What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While visiting mom at the nursing home, she said she'd like to have Casey's pizza for dinner tonight instead of the nursing home chow. Those of you who aren't from the Midwest probably aren't familiar with Casey's pizza, but it's a staple out here and since just about every little town has a Casey's convenience store in it, you can get it everywhere. So, what mom wanted, mom got. I ran out to Casey's and brought back a pepperoni and mushroom pizza for dinner...
They make a good pizza.
Rather have Casey Pizza than PH.

With the talk of spam lately... Tonight I had a fried spam sandwich, open face with a salad. I always go 1st class 🤣 What happened... got 2 slices of white bread out. When my back was turned the puppy swiped one. I'd already put the bread away, didn't want to get out another slice.

Had lunch in the little town. At the best meat n 3 for miles. It was pitiful! The deep fried porkchop was all breading, mashed potatoes.. blah. Cornbread and tea were good.

I'd never had them so when the lady suggested I try the fried green beans I said okay. Big mistake, fried in bacon drippings. I like and use drippings all the time at home. The greenbean hulls acted like sponges, absorbing the grease. It was like trying to eat a plate of bacon fat, disgusting...

But, I've noticed the last few months that the quality of food at small mom and pop places has dropped faster than the price going up. I've noticed this at several places I eaten at since the fall. Multiple meals, places I eat regularly.

It's not in the food preparation. It's the quality of the food they get from the distributors. They're between a rock and a hard place. (expect with the greasy green beans)

Edit to add... grilled green beans actually sound good. (just checked some recipes)

fried green beans.JPG

Last edited:
I'm allergic to Fluoride like you wouldn't believe! Less than a cup full and I'm sick for days.
But yeah, I was raised on well water/spring-water if it wasn't for my kid buying me a Berkley
water filter I'd be up a creek.

While visiting mom at the nursing home, she said she'd like to have Casey's pizza for dinner tonight instead of the nursing home chow. Those of you who aren't from the Midwest probably aren't familiar with Casey's pizza, but it's a staple out here and since just about every little town has a Casey's convenience store in it, you can get it everywhere. So, what mom wanted, mom got. I ran out to Casey's and brought back a pepperoni and mushroom pizza for dinner...
They make a good pizza.
Rather have Casey Pizza than PH.
I’m from Northern Illinois. Casey’s pizza is wonderful.

I’m not sure yet. I thawed boneless pork loin chops but not sure how I’ll prepare them. Any suggestions?
I would cook like beef steaks & watch them real close the first time & take notes. Add garlic, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers & a side of asparagus, bake potatoes & a salad of your choice.

Not sure yet. Last night was steamed spinach with bacon and a light dressing of blue plate mayonnaise mixed 50/50 with vinegar and a touch of the soy sauce and black pepper.

Red is better however to my taste sometimes though.

Latest posts

Back