VenomJockey, in for Pessimistic2.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warm Welcome from the Arizona Valley Folks. Dead Eye and bear meat, Caverns and hidden trails. Hope you and your son do well at the Retreat. Give Pess my best and I hope he emails me when he is up to it. Cousin has the email address and you are welcome to write too. Pess shared a bit of info about you and your fast draw. LOL.

Well, well, if it ain't the Desert Rat....er, Lizard, I mean! Hey, that grizzly wasn't laughing at my fast draw!! Damn, I thought we were never gonna run outta bear meat! Well, actually, we didn't...got the last of it scattered around in bait stations monitored by trail cams (batteries long dead, I'm sure). We are changing the plans for moving into Pess's Retreat...skipping the animals, going with the greenhouses. There's enough game around there to feed an army for a century, it's fresh veggies we need. Other than chickens (got to have eggs) and ducks, and MAYBE rabbits, there won't be any animals. Unless a miracle takes place, Pess won't be back on any Forum....says he has no memory of anyone, and would be completely lost. I might add that with his change in SHTF attitude, he probably doesn't see much point to it anyway.... The change is profound...I don't like it, but what can I say, I didn't have brain surgery and lose 30 years in the process, either...he did, and that's that. I will be glad to get back out there, though...if I stayed here a couple years, I'd be so fat I wouldn't fit in the cockpit.....Cousin can COOK!!! And I mean COOK!!! And don't you be laughing at my fast draw, Lizard....I been known to practice on 'em, they ain't THAT speedy! Lizards, that is... Take care...later!

Welcome to the forum from Clifton Tennessee! Roll Tide! I'm originally from Alabama, but just have moved to southern Tennessee. I really enjoy it here although it's not Alabama.
I am new to this type of forum so please impart with some of your knowledge. I didn't know Pess, but I put him and you on my prayer list. Cancer doesn't care who it strikes.

Wasn't cancer, Gumpy. Some kind of fatty tumor, causing him to pass out at odd times...not that that's much better, but it wasn't cancerous. Alabama WAS ok, until this cold front moved in...24 degrees right now, high for today 37. Jesus, this is the South?? I shoulda stayed in Denver!!

Welcome to the forum from Clifton Tennessee! Roll Tide! I'm originally from Alabama, but just have moved to southern Tennessee. I really enjoy it here although it's not Alabama.
I am new to this type of forum so please impart with some of your knowledge. I didn't know Pess, but I put him and you on my prayer list. Cancer doesn't care who it strikes.

Don't know about the "knowledge" part....never been on a Forum before, either, and wouldn't be here now if Pess's Cousin hadn't practically tied me to the computer and told me to let people know what was going on. I'm just an old retired military guy, turned sheep rancher, turned BOL caretaker, thanks to Pess. What I know about "survivalism" you could probably put in a thimble and have room left over for the dogs.

Welcome @VenomJockey from Australia and glad you found your way here and send our best wishes to Pess too :D .

Australia? Well, well...ran into a few of your guys in the military, can't say as I'd much care to have 'em after me! Right rowdy bunch, they were!

Welcome aboard and thank you so much for your service! While I was not military, my brothers and dad were. Dad, WW2 and the bros were 'Nam.
I wasn't privileged to know Press, I know it's a difficult thing to see a friend struggle. I am a nurse and have seen it many times. My hubs, while not severe, struggles with memory related to a stroke this past summer.

Welcome VenomJockey. I'm sure you'll find your nitch here. I love the thought of flying helos. I only have had one ride in one, (a bell jet ranger) and loved it.

So, occasionally you can tell a flying story for me to read.

Welcome from Missouri VenomJockey, I am so Sorry to hear about Pess, him and I were good Friends. I understand his Situation, as my Dad had Three Brain Tumors removed many Years ago. He also lost much of his Memory, and was a completely different Person after Surgery, he was no longer my Dad...I hope Pess recovers his Memory, and even if he doesn't remember, he still has Friends here who care about him. I know it won't mean much to him, but give him our best wishes. Our Hearts and Prayers go out to him.

Welcome from Missouri VenomJockey, I am so Sorry to hear about Pess, him and I were good Friends. I understand his Situation, as my Dad had Three Brain Tumors removed many Years ago. He also lost much of his Memory, and was a completely different Person after Surgery, he was no longer my Dad...I hope Pess recovers his Memory, and even if he doesn't remember, he still has Friends here who care about him. I know it won't mean much to him, but give him our best wishes. Our Hearts and Prayers go out to him.

Camo, I second this.:great:

Well, well, if it ain't the Desert Rat....er, Lizard, I mean! Hey, that grizzly wasn't laughing at my fast draw!! Damn, I thought we were never gonna run outta bear meat! Well, actually, we didn't...got the last of it scattered around in bait stations monitored by trail cams (batteries long dead, I'm sure). We are changing the plans for moving into Pess's Retreat...skipping the animals, going with the greenhouses. There's enough game around there to feed an army for a century, it's fresh veggies we need. Other than chickens (got to have eggs) and ducks, and MAYBE rabbits, there won't be any animals. Unless a miracle takes place, Pess won't be back on any Forum....says he has no memory of anyone, and would be completely lost. I might add that with his change in SHTF attitude, he probably doesn't see much point to it anyway.... The change is profound...I don't like it, but what can I say, I didn't have brain surgery and lose 30 years in the process, either...he did, and that's that. I will be glad to get back out there, though...if I stayed here a couple years, I'd be so fat I wouldn't fit in the cockpit.....Cousin can COOK!!! And I mean COOK!!! And don't you be laughing at my fast draw, Lizard....I been known to practice on 'em, they ain't THAT speedy! Lizards, that is... Take care...later!

Dead Eye, First, Lizard Man does not do standup gun fights. We be like Ma Bell, reach out and touch somebody LONG DISTANCE. :eyeballs: So are you going with just with the basic Greenhouse , the Hydroponic Greenhouse or the Aquaponic Greenhouse? I am not sure why Pess wanted the goats, except for milk. He had a strong liking for ice cream. The eggs are important, not sure about the rabbits. I don't know if you can grow enough of the right food or free range the rabbits. I am sure there is somebody on the forum to help with information on the care and feeding of rabbits. I know we have plenty of folks that can tell you all about chickens and ducks.

I do thank you for standing by Pess. I know he thought the world of you. He did actually trust you with his life and that says a ton. I miss our offline conversations and wild planning sessions for the SHTF events. He was always complaining about my finding ways for him to spend his money. Take care and I will chat at you later.

Welcome aboard and thank you so much for your service! While I was not military, my brothers and dad were. Dad, WW2 and the bros were 'Nam.
I wasn't privileged to know Press, I know it's a difficult thing to see a friend struggle. I am a nurse and have seen it many times. My hubs, while not severe, struggles with memory related to a stroke this past summer.

Strokes are no fun, either, and in some ways may be even worse than the surgery Pess had. Hope your husband recovers fully!

Welcome to the board! We're glad to have you here! We will keep Pes in our prayers. Y'all are awesome for sticking with him through this time. We'll keep you all in our prayers too.

Like glue. Friends don't desert friends...I don't give a **** what happens, if he needs me I'll be there. And so will his cousin, the bounty hunter and his brother.

Welcome VJ, I'll keep Pess in my prayers. I hope you have some good chopper stories, I always liked riding in them when I was in the Corps.

You may be familiar with the Venom then...it's just an upgraded Huey, but the Corps used them even more than the Army.

Well, you know the drill then. Yes, it is like he is a different person in many ways, especially his outlook on the SHTF possibilities. But as he gets caught up on what's been taking place in he last three decades, that may change...."his world" right now, is not the world of today, and once he studies a little "history," his attitude may well change! Thanks for your prayers...not much on religion, but it can't hurt!

Dead Eye, First, Lizard Man does not do standup gun fights. We be like Ma Bell, reach out and touch somebody LONG DISTANCE. :eyeballs: So are you going with just with the basic Greenhouse , the Hydroponic Greenhouse or the Aquaponic Greenhouse? I am not sure why Pess wanted the goats, except for milk. He had a strong liking for ice cream. The eggs are important, not sure about the rabbits. I don't know if you can grow enough of the right food or free range the rabbits. I am sure there is somebody on the forum to help with information on the care and feeding of rabbits. I know we have plenty of folks that can tell you all about chickens and ducks.

I do thank you for standing by Pess. I know he thought the world of you. He did actually trust you with his life and that says a ton. I miss our offline conversations and wild planning sessions for the SHTF events. He was always complaining about my finding ways for him to spend his money. Take care and I will chat at you later.

Yeah, we had some conversations about you spending his hard earned cash!! He's still an ice cream freak...goes through a couple gallons a week, don't see how he does it!! Greenhouses...likely hydro, we can pump water from the stream, but I guess that would work for aqua, too. Main problem is just figuring out how much food we'll actually need during a year. Pess wanted the goats for making ice cream...me, I'm not that crazy about ice cream.

BTW, Mr. Lizard...Ma Bell has nothing on a Venom....Pess's brother has found me a couple nice little toys that'll mount right up, and the Venom was designed for reaching out and touching something. You see an all-black Venom flying around the valley, beware, may be hunting lizards!!
images.jpg

Yeah, we had some conversations about you spending his hard earned cash!! He's still an ice cream freak...goes through a couple gallons a week, don't see how he does it!! Greenhouses...likely hydro, we can pump water from the stream, but I guess that would work for aqua, too. Main problem is just figuring out how much food we'll actually need during a year. Pess wanted the goats for making ice cream...me, I'm not that crazy about ice cream.

BTW, Mr. Lizard...Ma Bell has nothing on a Venom....Pess's brother has found me a couple nice little toys that'll mount right up, and the Venom was designed for reaching out and touching something. You see an all-black Venom flying around the valley, beware, may be hunting lizards!!
View attachment 1754

That all be true but we have the advantage to blend (chameleon) in and disappear. You fly high and have all those cool upgrades. Just remember what goes up, must come down and the critter folks own the ground. Cold blooded and your IR is worthless. You maybe a Dead Eye shot and faster than blue blazes but not super sonic. Lizard hunts can be very unhealthy. :angie: Just remember -- Venom's, just like Jet rangers have wiring and critters have been know to chew up wiring. :cry:

Now ease of operation, I would vote for hydroponics. Aquaponics is a more complete system but will require more attention to details and better controls. Hydroponics will require a water type / soluble fertilizer and I don't know if you can make your own or would have to stock pile. We got folks on site that can answer those questions. The Greenhouse design and assembly will also be a consideration. High and low temp must be factored and ease of transport. I know you got more cargo space than the Jet Ranger, but it is not unlimited. You are going to need a heating system and possibly a cooling system too. I forget The highs at the "Retreat", I know I will have to have a cooling system for the "Tin Hat House" Greenhouse. 120 plus is a bit too much for most plants.

Now as to the amount of food. 1) How many people will be headed for the"Retreat" --- Don't answer, it is just a factor to consider. 2) How many years / seasons of food storage -- canned, dehydrated, frozen, jerked /cured, and fresh? 3) What nutrition values are you going to need to grow? What medicinal value crops are you going to grow? These are some of the topics you should raise on the forum and get input from the many resident experts.

Now I know about your defensive weaponry (hand held and such) From your Avatar, I assume you and Pess did get the Fostec shotguns. Last but not least in the weapon classification, how long do you think you will have to stay at the retreat? Months, years or decades? Stock piling is going to a requirement for you. No barter system where you are going.

Man, there's a lot to this stuff. I'm just to old to be starting a bug out hole. I'll just go down in a blaze of gunfire and a prayer on my lips.

That all be true but we have the advantage to blend (chameleon) in and disappear. You fly high and have all those cool upgrades. Just remember what goes up, must come down and the critter folks own the ground. Cold blooded and your IR is worthless. You maybe a Dead Eye shot and faster than blue blazes but not super sonic. Lizard hunts can be very unhealthy. :angie: Just remember -- Venom's, just like Jet rangers have wiring and critters have been know to chew up wiring. :cry:

Now ease of operation, I would vote for hydroponics. Aquaponics is a more complete system but will require more attention to details and better controls. Hydroponics will require a water type / soluble fertilizer and I don't know if you can make your own or would have to stock pile. We got folks on site that can answer those questions. The Greenhouse design and assembly will also be a consideration. High and low temp must be factored and ease of transport. I know you got more cargo space than the Jet Ranger, but it is not unlimited. You are going to need a heating system and possibly a cooling system too. I forget The highs at the "Retreat", I know I will have to have a cooling system for the "Tin Hat House" Greenhouse. 120 plus is a bit too much for most plants.

Now as to the amount of food. 1) How many people will be headed for the"Retreat" --- Don't answer, it is just a factor to consider. 2) How many years / seasons of food storage -- canned, dehydrated, frozen, jerked /cured, and fresh? 3) What nutrition values are you going to need to grow? What medicinal value crops are you going to grow? These are some of the topics you should raise on the forum and get input from the many resident experts.

Now I know about your defensive weaponry (hand held and such) From your Avatar, I assume you and Pess did get the Fostec shotguns. Last but not least in the weapon classification, how long do you think you will have to stay at the retreat? Months, years or decades? Stock piling is going to a requirement for you. No barter system where you are going.

Well, of the Lizard hunting hazards you listed, you got me on the wiring...Lord, there are MILES of wire in that thing! I suppose I could stock up on Lizard Deterrent (Ice Cream seems to do the trick, from what Pess used to tell me...something about a stash...), but then I'd have to install a cooling system just for that...not worth it. Yes we got the Fostechs...even the bounty hunter has one now. Cut loose with all three of them, and the few neighbors all come running out of their places to see what's going down!!

Food storage...two years tops, spoilage would be a factor after that. Nutrition values...well, near as I can tell, for the lifestyle, you're talking 3,500 - 4,000 calories a day minimum, and 5,000 wouldn't be out of the question. Unfortunately veggies don't come with high calorie counts, so I'm kind of at a loss there. Pess has two external HDD's full of medicinal plants, home remedies, DIY manuals, etc., etc., but we can't get into them...he doesn't remember the damn password, and I'm not a hacker!! Probably going to have to start from scratch and set up my own external HDD and begin loading it up with that stuff off the Internet and Forum. Highs in the summer can hit 90-95, lows in the winter can be -20.

The Venom has a little more cargo room, yes, but his brother's Chinook will do the heavy lifting and large quantity deliveries. BTW, his brother is getting up there in age, too, and says he is going to retire in 2020, and MAYBE join us at the Retreat with his family. Lord knows there's enough room for all...that place is huge! I don't know if Pess ever described it to you, but if you can picture a huge hunting resort, that's pretty much on track. As for staying at the Retreat, when my son and I head back out that way and get everything organized, built, installed, civilization will probably never see our ugly faces again, with the exception of an occasional resupply/shopping run. I'm so tired of what passes for "civilization" it isn't even funny, and my son is of the same mind. He (son), who has been here less than TWO WEEKS, has already had two run-ins with thugs at the area's WALMART, and even though the crackheads ended up going to jail, it was touch and go whether he would have to shoot them. I do not like the Mobile area, but it isn't just Mobile...all the medium-large cities are turning into nothing but cesspools, and that's all I'll say about that. BTW, it isn't geared to "fast draw," but I now have a brand new SR9c Ruger (in 9mm) with the Uni-Max Laser....nice little semi-auto, easier to conceal than my long barrel .44 mag, or the .357!!

Pess is looking for a couple hundred acres up near the lake, so he can stick a double wide on the backside of it. When he gets settled, that's likely when my son and I will head for the Retreat. Pess's cousin, bounty hunter, and Pess's "adopted kids" will all be looking out for him...and of course he has the dogs, cameras, and artillery.

Damn, I thought we were never gonna run outta bear meat! Well, actually, we didn't...got the last of it scattered around in bait sk out there, though...if I stayed here a couple years, I'd be so fat I wouldn't fit in the cockpit.....Cousin can COOK!!! And I mean COOK!!! And don't you be laughing at my fast draw, Lizard....I been known to practice on 'em, they ain't THAT speedy! Lizards, that is... Take care...later!

That's what Pess was always saying. He liked telling us what she was making for dinner.

@VenomJockey funny you should mention the Australian military guys, and by the way that is apt description, my husband is ex Australian military pensioned off from injuries he received.

He describes our military guys like this they are like a cross between pit bulls and blood hounds after a pigs ear :D . From what I have heard most in the world are frightened of the Australian military guys in combat and Australians in general. If you want to know what it is like to upset an Australian google the "Cronulla riots".

DH wanted to know what years you served out of interest, although he never did work with any American helicopter pilots.

Thanks for your service too.

Well, of the Lizard hunting hazards you listed, you got me on the wiring...Lord, there are MILES of wire in that thing! I suppose I could stock up on Lizard Deterrent (Ice Cream seems to do the trick, from what Pess used to tell me...something about a stash...), but then I'd have to install a cooling system just for that...not worth it. Yes we got the Fostechs...even the bounty hunter has one now. Cut loose with all three of them, and the few neighbors all come running out of their places to see what's going down!!

Food storage...two years tops, spoilage would be a factor after that. Nutrition values...well, near as I can tell, for the lifestyle, you're talking 3,500 - 4,000 calories a day minimum, and 5,000 wouldn't be out of the question. Unfortunately veggies don't come with high calorie counts, so I'm kind of at a loss there. Pess has two external HDD's full of medicinal plants, home remedies, DIY manuals, etc., etc., but we can't get into them...he doesn't remember the damn password, and I'm not a hacker!! Probably going to have to start from scratch and set up my own external HDD and begin loading it up with that stuff off the Internet and Forum. Highs in the summer can hit 90-95, lows in the winter can be -20.

The Venom has a little more cargo room, yes, but his brother's Chinook will do the heavy lifting and large quantity deliveries. BTW, his brother is getting up there in age, too, and says he is going to retire in 2020, and MAYBE join us at the Retreat with his family. Lord knows there's enough room for all...that place is huge! I don't know if Pess ever described it to you, but if you can picture a huge hunting resort, that's pretty much on track. As for staying at the Retreat, when my son and I head back out that way and get everything organized, built, installed, civilization will probably never see our ugly faces again, with the exception of an occasional resupply/shopping run. I'm so tired of what passes for "civilization" it isn't even funny, and my son is of the same mind. He (son), who has been here less than TWO WEEKS, has already had two run-ins with thugs at the area's WALMART, and even though the crackheads ended up going to jail, it was touch and go whether he would have to shoot them. I do not like the Mobile area, but it isn't just Mobile...all the medium-large cities are turning into nothing but cesspools, and that's all I'll say about that. BTW, it isn't geared to "fast draw," but I now have a brand new SR9c Ruger (in 9mm) with the Uni-Max Laser....nice little semi-auto, easier to conceal than my long barrel .44 mag, or the .357!!

Pess is looking for a couple hundred acres up near the lake, so he can stick a double wide on the backside of it. When he gets settled, that's likely when my son and I will head for the Retreat. Pess's cousin, bounty hunter, and Pess's "adopted kids" will all be looking out for him...and of course he has the dogs, cameras, and artillery.

Well the "Stash Cooling System" would be good insurance from wiring mishaps. You just never know about them critters and ice cream withdrawal. :dunno: Pess had an I.T. guy and I am betting he can and will have password hacking software and can and will produce the passwords. Could save a ton of time and I am also willing to bet Pess used a password that is an actual word or phrase, like Jet Ranger or SHTF spelled out. Just a guess but that would make the password search easy ad much faster.

Now the Greenhouse will probably not need a cooling system but it is going to need a heating system. A simple heat pump with a dual ducting system will cover both possibilities. Solar panel on green house and battery & controls installed next to greenhouse will take care of the power requirements. Backup generator for redundancy and oops. Crop rotation is going to be a key feature in your planning. Different seasons for different crops and different crop purposes. Crops for nutrition and vitamins. Crops for herbs and spices. Well you get the idea and there are many folks on this forum who can and will help you plan it all out. Bee keeping would be good for both medicinal and caloric count.

The Ruger is a nice concealed carry pistol and yes most definitely easier to conceal than the 44 mag or a 357. Glad you all got your Fostechs. As for the cities, I have to agree they are not user friendly. I carry at all time, even in my home. I am too old to run and too tired to fight, I will just follow Redbeards 3 S's. There is a lot of vacant desert land. We don't have the wild hogs that Texas has, so we have to do a bit of shovel work. Pess had the concept for the "Retreat" to become an isolated compound and my concept for the "THH" was designed to be a livable fortress compound. Pess and I had many a discussion of the pro & con of each concept. The cities will become a war zone or at least area's will become No Go" zones where even the police will not enter, like parts of London and parts of Germany. I don't think it is going to happen in my life time but I do think it may happen withing my children's life time. I hope it holds off until my grand children's lifetime, so more can be done and planned for. As I see it, rural living will not be enough. If a ranch or farm is not designed and structured as a fortress, then it will not survive. Today's farms and ranches all require the owners to expose themselves to capture or ambushes. I don't think the danger will be from the big cities, I think it will come from the locals who did not plan ahead but know where the food is raised or grown. The city folks will be too busy stealing and killing each other to head for the country folks. The local drug dealers and petty crooks and just the unprepared will start stealing and killing their neighbors for the food and supplies they need to survive. Granted not a pretty picture and probably not appreciated by many on this forum. Too gloomy and depressing.

I am curious how the "Kids" construction project is coming along/ I would also like an update as how the Cousns's project is doing. So many topics left in the air. I wonder how the final design for their place turned out. I advocated for a more fortress type layout and they were leaning towards a more typical farm / ranch approach. I am not too excited about Pess moving into a simple double wide, without adequate special features. Life is strange, Pess going from "Isolated Retreat", to double wide, lakeside retirement home. Well that is enough for tonight and too much for the forum. Chat at you again.

@VenomJockey funny you should mention the Australian military guys, and by the way that is apt description, my husband is ex Australian military pensioned off from injuries he received.

He describes our military guys like this they are like a cross between pit bulls and blood hounds after a pigs ear :D . From what I have heard most in the world are frightened of the Australian military guys in combat and Australians in general. If you want to know what it is like to upset an Australian google the "Cronulla riots".

DH wanted to know what years you served out of interest, although he never did work with any American helicopter pilots.

Thanks for your service too.

The Aussies are just plain nuts. The saying,"Give no quarter," was invented for them, I think!! OUR military could take a few lessons from them. Or, perhaps more accurately, our POLITICIANS could take a few lessons!

I was in from '69 - '94, CWO W4, helo pilot all the way. Retired, started a sheep ranch, worked that until Pess convinced me to take up with him (again) and join him at his "Retreat." Now I've sold the ranch, and will be Pess's "BOL Caretaker" so to speak. I've known Pess for more years than I care to think about. You couldn't ask for a better friend. Just knocks me out seeing him lose 30 years. Recently purchased a surplus Venom in pretty decent shape, had a complete overhaul/rebuild on the turbines done, new flat screen avionics, FLIR, new radar, a few goodies I can't mention, courtesy of Pess's brother, new paint, all that good stuff. Let's just say if the SHTF rolls around, I have a surprise or two for any would-be invaders!

Tell your DH that I tip my hat to him and I hate to hear he acquired a few scars along the way. Don't know if he's a beer man, but have a Fosters on me!! (Be a little easier on him than Tusk or the Ghost in the Machine!)

Latest posts

Back