What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are a lot of work but a favorite in our house!
Yes they are, but are totally worth it. Bierock making was usually done on a Saturday when the weather was too crappy to do anything else. You always knew it was a bierock day because the house smelled like boiled cabbage at 7:00 in the morning. We would make huge batches of bierocks and then freeze them. I would venture to guess that my mom would make 100 at a time. We would bake them, then pull them out of the oven, let them cool, then wrap them in paper towels and then freezer paper.

We do it a little different at our house, we still make big batches of them, but we bake them, then freeze solid first, then we use the food saver to vacuum pack them. That way, if we loose a package in the deep freeze, it's still good next fall when we find it.

Bierocks are common where I live, even the little amish store has them in the freezer section. I usually have a few of them in the freezer for a quick lunch. We have a small amish deli here and my cousin Mattie goes in 3 times a week and makes bierocks for sale. They sell sandwiches made to order, too, so it's a popular place for workers to stop in at noon.
We had take out barbeque from the bigger town tonight.

I grew up in central Kansas, around the Great Bend area. My mom is from Russell. They are a staple around that area. I even remember having them for school lunches there. Of course, that was when the lunch ladies made all the food in a kitchen at the school and it wasn't just shipped in from a central location.

Wait a minute...bierocks. Is that what Runza's are?...beef, cabbage & onions in a roll? I love them! They sell them at Nebraska football games, and Runza is a chain of restaurants in that area that specializes in these "sandwiches."

maxresdefault.jpg

Wait a minute...bierocks. Is that what Runza's are? I love them! They sell them at Nebraska football games, and Runza is a chain of restaurants in that area that specializes in these "sandwiches."

maxresdefault.jpg
Yep. That's what Runzas are based on. You all will have to make a trip up here to the Cornhusker state so you can give them a try.

Took my daughter out for dinner. She wanted to try a restaurant we had never been to before and we were having a hard time choosing. She has an app on her phone that makes a "wheel of fortune" and we entered six restaurants into it and "spun the wheel". It landed on a place called Wasabi Grill. It has several types of Asian food, from Chinese to Thai to Japanese cuisine. She had beef fried rice and I had Pad Thai chicken. It was fantastic. 100% will repeat!

Took my daughter out for dinner. She wanted to try a restaurant we had never been to before and we were having a hard time choosing. She has an app on her phone that makes a "wheel of fortune" and we entered six restaurants into it and "spun the wheel". It landed on a place called Wasabi Grill. It has several types of Asian food, from Chinese to Thai to Japanese cuisine. She had beef fried rice and I had Pad Thai chicken. It was fantastic. 100% will repeat!
Having fun and making great memories♥️

Yes they are, but are totally worth it. Bierock making was usually done on a Saturday when the weather was too crappy to do anything else. You always knew it was a bierock day because the house smelled like boiled cabbage at 7:00 in the morning. We would make huge batches of bierocks and then freeze them. I would venture to guess that my mom would make 100 at a time. We would bake them, then pull them out of the oven, let them cool, then wrap them in paper towels and then freezer paper.

We do it a little different at our house, we still make big batches of them, but we bake them, then freeze solid first, then we use the food saver to vacuum pack them. That way, if we loose a package in the deep freeze, it's still good next fall when we find it.
Our batch makes around 50 so they are gone in 3 or 4 days. Tonight we did breakfast bacon sausage and eggs with toast, breakfast for dinner.

6CB38BF5-677D-482F-AA7C-55517C2CAA0C.jpeg

Well, I'm about to make some "pot burritos" for dinner, I bought all the ingredients today... would've started sooner, but I was posting some pics of the Alabama Hills, and that took longer than expected. Meh, I'm growing old, EVERYTHING takes longer than expected, lol... 😳

Maybe I'll snap a pic when I dump the weed into the burrito mix... got nothin' better to do tonight, don'tcha know? ;)

A few pics of the "pot burrito" batch I made today, the mix is tastier than it looks, lol. Once the fresh onions, Jalapenos and vine-ripened tomatoes were about done, I dumped at least an ounce of shake or leaf atop the veggies, then dumped a large bowl of chicken chunks atop the weed and stirred it all together before letting it simmer a little while longer. I usually cook the chicken separately, then chunk it up with a knife and dump it into the mix to simmer, aye? I never overcook my burrito mix, I like my veggies to have flavor & texture, so I don't boil 'em down into paste, lol. Same goes for the chicken, I like it to just barely be done when it enters the mix, it'll finish cooking as the mix simmers on the range. :)

I don't normally use the 'El Yucateco' sauces in the mix, I drizzle 'em atop the guacamole & sour cream as a garnish, but I added some of each flavor to the mix to help mask the weed, lol. A little fresh cilantro helped too, we have that in our local grocery stores. Anyway, the mix turned out well, I wolfed that burrito down in record speed, lol. After I cleaned all the dishes, I went into my bathroom to brush my teeth, and I found myself laughing out loud over a funny thought... do y'all remember those Foster's Lager ads on TV years ago? The one-word ads like "KEEPER!" and "SALAD!" Lol... for some reason (probably the dope), I flashed back to the salad ad, since I dumped all that weed into the mix. :oops:

I didn't even bother to clean it further, so there were leaf stems and other "lumber" in there, but I figured, meh, it'll add fiber! Roughage! And I let it simmer for a few moments so I wasn't chewing on sticks, lol. There was actually some broken-down bud in that bag as well, and that was good chronic, so I definitely felt better 20-30 minutes after macking the burrito plate. My foot feels great right now, I'm ready to run a marathon, lol... well, maybe not a marathon, more like walking to ye olde rack to lie down and read a good book, 10-4? I'm perfectly satisfied with the experiment, and now that pesky bag of weed is gone... got one more sack o' leaf for "pot lasagna" later, but it'll keep, lol. :cool:

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5632.JPG

IMG_5633.JPG
IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

IMG_5638.JPG

IMG_5640.JPG

IMG_5642.JPG

I just demolished that burrito, lol... it was pretty good. I messed up and didn't take a shot of the heap of melted shredded cheese atop the tortilla... probably distracted by a cat, lol. But rest assured, I put PLENTY of that shredded 'Mexican' cheese on there, then dumped heaps of the burrito mix atop the cheese... those tortillas are nice and fresh too, I like my flour tortillas to be soft and pliable. My folding job wasn't 100% this time around, but it worked! Too much filler, I reckon... that's why I always put the guac & sour cream outside, on top of the burrito, rather than inside. These burritos are eaten with fork, knife & spoon, otherwise they'd be too messy... but boy, are they DELICIOUS! Lol. I'm off to read, CHEERS! 😁

P.S. Later, when I'm hungry again, I'll do it all over and mack another "pot burrito"---got enough mix left to mack burritos for days on end, lol. That first burrito is certainly making my foot feel better... must be that "medical marijuana!" 🤪

Last edited:
@Buffalo just realized Kansas is one of the few states I've never been to. Had plenty of german food in the rust belt though.
---------------

I just had the toughest ribeye I've ever tried to eat. Must be processing old cows for steaks now. I've sold more than a few old cows in my life, heard they usually go for burger. Don't know for sure.

Latest posts

Back