What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fried up a catfish fillet and added a salad. I use a #8 cast iron camp oven as my fryer. It's not big enough for a whole fillet so I cut them up. I like the breading anyway, sprinkle in some old bay seasoning then batter the fish, tasty.

20221229_183929a.jpg

15-bean soup with chunks of ham & onion in it... forgot to get celery last time I was at the store, but I have some green salad makings, so no worries. The soup smells really good, I'm gonna let it simmer for another hour or so just so it's all done to perfection, lol. I might even make some cornbread to go with it, I know I have a few boxes of that Jiffy mix. I'm definitely NOT going hungry tonight, lol. But this is what holidays mean to me... there SHOULD be good cooking aromas filling one's home, ya know? And I'll have PLENTY of leftovers too! Soups only get better after a few days in the fridge! :D

My daughter bought a prime rib for Christmas and she only cooked half of it.
So tonight I cut the remaining slab into 2 thick rib eye steaks and pan fried them with butter and garlic.
It was really good and there was none left over.
After pan frying steaks I might not go back to grilling them.
My wife made black eye peas like every New Years Day.
I'm not a fan but I don't want to take a chance on having extra bad luck this year and according to the old wives tale they bring good luck throughout the year.

On Christmas Day my new son-in-law brought over a big roast which he cut into manageable-sized steaks and fried them in the pan. I never. I always broil them in the oven or put them on the grill, but it was really GOOD. Used leftovers in a soup this past week. I guess I'll be eating last year's leftovers. a couple days after Thanksgiving one of my sons also fried steaks in a pan. I still prefered to broil. I agree, @backlash something really good about frying steaks rather than broiling. Yes, they used oil and too much salt and pepper, still as good as mine.
Tonight, leftover chicken crockpot stuff with queso, corn chips, guacamole, refried beans, etc.

On Christmas Day my new son-in-law brought over a big roast which he cut into manageable-sized steaks and fried them in the pan. I never. I always broil them in the oven or put them on the grill, but it was really GOOD. Used leftovers in a soup this past week. I guess I'll be eating last year's leftovers. a couple days after Thanksgiving one of my sons also fried steaks in a pan. I still prefered to broil. I agree, @backlash something really good about frying steaks rather than broiling. Yes, they used oil and too much salt and pepper, still as good as mine.
Tonight, leftover chicken crockpot stuff with queso, corn chips, guacamole, refried beans, etc.

I fry steaks in a cast iron fry pan....but I start off with a dry pan and put it in the heat until it's smoking and then I put the steak in to put a sear on it.
I know it has seared enough when it lets go of the pan.
Don't fuss with it and move it.
Every smoke detector in the house will be yelling.
Once it lets go of it's own accord then flip it and hear the sear.
If you don't hear the sear the pan isn't hot enough.
same thing....leave the steak alone until it lets go.
I then top with salted butter and a grinding of salt.
I don't salt raw meat it draws the juice out of it.
Once the meat is done to your liking I push it off the burner and let it rest and relax.
There will be a lot of heat in the pan to keep it warm.
Then in French Bistro style I serve it with a huge pat of butter, salt and fresh lemon juice.
The butter melts and collects with the salt, lemon juice and steak juices on the plate to make a
excellent sauce.

I almost foundered myself! There was 21 pounds of crab legs, 500 craw dads, sausage 10 pounds of shrimp and potatoes.
I would have had to pick out the sausage and potatoes, wouldn't eat any of that LOL

Since we had the collards and one eyed peas for New years eve and ate everything I made pasta with homemade tomato and goat meat sauce yesterday.

More of that excellent 15-bean soup with ham chunks tonight, it was mighty tasty last night... :)
I have never had nor made 15 bean soup. I wonder if it comes in a package that you buy at the store? I always wonder about those bean mixes. Do some of the beans completely disintegrate before some of the others are actually done? Do you follow the recipe on the package? This would be something that I would make, eat a couple of meals from, and freeze the rest in meal sized packages.

Our RV fridge is out from the cold temps so not sure what we are having for dinner.
Most of our food is all in storage and I haven't brought it out to the property yet. Last night we went to the Mexican food place in town and had fajitas.

Latest posts

Back