down to 159 lbs, from a start weight of 190+ in January (I stopped checking lol)
4 lbs to my goal weight.

Congrats on the weight loss DrJenner! That's significant. I had to see the Dr again and found out I'm down 26 lbs since July. She asked what my target was. Funny, I hadn't thought about it. I guess I'll quit when I feel like it's right.
Thank you! And that’s a good goal quit the weight loss when it feels right, but just continue to exercise to stay fit!
I haven’t been in the gym at all this last week, we were down in CA visiting my daughter and caught a few of her vball matches.

Latest posts

Back