Unusual things you do. Others may say "huh?" but you have your reasons

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzoom

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
OK, I'll start with a couple of mine.

I just got done pressure washing some firewood logs (before bucking). My reason - there was all kinds of dirt and small gravel on the outside and embedded into the bark. A few minutes of pressure washing and it's gone. A chainsaw chain will last a very long time if you keep it away from dirt and rocks.

I run a leaf blower over my woods trails. I've been laughed at. My reason - The leaves, sticks and whatever else can pile several inches thick. I'm on very steep hills. If I can't see the dirt of the trail itself, I'm driving on who knows what. Wet leaves in particular will send me sliding down the hill, without traction. I have places with 100' drop-offs that are nearly cliffs. It takes a few hours once or twice a year to clear the 1/2 mile of trails but I'm not going to die because I was sliding on leaves. Having the hidden sticks removed also protect the underside of the UTV, particularly the U-joint boots.

I have to see the appropriate key in my hand before I can pull a locked door shut.

Ben
On that related note, I know my keys on my keychain by their position on the ring.
I have a "reference key" (my JD tractor which is the largest key) on my ring. From there, I can tell by key shape which way to go around the ring and then count keys to know which key I need.

For no particular reason if I am going to take a nap I have to know what time it is first. I have had to get up and look if I forget to check first.🙄
OK, I love a nap but rarely get one. If I feel drowsy during the day, I force myself to go do something to wake myself up.
Why do you need to get up to look at a clock? Do you need another clock so you don't need to go vertical to see what time it is?

I have to check the locks on all the doors at least three times to feel secure in my home.
And check the locks on windows at least twice every night before I retire fore the evening.
Rough neighborhood, we had shooting in front of place couple weeks back.
Did it bother me, well no. But it bothered the hell out of others. Go figure.

I have to check the locks on all the doors at least three times to feel secure in my home.
And check the locks on windows at least twice every night before I retire fore the evening.
Rough neighborhood, we had shooting in front of place couple weeks back.
Did it bother me, well no. But it bothered the hell out of others. Go figure.
Damn. Double damn. Couldn't image living in an area with shootings meant to do harm. Around me, it's just boys having fun with their rifles.

@backlash - You have a thought about keys. Spill it. ;)
I carry 1 key on me. The rest are on a separate ring in the console of my truck.
I also make several (4) spare keys for everything and those are all locked in my gun safe.
I have to put labels on them or I will never figure out what key fits what lock.

Other than building useful stuff out of cast offs. I can't just start a machine to make sure it runs, if it starts it wants to do something useful and what appears to be an adiction to little chinese tractors, Hubie 3 where are you???

I eat peanut butter with a spoon. Otherwise I am completely normal - quit laughing 😂
if you ate it with a fork you get a straight jacket i tell ya !

I cook food for our chickens and turkeys. It takes a good 20 min in the morning just to get everyone's food ready.
when you put transplants in garden you run ya hand across dirt multiple times till its all nice and flat and perty too i would bet...you care about all things under your care with everything you are inside !!

We have one of those rotary carousel things that holds and displays K-Cups for our Keurig coffee maker. It holds about 40 K-cups total. When I take a K-cup out to use it, I am driven to fill the empty slot with a new K-cup from the box in the cabinet. So the carousel is always 100% full.

holder.jpg

I almost always back into a parking spot, if I can't just pull through. I can probably count on my hand the number of times I haven't backed into my garage. Why? Because you never know when you might need a quick get-a-way. Plus in the winter time I don't have to risk getting stuck trying to turn around at the top of the hill. I just need to carefully coast down. I can also easily see any objects that might be in the way, so no fear of backing into anything on my way out.

In parking lots, I back in or make sure I can pull directly out. Not only does it offer a quick get-a-way, but it also makes leaving the parking lot much safer so that I don't risk backing into someone else who might not be paying attention or going too fast in a parking lot. I typically also park far away so that I get some extra steps in and don't have to worry about someone smashing their door into my vehicle.

I suppose I've lots of quirks 😂 I never parallel park if there is traffic behind me; I like to park 'facing out' (partly because I had an old car for years I was afraid would need a push start) I like to put foodstuffs in containers and glass jars just because.
Locally I'm considered weird because of my 'hippy notions' - going barefoot in the summer, making soap powder though leaving work to write and go back to college was the icing on the cake.

Latest posts

Back