What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a pot of chili this afternoon, turned out really well. Except I forgot to put jalapenos on my grocery list. I don't add enough to change the heat level but dice up a few for flavor. The chili was good but fresh jalapeno's would have made it just a little bit better.

I had a big bowl for supper.

What do you call

It's called MidRats pronounced as one word, an old navy term for midnight rations. It was for people coming off duty or going on at midnight. The galley kitchen staff knew how many meals were required for those people only. But there always a few extras so if you woke up hungry you could go check. Many times it was a sandwich and chips. And you could get a cup of bug juice to wash it down. (bug juice-grape or orange flavored drink that made me miss koolaid, and I'm not found of koolaid)

Last edited:
For lunch mom wanted potato soup. I get the Bear Creek brand. I had the large packet so I only used one. Says to use 8 cups of boiling water. I used 3 cups milk, 2 cups heavy cream, 3 cups boiling water and whisked in the mix. Added garlic salt and some butter. Put it in the pressure cooker on soup setting. Let it cook and then stirred it up thoroughly once it depressurized. Turned out great and Mom was very happy.

For lunch mom wanted potato soup. I get the Bear Creek brand. I had the large packet so I only used one. Says to use 8 cups of boiling water. I used 3 cups milk, 2 cups heavy cream, 3 cups boiling water and whisked in the mix. Added garlic salt and some butter. Put it in the pressure cooker on soup setting. Let it cook and then stirred it up thoroughly once it depressurized. Turned out great and Mom was very happy.
Bear Creek soups are really good!

Tuscan-Style Shrimp Pene with tomatoes and mushrooms

20220425_192736.jpg

Yesterday I grilled some burgers on the traeger. I usually take a pound of beef, 1 egg, hamburger seasoning, panko crumbs and mustard and mix that together and then form the patties.
Made homemade sesame seed buns
Pickles canned last year... good stuff.

Tonight, I'll probably just make some pasta for my kiddo. She will be starving after practice. It's just the two of us, hubs headed up to work today.

Got a hankerin' for some stir-fry chicken on freshly-steamed Jasmine rice, using this bottle of sweet & tangy Chinese sauce I bought the other day on a whim, and mixing onion, sweet mini peppers & jalapenos in with the chicken. Dunno why, it just struck me as something I wanna eat tonight, lol. Might find something else to throw into the mix too, ya never know about these things... gotta water the saplings first, maybe drink another beer or two to get myself into 'chef mode' and create another masterpiece in the kitchen, lol. Ya don't cook for four decades without learnin' SOMETHING about making tasty vittles... that's for goldurned sure. ;)

Instant Pot spaghetti. That's one of the standbys we use when we can't think of anything else to make. It's super easy, and always comes out good. And makes a ton, so we have plenty of leftovers that we vacuum seal and freeze for a rainy day when we don't feel like cooking anything. I spread it out really flat in the vacuum seal bags. So it's a flat rectangle about 1 inch thick. That stacks nicely in the freezer, and the thinness makes it quick to thaw. Or you can dump it frozen into a large pot of boiling water or into the microwave, and don't have to worry about a hot outside that is still frozen in the middle. I've found that flat/thin vacuum packs are the best way to freeze stuff, for quick use later.

Last edited:
Holy Toledo!!! That homemade stir-fry was AWESOME, I love that Thai Jasmine rice, and the fresh veggies chopped up and added to the mix were delicious! I also dumped in some of the 'Mixed Nuts' from the bar, as I like rotating stock... mostly peanuts & almonds, but a few cashew & pistachio halves might have made it into the pan, lol. The whole key to good stir-fry is to add the ingredients in sequence, allowing each ingredient to develop its optimal flavor. Best news of all, I have plenty of leftovers, or at least enough for two more burly plates in the near future, lol. Gotta love stir-fried chicken, though I also make a mean plate o' broccoli beef, aye? Whew, I'm full now, so I'm gonna retire and read a good Western... I went to the library today and picked up a card, so now I can read a few good books whenever I want to take a break. I'll probably go with one of the Johnstone Westerns tonight, those are always entertaining... I'm not big on badge bullies but the WILL TANNER: U.S. DEPUTY MARSHAL series is excellent, lol. If there was EVER "my kinda cop" I reckon it'd be Will Tanner, 10-4? ;)

"HASTA LUEGO, YOUSE HOMESTEADING HEROES!!!" :)

Last time I was dog housed, half a lifetime back, I made Pasta Alfredo, Italian chicken strips, fried garlic toast and stir fried pasta with cabbage and tomatoes.

Back