Weather proof padlock suggestions please

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lock I have had on my shed is frozen shut. It is a Master Lock rated for the weather but it is 20 or more years old now.

Do you have recommendations on good padlocks rated for outdoor use?

Thank you

Ben
Probably better to remember the other 19 years :rolleyes:.
They have been improved since then. The longer shackle was long overdue.:)
I bought a 3-pack of these keyed-alike locks when we moved down here. Plenty of keys included with them.
2 of them have been living out in the weather, securing my trailer for 5 years and they still work great.:thumbs:
Buy a 3-pack, put 2 in storage, and they will last until they close the casket lid onya'.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock-3-Pack-1-785-in-Laminated-Stainless-Steel-Shackle-Keyed-Padlock/50371798
04480448.jpg

Whats an "inner tube" ? :brewing:🤣🤣🤣
Look it up in an old set of Encyclopedia Britanica. In the meantime flow propane back and forth over it, then try WD-40 to displace the water, after you get it unlocked.

This is an interesting question, or thread topic, Neb. The entrance to my basement is on the outside of my home, and in the alleyway. It is possible for someone to break in if they were determined enough. I have two hasps with padlocks on the door.

Because we were have a polar vortex and it was subzero weather, my furnace wasn't working and I needed to get into the basement to access the furnace. When the furnace guy came on Monday, I went to open the padlocks and the keys would not work. They were likely frozen shut. I got out bolt cutters, cut off the padlocks. I have extra padlocks, so I used them. I needed to get into the basement to access the furnace and I couldn't wait for the locks to thaw.

Tri-Flow is the locksmith's secret weapon.
It will free up the lock for you @Neb and it should last another 20 years.
General Electric has a special lubricant they use on the door seals into an MRI machine.
Once the label gets saturated with the spray you can read the Tri-Flow label underneath.
I tried "Lock-Ease" (graphite based product) but it is still stuck.

Ben

General Electric has a special lubricant they use on the door seals into an MRI machine.
Once the label gets saturated with the spray you can read the Tri-Flow label underneath.
Thanks, always looking for a better penetrant. I ordered some to try out. I like PB, but Kroil is the best, so far. I still won't abandon WD-40.

This is an interesting question, or thread topic, Neb. The entrance to my basement is on the outside of my home, and in the alleyway. It is possible for someone to break in if they were determined enough. I have two hasps with padlocks on the door.

Because we were have a polar vortex and it was subzero weather, my furnace wasn't working and I needed to get into the basement to access the furnace. When the furnace guy came on Monday, I went to open the padlocks and the keys would not work. They were likely frozen shut. I got out bolt cutters, cut off the padlocks. I have extra padlocks, so I used them. I needed to get into the basement to access the furnace and I couldn't wait for the locks to thaw.
I have bolt cutters as well as a battery powered cut off tool that I would resort to if required. But I am cheap when possible and will put off cutting it until after the temps rise above freezing. I was just looking for my snow shovel but got by with just a broom.

Ben

Last edited:
Re: Tri-flow

Does it work with frozen locks?

Spray or dripper version?

Ben

But it is really not as cold there as it is further north.
The last four years we have had artic air and ice storms. In 2021 we had ice and well below freezing temps for over two weeks. NO, not as cold all winter! But the simple zipper bags keep the moisture out of the locks! That's what we did up home when I was a kid and winter was ALL winter!

Re: Tri-flow

Does it work with frozen locks?

Spray or dripper version?

Ben
I can't promise it will work on frozen locks but I would be surprised if it didn't.
Spray would get into more places faster I would think.
I keep both on hand.
A really good penetrating lube is ATF transmission fluid mixed with acetone mixed 50/50.
My nephew could not get his Dodge pickup front end apart. He tried everything including heat.
Finally an old mechanic told him about the transmission acetone mix.
He soaked the parts and the next morning they came apart with every little effort.

I have bolt cutters as well as a battery powered cut off tool that I would resort to if required. But I am cheap when possible and will put off cutting it until after the temps rise above freezing. I was just looking for my snow shovel but got by with just a broom.

Ben
I get that. It was cold and the furnace guy needed to get into the basement. If I couldn't let him in, my pipes could have frozen and who knows when I could have gotten my furnace repaired.

Ben
Lock-Ease is a graphite lubricant. It will not get past any ice but it will abrade the lock mechanism over time. If your problem is rust I suggest Weedy's idea, bolt cutters. Considering the price of a lock and the time involved this might be the best idea so far.

If it is frozen a heat gun/hair drier is an option. Heat the key with a torch, put it in the lock, repeat till it thaws enough to turn the lock. It will take a few attempts as the lock weighs more than the key. You might try windshield deicer.

I can't promise it will work on frozen locks but I would be surprised if it didn't.
Spray would get into more places faster I would think.
I keep both on hand.
A really good penetrating lube is ATF transmission fluid mixed with acetone mixed 50/50.
My nephew could not get his Dodge pickup front end apart. He tried everything including heat.
Finally an old mechanic told him about the transmission acetone mix.
He soaked the parts and the next morning they came apart with every little effort.
I may try that concoction tomorrow.

Ben

The lock I have had on my shed is frozen shut. It is a Master Lock rated for the weather but it is 20 or more years old now.

Do you have recommendations on good padlocks rated for outdoor use?

Thank you

Ben
My gate lock gets frozen ever so often..i just tip it up and blow in keyhole....dont know if this has anything to do with it but i put olive oil down keyhole etc. and work key and U part a bunch of times once a year.

coldest it gets here is -15f.

Lock-Ease is a graphite lubricant. It will not get past any ice but it will abrade the lock mechanism over time. If your problem is rust I suggest Weedy's idea, bolt cutters. Considering the price of a lock and the time involved this might be the best idea so far.

If it is frozen a heat gun/hair drier is an option. Heat the key with a torch, put it in the lock, repeat till it thaws enough to turn the lock. It will take a few attempts as the lock weighs more than the key. You might try windshield deicer.
I will cache that idea for more desperate times.

Thank you

Ben

Ben
I use a high quality gun oil by Steel Shield, works for a long time as it seems to stay in the lock even under heavy weather conditions and it doesn't get gummy.

I've used a soda can to open a pad lock several times, it's not difficult, see below.

In the mean time... is it frozen only because of the temperature? Have you tried clipping a curling iron to the lock shackle? Takes a few minutes but will melt ice inside the lock.

---------------------------------------
How to Shim Open Padlocks - soda can shims

If it is corroded you have one problem. If it is full of frozen water you must thaw the water either with heat or chemically. A teapot full of boiling water, torch (already rejected), blow drier, jet heater, arctic windshield washer fluid, windshield deicer, pee on it, whatever works.

pour WD-40 on an ice cube, it won't thaw it.

...I'd heat that lock up alright, with an oxy-acetylene torch.:waiting:
Done in 6 seconds:thumbs:. Guaranteed!
20 years ago it was an $8 lock, time to let it go.
Not worth 4 hours of labor to try to save it.:(

Latest posts

Back