Turkey talk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Is this the place to discuss Thanksgiving?
I saw Jennie-O brand turkeys at Brookshire's for $1.29 lb. Didn't get one yet.
That store is more expensive than wally world. Still, I picked up a bag of cranberries and a couple of cans of jellied cranberry sauce. yummy.
the other day the girls made pumpkin truffles (dipped in white chocolate). Oh double yummy.

I bought Butterball at Aldi for 89 cents a lb. Two limit, so went twice and bought two for my favorite cousin. Had bought a Butterball at Walmart the week before, but it was around $1.49 a lb. So, three turkeys and two hams in the freezers for the holiday season. I'm seeing fresh cranberries out, but I think I have about 10 lbs frozen from what I brought when we moved. They were hard to find fresh in our area of New Mexico last year, so I bought extra. And I did notice I have 2 pints home canned left. I like tart, homemade cranberry sauce with ham, too. Am finding good sweet potatoes lately, and we've had sweet potato mash recently. Last Aldi trip last week I found powdered shelf stable sweet potato mash for $1.39 a pouch. Each pouch had 1 1/2 cups of dry, directions to add some milk and butter. They are packaged like the powdered regular mashed potatoes. So I bought a bunch, and filled up and sealed a 1/2 gal mason jar and a quart jar for food storage. Already have what we need for holiday meals. We have guests coming in for a few days from New Mex the weekend before Thanksgiving, and then they will be in Tx somewhere for Thanksgiving. Our daughters won't be coming, and I doubt that our son will be. But there is mom and a few Menno cousins here that will probably be for dinner. Cousin made a pumpkin pie and a pumpkin cheesecake the other day and they were both really yummy. I have a pumpkin choc chip cake I used to make for the preschool kids that I should make.

No, but it sounds pretty good.
Now stuffing recipes, there's alot of those. My recipe is in my head, and it's a chunky stuffing, with cornbread and seasoned bread crumbs, lots of celery, onion, sage, slivered almonds, butter.
The casserole pan style stuffing traditional to where we are now is tasty, but so different that it doesn't seem like stuffing to me.

I'm thinking a 3 pound turkey breast for Christmas dinner.
A 6-10 pound turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.
Because we will have the normal sides too,
Ham with whole cranberry glass, lasagna.
Homemade noodles, stuffing, giblet gravy(my mom couldn't make gravy without it turning into paste, so I made the gravy),green bean casserole, deviled eggs,water gate salad, hot rolls, tea and coffee.
Have not clue about desserts I think I still have some blueberries in the freezer from last year.
If I have time blueberry cobbler, deep dish apple, raisin pie.
Whatever isn't eaten will go into freezer as leftovers, or soups, stews,potpies.
Have no clue but is 89 cents a pound a good deal on 6-10 pound turkey?

I'm thinking a 3 pound turkey breast for Christmas dinner.
A 6-10 pound turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.
Because we will have the normal sides too,
Ham with whole cranberry glass, lasagna.
Homemade noodles, stuffing, giblet gravy(my mom couldn't make gravy without it turning into paste, so I made the gravy),green bean casserole, deviled eggs, water gate salad, hot rolls, tea and coffee.
Have not clue about desserts I think I still have some blueberries in the freezer from last year.
If I have time blueberry cobbler, deep dish apple, raisin pie.
Whatever isn't eaten will go into freezer as leftovers, or soups, stews, potpies.
Have no clue but is 89 cents a pound a good deal on 6-10 pound turkey?
Patchouli, thank you for this thread! I'll share some recipes and hope others do as well.

Mo, I think that is an excellent price for turkey.

At the local Safeway, the store closest to me, after you spend $100 within a certain range before Thanksgiving, you get a free turkey. I already qualify for the turkey, but my fridge and freezers are so full now and I've recently added green chilis and other things for the potential stay at home orders here. I'll get my turkey maybe the Friday or Saturday before Thanksgiving. I have to figure out how long it takes to thaw in the fridge.

Last edited:
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...frigerator Thawing Times,pounds — 4 to 5 days
USDA Logo United States Department of Agriculture
Food Safety and Inspection Service

Turkey Basics: Safe Thawing
  • "The Big Thaw"
  • Safe Methods for Thawing
  • Refrigerator Thawing
  • Refrigerator Thawing Times
  • Cold Water Thawing
  • Cold Water Thawing Times
  • Microwave Thawing

• "The Big Thaw"
    Turkeys must be kept at a safe temperature during "the big thaw." While frozen, a turkey is safe indefinitely. However, as soon as it begins to thaw, any bacteria that may have been present before freezing can begin to grow again.

A package of frozen meat or poultry left thawing on the counter more than 2 hours is not at a safe temperature. Even though the center of the package may still be frozen, the outer layer of the food is in the "Danger Zone" between 40 and 140 °F — at a temperature where foodborne bacteria multiply rapidly.

There are three safe ways to thaw food: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave oven.

Safe Methods for Thawing

Immediately after grocery store checkout, take the frozen turkey home and store it in the freezer.

Frozen turkeys should not be left on the back porch, in the car trunk, in the basement, or any place else where temperatures cannot be constantly monitored.

Refrigerator Thawing
    When thawing a turkey in the refrigerator:
  • Plan ahead: allow approximately 24 hours for each 4 to 5 pounds in a refrigerator set at 40 °F or below.
  • Place the turkey in a container to prevent the juices from dripping on other foods.

Refrigerator Thawing Times
    Whole turkey:
  • 4 to 12 pounds — 1 to 3 days
  • 12 to 16 pounds — 3 to 4 days
  • 16 to 20 pounds — 4 to 5 days
  • 20 to 24 pounds —5 to 6 days
A thawed turkey can remain in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 days before cooking. Foods thawed in the refrigerator can be refrozen without cooking but there may be some loss of quality.

Cold Water Thawing
Allow about 30 minutes per pound.

First be sure the turkey is in a leak-proof plastic bag to prevent cross-contamination and to prevent the turkey from absorbing water, resulting in a watery product.

Submerge the wrapped turkey in cold tap water. Change the water every 30 minutes until the turkey is thawed. Cook the turkey immediately after it is thawed.

Cold Water Thawing Times
  • 4 to 12 pounds — 2 to 6 hours
  • 12 to 16 pounds — 6 to 8 hours
  • 16 to 20 pounds — 8 to 10 hours
  • 20 to 24 pounds — 10 to 12 hours
A turkey thawed by the cold water method should be cooked immediately. After cooking, meat from the turkey can be refrozen.

Microwave Thawing
Follow the microwave oven manufacturer's instruction when defrosting a turkey. Plan to cook it immediately after thawing because some areas of the food may become warm and begin to cook during microwaving. Holding partially cooked food is not recommended because any bacteria present wouldn't have been destroyed.

A turkey thawed in the microwave must be cooked immediately.

Last Modified Jul 31, 2013

(origin of this recipe to give credit to is unknown to me) I already have the ingredients for this.
Sweet Potato Souffle

3 large sweet potatoes cooked and whipped
1 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 bag marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Peel and cook potatoes until tender.
Drain and whip potatoes, add sugar, eggs, salt, butter and vanilla.
Mix well and put in greased casserole dish.
Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 25 minutes (or maybe longer if there are other dishes).
Place marshmallows and pecans on top. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown.

Last edited:
Persimmon-cranberry-sauce

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/persimmon-cranberry-sauce-233000
Yields: 2 1/2 cups sauce
3/4 pounds fresh or frozen cranberries (3 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons water
1/2 star anise, or 1/4 teaspoon star anise pieces
1/2 to 2/3 cups sugar
3 firm ripe Fuyu persimmons (about 1 pound) peeled and diced into 1/4 inch pieces

PREPARATION: Bring cranberries, wine, water, star anise, 1/2 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add more sugar, to taste (up to about 2 1/2 tablespoons), and discard star anise. Fold in persimmons. Transfer to a bowl and serve at room temperature or chilled. Stir gently before serving.

Cooks' note: Cranberry sauce, without persimmons, can be made 4 days ahead and chilled, covered. Fold in persimmons before serving.

Where's the recipe for corn relish? Sounds good.

I just buy a small jar when we have a ham, other than that I don't eat much of it., it does go well with ham and turkey.

Sweet Potato Pie

Recipe from "An African American Cookbook, Traditional and Other Favorite Recipes" by Phoebe Bailey, page 166.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

4 to 6 medium sized sweet potatoes
1/2 lbs. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 to 6 eggs
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
ground nutmeg to taste
9 inch unbaked pie crust

1. Boil potatoes until soft. Peel then mash to smooth consistency.
2. Add butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. Mix well.
3. Add milk and nutmeg. Mix well.
4. Pour into pie shell.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 3/4 to 2 hours until lightly brown and set. Cool before slicing.

Mo, hopefully they're doing it to feed those in need and maybe your store will get another order in right quick. Usually I would think they'd have a limit on number of turkeys purchased.
Weedy, those who want me to use the best china can hand wash it afterwards. Lol They also like to try to crowd 15 people around my table that seats 8 if necessary.

The lady who has been creating the family meals all these years...so many options!
Have it catered. "Here's the bill, dear." KFC to go! Burger King. Peanut butter & jelly with chips and applesauce. Sandwich tray from Wally world (actually pretty good). Sushi, nothing but sushi hahaha. Pizza! Costco does good cakes. I say delegate delegate delegate! Here's your assignment, get over it. It sounds like she doesn't know how to say NO.

(origin of this recipe to give credit to is unknown to me) I already have the ingredients for this.
Sweet Potato Souffle

3 large sweet potatoes cooked and whipped
1 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 bag marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Peel and cook potatoes until tender.
Drain and whip potatoes, add sugar, eggs, salt, butter and vanilla.
Mix well and put in greased casserole dish.
Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 25 minutes (or maybe longer if there are other dishes).
Place marshmallows and pecans on top. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown.

I like the shouffle but prefer candied yams,but anything sweet potato is good.:thumbs:

Never mind about the 89 cents a pound turkey.
A local church came in and bought all 30 of them.
And most of the fixings.
So spent a bit more, but I'm still happy.
Turkey was less than $20.
Everything is in freezer so it's all good.
Mo, that is sad, imho. If a store advertises a certain item for a price, they should honor that in one way or another. Raincheck or substitute.

Around here, there was a man who did a big Thanksgiving meal giveaway for years. He is deceased, but they are still doing the giveaway. There are a few places that give away food for a meal. Lots of requests for people to donate a meal. The current price is $35 for a family. I've seen photos of long lines to get a box for making a meal. Then there are several places where a meal is cooked and you can go and be served a meal. Someone once told me he tried to get three meals on Thanksgiving day, going from one place to another. One meal is more than enough for me.

I cook chunks of sweet potatoes in a cornstarch thickened orange juice with some brown sugar. Or I like them mashed with butter and brown sugar. We always have to have frozen peas with onion. My husband insists. And a raspberry sour cream jello. It has layers, and also pineapple chunks in it.

Mo, hopefully they're doing it to feed those in need and maybe your store will get another order in right quick. Usually I would think they'd have a limit on number of turkeys purchased.
Weedy, those who want me to use the best china can hand wash it afterwards. Lol They also like to try to crowd 15 people around my table that seats 8 if necessary.

The lady who has been creating the family meals all these years...so many options!
Have it catered. "Here's the bill, dear." KFC to go! Burger King. Peanut butter & jelly with chips and applesauce. Sandwich tray from Wally world (actually pretty good). Sushi, nothing but sushi hahaha. Pizza! Costco does good cakes. I say delegate delegate delegate! Here's your assignment, get over it. It sounds like she doesn't know how to say NO.
Have no clue what they will be doing with the turkeys.
A friend that goes to that church thought they were for the shut ins of the church.
But she doesn't know for sure.
But I have the smallest turkey I could find.
Might have been able to get away with turkey breast, but this will be fine.
More for my freezer later.

Yes, weedy, that persimmon and cranberries dish sounds tasty. This year I'm not adding anything new.
Turkey, homemade gravy
Taters, mashed
Dressing balls (very popular but time consuming to make)
Cranberry relish (very simple)
Maybe a salad before the feast. But everything else can be brought by others.

Yes, weedy, that persimmon and cranberries dish sounds tasty. This year I'm not adding anything new.
Turkey, homemade gravy
Taters, mashed
Dressing balls (very popular but time consuming to make)
Cranberry relish (very simple)
Maybe a salad before the feast. But everything else can be brought by others.
Dressing balls? Never heard of those. I am so looking forward to dressing. I have some stale bread drying in the oven now, wheat, so not gluten free. I am probably going to make myself some. I want some gravy to put on top, so I have to figure that out. Maybe a little bacon grease for the roux, and chicken broth for the liquid.

We have Fiesta Foods stores here. Mostly Mexican stuff but every Thanksgiving and Christmas they have a holiday meal deal. We get the $17.99 deal because we don't like the ham that's included in the others.
47_FiestaFoods_1118_PSY_store_s1-1-528x1024.jpg
10-12 pound turkey
5 pounds of potatoes
2 cans of veggies
pack of dinner rolls
pound of margarine

For the past several years we've gotten a boneless turkey breast (or two) and deep fried them. They're absolutely awesome fresh out of the fryer, but the leftovers aren't as good as a regular roast (imo). But that's what the boys really wanted, so that's what they got. :)

This year we're going to forego the deep fryer for the air fryer (it's simpler, tasty, and doesn't require large amounts of expensive peanut oil). Took some extra effort to find a turkey breast, as the local store only had big birds and lots of ham. It's only the three of us here this year, and we just don't need that much bird when you add in all the other parts of the meal. It will be a simple day, but a good one!

Latest posts

Back