Venison and other wild game

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Venison can be cooked just like Beef, but remember Venison is Lean so some added Fat Like Bacon or Beef Fat should be added. When I cook Venison in the Crock pot I like to add some Dried Plums (about Six, Halved) or a Hand Full of Dried Cherries. The Fruit turns an ordinary Roast into "Meat Candy". I also trim off any existing Fat as I find it gives an "off" Flavor

My favorite venison recipe
This is my favorite recipe, and it is so good. Be sure to use a heavy pot
with a tight fitting lid. Spray pot with Pam.
1 venison roast, or you can use round steaks.
Sprinkle one package of Lipton Onion Dry Soup mix over top...
Add 1 can cream of Mushroom or you can use Cream of Chicken
salt and pepper as you like
Pour one can of Mountain Dew or Sprite over this.
Bake 225 degrees at least 5-6 hours. DO NOT PEEK. keep the lid
sealed. When you open it, the meat will be tender, you can cut
it with a fork. You will have a thick tasty gravy in the bottom to
use on noodles or mashed potatoes.

I grew up on venisen. I don't ever notice a wild taste.
I am still waiting for a rabbit or deer to have a wild taste.
I guess when you eat it all your life it is just part of the package, meat is not as tender as store bought, no chemicals to make it so.
I know a few hunter that are better than I, at harvesting wild game, they use butter milk & 1000 island dressing on deer, before cooking.

I am still waiting for a rabbit or deer to have a wild taste.
I guess when you eat it all your life it is just part of the package, meat is not as tender as store bought, no chemicals to make it so.
I know a few hunter that are better than I, at harvesting wild game, they use butter milk & 1000 island dressing on deer, before cooking.
Mom always had Season All with tenderizer in it. She pounded the neck out of the steaks or backstrap then chicken fried it. Oh my!! I'm just trying to be a little more health conscious these days..

To be honest most of my venison ends up as ring sausage, summer sausage, deer sticks, deer jerky, etc. What doesn't is usually combined with beef using normal recipes like chili or yankee pot roast, etc. or brined and then used in place of beef. The brining removes any gamey taste it might have.

Venison steak is best braised and eaten rare.
The only time it tastes "off" is when it is not handled properly in the field. Shoot it, gut it, wash the cavity out and cool the meat. If you rupture the diaphragm it will taste bad so place your shot so it doesn't hit the gut. I prefer head and neck shots (130 grain varmint bullet) because there is never any wasted meet. I will use a heavier (165 grain) bullet if I can't get a head or neck shot. I place it just below and behind the shoulder. With both lungs and the heart hit the animal never goes far. To me, it is far more ethical to use the head and neck shots. The animal is dead before it hits the ground.

I started cubing most of my venison into stew meat and pressure canning it last year. I use the canned venison for a root vegetable stew in crock pot with parsnips, sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, celery, spices and herbs (including mustard powder), bay leaf, and a little bacon fat. Canning it makes it very tender. 8 hrs on low in crockpot.

For steaks....
Marinade thick cut steaks with sweet thai chili sauce, mustard powder, soy sauce, worschester, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and blk pepper over night and sear rare. Mmmmm.

Lipton onion soup also makes a good base flavor especially when serving with wild rice.

I second sheepdog with meat care in field. Very important. And I also soak in water with vinegar for 15 minutes. This draws out the blood and any "wild" taste (which doesnt bother me but my wife didnt grow up eating venison).

The venison that I can is cut in strips to fit the jars or the small bits that make up a lot of the meat that is cut from the bones is cubed and canned for soups and stews. I have to say that venison is my preferred meat and the only time I add fat to it is for sausage or burger. Mixing venison with a small amount of bear makes great sausage and for burgers I mix it with beef hamburger.

I dressed out a deer this morning. I cut the tenderloin out and cut a hunk off, cut a green oak branch and speared the meat on it. Then set it over the fire(it was 5° this morning. -6° with the wind chill). It was so good I did a second hunk!

Well the hubs grilled back strap tonight, but he got it somewhat too done. His vision is not the best esp if the light is fading. It tasted good but was a little dry. Baked potato, corn (for me he doesn't like it) , home canned gran beans and home made pickled beats. Mostly very good!

When I make venison roast in tbe crockpot I always use french onion soup to pour over it. It gives the best flavor!!! Then I use the juices the next day to cook some pinto beans. They with leftover roast are SO good!!!!!

I love French onion soup on about any kind of roast! I also add a can of mushroom soup. Yummy!

For my 50 years venison has been a mainstay of my diet. We have always done our own butchering we cut roasts, steaks, stew meat, frying meat and burger. Over the last few years I've taken more of interest in cooking and that also made me think about how I butcher. The first photo is a bone in chop au poivre and the second is bacon weaved apricot glazed loin. Most of my life I would have fried those pieces of meat with fried potatoes and some biscuits and gravy not saying that that isn't a fantastic meal but for me I won't ever treat those cuts like that again.

my chops.jpg

my loin.jpg

Don't forget that bear hams cure up just like pork hams and bear lard is used like pork lard and highly praised for pie crusts!

One precaution with bear, don't take one that has been eating fish if you intend to eat it. Fish flavored bear is really nasty.

Latest posts

Back