What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fast food in town, nothing else open on monday night. I despise ff. Heard yesterday micky d's is starting layoffs nation wide. Probably a rumor but on the other hand... anyone else noticed ff places are empty these days? Less people than during covid. Except fried chicken, this is the south after all. 😁 Popeyes and the kfc put in extra lanes for the drive thru.

Even the grocery stores here are getting quiet. Just a few people in any store at a given time. Prices are simply too high. The whole town was dead on Saturday and the highway to the big city was empty as well. Some of the reasons along with the banks, that a freeze dryer is now on the horizon.

Alexandra made my favorite tonight. Roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy.

855DE2B7-4A81-4906-A46F-B4BC1AB03E76.jpeg

Having recently gained renewed appreciation for the benefits of fermented foods, I have since done four batches of curtido.

Curtido appeals to my frugal engineering spirit as alternative to Kim chi. That's the positive spin? The meaner spirits put more bluntly "Lazy! Cheapskate!", I don't take offense? Anyway, I've learned a lot from trial and error that I didn't pick up from all my YouTube viewing:

The first two batches failed because I wasn't accurate enough with salt. I've adapted to that critical part by weighing and calculating. I use 2.5% salt by weight of the veggies. It's lazy math that doesn't need to break out the calculator. Ten percent, move decimal over, cut in half is five, half of that viola! Target 2.5%.

My other learned tip that satisfies my OCD, especially given that you are growing bacteria and don't want to grow any of the bad stuff: after washing in soapy water and rinsing, use splashes of vinegar as disinfectant on everything. Especially your hands when you use them for mixing.

My last couple of batches have been fast and easy and delicious. Ends up costing about $1 per quart jar. A two pound cabbage is just about perfect after adding a small onion, A cup of shredded carrots, and a cup of shredded bell peppers; for two quart jars. And spiced with cayenne and ginger leaves me satisfied from my usual store bought Kim chi $6/ jar.

Latest posts

Back