What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scalloped potatoes, ham, asparagus, cheesecake with fresh strawberries.
Daughter says that prepared fresh strawberries, cleaned, diced up with a little sugar on them, causing them to get juicy is called macerating. That is how I prepare strawberries for using as a sauce on short cakes, etc.

"To macerate strawberries, all you have to do is sprinkle sugar on them, which draws out their juices so they become soft and sweet and deliciously saucy. Macerate is sometimes also used to mean "cause to grow thin or weak," or in other words, to make someone feel like a soft, squishy strawberry."

My last couple of batches have been fast and easy and delicious. Ends up costing about $1 per quart jar. A two pound cabbage is just about perfect after adding a small onion, A cup of shredded carrots, and a cup of shredded bell peppers; for two quart jars. And spiced with cayenne and ginger leaves me satisfied from my usual store bought Kim chi $6/ jar.
why don't you just make the kimchi? I make it all the time when we have cabbages

made a ham, broccoli and cauliflower casserole , smashed potatoes , rolls and a German cake "Bienenstich" . It's a yeast cake with pudding and cream filling and almonds on top. I had a huge stack of dishes to do, counted , one pot to make the vanille pudding, one bowl to make the whipped cream, one mixer bowl to make the dough, one plastic bowl to rest the dough, one pot to make the almond topping , one springform to bake it, one cake container to put it in....no wonder most American women buy cake in a box and icing in a jar....one bowl, and one throw away aluminum cake pan will do it...lol

We went over to my parents for lunch today.

F96A9E93-81F4-4FA1-B830-391BA095BF70.jpeg
3693B5D3-2BC4-48B8-B068-9902A403E76B.jpeg
262F19A4-C30B-4A0C-9B2D-C559D65AE60D.jpeg
1516C447-5726-4003-A620-6A67C204C1A4.jpeg
96E92763-1068-4128-9631-304CA388E8E1.jpeg
29121D13-643A-4195-8244-21148B60D73D.jpeg

Made Indian for some friends : tikka masala chicken, rice, naan bread, aloo gobi ( potato and cauliflower curry) , cucumber yoghurt sauce and mango chutney
Plus a Black Forest cake ( I don;t like Indian desserts)
Ate too much and it's almost all gone. Son just ate the last piece of cake

Back