Weather proof padlock suggestions please

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here, we have outdoor padlocks. They are waterproof with a rubber stopper over the key hole. I have no idea about the brand but they are pretty much the same.

We keep larger spray cans of lock de icer in every vehicle and small pocket sized ones in our pockets for when the door locks freeze up.

That usually only happens with freezing rain.

If the problem is frozen moisture inside the lock, plain old alcohol might work. We sometimes spray a 50/50 mix of alcohol/water on our windshield when it's covered with ice. If it's the thin frozen frost type of ice, the alcohol eats it right off. If it's that thick killer ice, then the alcohol alone doesn't cut it, but it does soften it a bit and make it easier for a scraper to get it. I guess you could try dipping your frozen lock in a cup of alcohol for 30 seconds or so. I don't see how that would hurt the lock. And it might help.

Have you tried an automotive store or Commercial Trucking supplies? I know they make locks for trailers that would only be used outside in every weather imaginable.

I buy new locks every year in the 3 pack. Some arsehole hunter cuts my lock off the gate down at the county road every year, and I need all 3 locks keyed the same.
We have 3 gates between the county road and our place. During winter I squirt some alcohol in the lock down by the road. I leave the other 2 gates open all winter.

The lock I have had on my shed is frozen shut. It is a Master Lock rated for the weather but it is 20 or more years old now.

Do you have recommendations on good padlocks rated for outdoor use?

Thank you

Ben
Two thoughts.

1. Grab the very end of the key with a vice grip. Heat the key with a propane torch. Repeat.

2. Pour 90% alcohol in the shackle and in the key hole. Tap it with a hammer. Repeat.

Use the inner tube cover to prevent future events.

I buy new locks every year in the 3 pack. Some arsehole hunter cuts my lock off the gate down at the county road every year, and I need all 3 locks keyed the same.
We have 3 gates between the county road and our place. During winter I squirt some alcohol in the lock down by the road. I leave the other 2 gates open all winter.
Buy an Abus Discus padlock. Master Lock makes a copy cat version, also.

Two thoughts.

1. Grab the very end of the key with a vice grip. Heat the key with a propane torch. Repeat.

2. Pour 90% alcohol in the shackle and in the key hole. Tap it with a hammer. Repeat.

Use the inner tube cover to prevent future events.
I've heated my key with a lighter a few times and keep working it in the slot. Takes a while but it works

Buy an Abus Discus padlock. Master Lock makes a copy cat version, also.
I've never heard of them before. I'll try looking them up. The problem is I don't want to spend too much money on a lock because just about every year some effen hunter will cut the lock off my lower gate. Then I have to replace all my locks to keep them keyed the same.

I've never heard of them before. I'll try looking them up. The problem is I don't want to spend too much money on a lock because just about every year some effen hunter will cut the lock off my lower gate. Then I have to replace all my locks to keep them keyed the same.
That's the point of the Discus locks. It is extremely difficult to cut. The cutter can't get to the bolt. Shooting doesn't work either ( although you may not be able to unlock it if they shoot it. Not cheap though. $40 from Amazon. Master Lock version is about $18.

Attachments

• tmp.jpg
    tmp.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
After letting the Lock-Ease work for 24 hours the lock opened up fine. I retired the old one. The new weather rated Master Lock get a good squirt of Lock-Ease before I put it in place.

When the weather warms a bit, I add the inner tube flap.

Ben

That's the point of the Discus locks. It is extremely difficult to cut. The cutter can't get to the bolt. Shooting doesn't work either ( although you may not be able to unlock it if they shoot it. Not cheap though. $40 from Amazon. Master Lock version is about $18.
That was the style of lock the Navy used to lock- up confidential file cabinets.

Ben

OK. I know what they are now, I had a couple of these on our storage unit before. I don't think they'd work on our lower gate because we share it with the Forest Service. We we put our lock through theirs. So the lock needs a fairly long reach.
If I ever caught the POS hunter cutting my lock, I guarantee that he'd never cut another lock.

A camera, such as a game camera, would be one way to figure out who is doing that.

Just an interesting bit of lock information!! I dable in locksmithing, a mentor of mine enlightened me to this many years ago. Most brand name padlocks are keyed the same! Master Lock has six different keys....you can use your Master Lock key in MANY different Master Locks! The Master Lock key that opens our storage sheds also opens Hubby's hitch lock on his truck! The key to our front gate used to open a former neighbor's gate! Their lock was not a Master Lock! So there is your scary thought for the day!!😉

Just an interesting bit of lock information!! I dable in locksmithing, a mentor of mine enlightened me to this many years ago. Most brand name padlocks are keyed the same! Master Lock has six different keys....you can use your Master Lock key in MANY different Master Locks! The Master Lock key that opens our storage sheds also opens Hubby's hitch lock on his truck! The key to our front gate used to open a former neighbor's gate! Their lock was not a Master Lock! So there is your scary thought for the day!!😉
I remember many years ago when I was getting a new car stereo installed. They had just taken my paperwork and walked back to the shop when I remembered one question I forgot to ask them. They guy was like two seconds in front of me heading into the shop, which had one of those pushbutton key locks on the door. So I guessed, "I'll bet they never changed the default code that ships on push button locks everywhere". So I tried "2 and 4 together, then 3". The door opened right up. The guy I was chasing was surprised and asked how I got in there. I told him that they should change from the default code if they want to prevent customer entry. Their code was the same one that came on my bedside gun lockbox. And on the lock on the side door into our ambulance building. Anyone else remember 2+4,3 as the combination to one of their locks? It's not very unique at all.

Here, we have outdoor padlocks. They are waterproof with a rubber stopper over the key hole. I have no idea about the brand but they are pretty much the same.

We keep larger spray cans of lock de icer in every vehicle and small pocket sized ones in our pockets for when the door locks freeze up.

That usually only happens with freezing rain.
I agree, used that rubber stopper lock for many years with no problem.
I am in S.C., so if I want to see zero in winter, I look at old test papers.

Latest posts

Back