Vehicle Bag/Kit

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I saw this on You Tube and thought it was interesting. I keep a pretty substantial kit in my car in a duffel bag in the trunk. For many years I have kept a car kit that I believe will last at least 72 hours. This goes back to my road warrior days when I spent significant amounts of time traveling by car. If I ever got stuck due to weather or SHTF I would be relatively safe in my car. Do you maintain a car kit?

This is prepping 101

I do have a bag, and have for a very long time. But not a large kit, unless I'm traveling a long ways. The risk, and hassle of keeping a large kit in my car, is not worth it for me.

For my AO, I am usually 30 miles at the most from home. My kit is just to get home, over a maximum of three days, or just to hold out for a few hours, until rescue from home.

It only weighs about fifteen pounds.

Now, when traveling further....there is a much different kit I take. On my last multi-state trip, I had hundreds of pounds of gear in my truck. It would have made a pretty substantial INCH kit.....not that I am big on bugging out as a concept.

I'll try to remember to get mine out of the car and take photos. It came from "Emergency Essentials" long ago , when they used to sell useful things, and not just food. Won it at a TMRC conference many moons ago.

Do you maintain a car kit?
Yes, but mostly for maintenance/repair of the vehicle. My GHB weighs less than ten pounds, most of that is ammo and the damn med-kit.

I would love to see pics of the contents of this "essentials" bag!
Teaser shot, I'll do more a little later, getting ready for an appointment to replce our entry door and storm door.
IMG_0809.jpeg

Front pocket: Glow stick, Compass, camper knife, Random plastic bag, space blanket, flashlight, AM/FM radio, Multi-tool, poncho and eating utensils.

Flat maps are in the car, County, state, cincinnati streets, east coast, etc. Also in the car is 2 liters of water, a bottle of power-ade, stop the bleed kit, dog toys and such :p

It has of course been added to over the years, but this is a good time check batteries , etc.

I'll be back :p

IMG_0810.jpeg

Last edited:
The deepest darkest secrets of the car bag:

MRE's. Booney hat, heater packs for the MREs, water filter, some first aid stuff, TP, playing cards, heater pads for cold weather, packets of water, some emergency liquid fuel candle, survival shelter, spare pair of readers.

IMG_0811.jpeg

Not shown, but in the car is a Ruger P345, and 2 magazines in a lockbox, a hoodie, hats, gloves. In the winter I toss in a down sleeping bag.

If lost, pull out the cards, somebody will come along and tell you play the black jack on the red queen :p

Last edited:
Front pocket: Glow stick, Compass, camper knife, Random plastic bag, space blanket, flashlight, AM/FM radio, Multi-tool, poncho and eating utensils.

Flat maps are in the car, County, state, cincinnati streets, east coast, etc. Also in the car is 2 liters of water, a bottle of power-ade, stop the bleed kit, dog toys and such :p

It has of course been added to over the years, but this is a good time check batteries , etc.

I'll be back :p

View attachment 110449
I got all that + extra smokes and a lighter in my arm rest. This MIGHT be a good time to share this:
I've added to it since I first uploaded it. WIP you know.
Ah, apologies, this version is incomplete BUT still useful.

Attachments

• Surviving being homeless chapters1-7.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I got all that + extra smokes and a lighter in my arm rest. This MIGHT be a good time to share this:
I've added to it since I first uploaded it. WIP you know.
Ah, apologies, this version is incomplete BUT still useful.
Every post and thought is useful :). I have an emergency candle/heater and NO WAY TO LIGHT IT. Thank you :). This shall be corrected. I quit smoking cigarettes in 1989. and mostly do not carry a lighter. Have to visit the beer cave and get a bic.

I started this thread, so I thought it would only be fair to take my own advice. I did an inventory of my car kit, and found it to be mostly tools. All of the other essentials are in the car, maybe just not in the same duffel bag. So....
Hammer Machete Tarp
Axe Zip Ties Rain Gear
Saw Plastic Bags Sunscreen
Shovel Duct Tape Bug Spray
Bolt Cutter Paracord Food
Crow Bar Bungee Cords Water
Jumper Cables Blankets x 3 Pillow
Inverter Change of clothes Light Jacket
Gloves Towel
Flares Fleece
Mechanics Tool Kit Hats
Nails Shemaugh

Admittedly, it would take three men and a boy to carry it. Definitely designed to keep in the car, but if I am the guy stranded out there on I-95 when the blizzard hits, I will be just fine until traffic starts moving again.

I started this thread, so I thought it would only be fair to take my own advice. I did an inventory of my car kit, and found it to be mostly tools. All of the other essentials are in the car, maybe just not in the same duffel bag. So....
Hammer Machete Tarp
Axe Zip Ties Rain Gear
Saw Plastic Bags Sunscreen
Shovel Duct Tape Bug Spray
Bolt Cutter Paracord Food
Crow Bar Bungee Cords Water
Jumper Cables Blankets x 3 Pillow
Inverter Change of clothes Light Jacket
Gloves Towel
Flares Fleece
Mechanics Tool Kit Hats
Nails Shemaugh

Admittedly, it would take three men and a boy to carry it. Definitely designed to keep in the car, but if I am the guy stranded out there on I-95 when the blizzard hits, I will be just fine until traffic starts moving again.

Bolt cutter is one of those things I consider a must have.

Even rural places can be pretty cut off, and channelized. But with a bolt cutter....you can solve most travel problems.

Even rural places can be pretty cut off, and channelized. But with a bolt cutter....you can solve most travel problems.
The alternative is a Cordless (Battery) cut off wheel (Grinder).

PS @Morgan101 I don’t know if you ever saw that cartoon Captain Caveman, but whatever they needed be it flashlight, hair comb, hammer whatever, he would scrounge around in his fur and produce it 😂. Not sure why that comes to mind with your car or basement 😉

PS @Morgan101 I don’t know if you ever saw that cartoon Captain Caveman, but whatever they needed be it flashlight, hair comb, hammer whatever, he would scrounge around in his fur and produce it 😂. Not sure why that comes to mind with your car or basement 😉
It's my basement :p. Almost everything can produced from the deepest reaches :D

There is no doubt in my mind you could find whatever you need in one of those two places.

True story. My SIL was having difficulty getting up the front steps of her house. She needed some support/help getting up the first step. She asked my wife if we had a hitching post they could put near that first step. WE HAD ONE!.. You know. The old horse head on a galvanized pole, all painted black.

1687600635958.png

There is no doubt in my mind you could find whatever you need in one of those two places.

True story. My SIL was having difficulty getting up the front steps of her house. She needed some support/help getting up the first step. She asked my wife if we had a hitching post they could put near that first step. WE HAD ONE!.. You know. The old horse head on a galvanized pole, all painted black.

View attachment 110633
I really want to come rumage around in your basement!! I'll bring my own rope😮😉

I really want to come rumage around in your basement!! I'll bring my own rope😮😉

Be careful what you wish for. You never know what you will find. I have every reason to believe Jimmy Hoffa could be buried down there. o_O

+1.. Another: Sillcock key / Filtration / Purification-pak.. (Yanno, for when the hauled-water runs out :) Also, one that will wrench the 'in-ground standpipes', like at muni-parks, etc.. 'Small footprint, Huge ROI'.. :cool: I also carry a Hydrant-wrench - but of course, That would Only be used in really dire situations, but.. If ya ain't Got one, well, the Leatherman prolly ain't gonna help with that.. ;)

@Morgan101 Solid kit.. 👍 I assume there's a full-on 'IFAK', in there as well.. Just didn't see it in the listing, but I'm assuming so-included in the "other essentials". :cool:

Might also consider an impact-wrench / small (but adequate) compressor / hydraulic-jack for Quick tire changes (before the Zombies can catch up.. ;) if not already in the boot.. I've found that Invaluable-kit, a time or two, in-spite of the somewhat 'big footprint'.. Same with spare serpentine / hose/belt/radiator-repair kits, etc, etc, but I'm sure that's 'another list / thread'. :cool:

Fwiw..
jd

@Morgan101 Solid kit.. 👍 I assume there's a full-on 'IFAK', in there as well.. Just didn't see it in the listing, but I'm assuming so-included in the "other essentials". :cool:

Correct. Some of those things I keep in another bag: a Silcock key, extra cash in small denominations and coins, an IFAK. I don't have a hydrant wrench, but I do have a large crescent wrench. I don't have any of the parts to repair the car, but I don't have the mechanical skills to use them. I could only hope a mechanic might happen by to assist.

Latest posts

Back